Everyone check in

Wiped Out

Staff member
It's been a few weeks since we've done a check in. How is everyone doing?

Things with difficult child have been stressful but husband and I are sticking to our healthy eating and exercising and it is so much easier to deal with the difficult child stuff when I'm keeping on top of things. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Only .4 lb came off last week but that pushed me to 5.

I was none too happy after tracking the entire week and working out 5 days to find that all I lost was .4 but then I decided to not beat myself up over it. I'm going to be happy with the 5 pounds gone and hope I can keep it up. I'm still planning lots of new recipes to keep from getting bored. This week I'm trying 3 new recipes!

I hope everyone is doing well in their healthy lifestyle quest:)

KTMom91

Bronchitis has finally gone, and I'm no longer coughing so hard I pee myself. Went to the gym today, first time in three weeks. Did fine on the treadmill, walked for 45 minutes, my legs felt a little sore, but it was a good sore. No problems...until I stepped off the treadmill and almost fell. My knee (not the one I just had surgery on) buckled and I could barely walk. After two Aleve and numerous ice bags, I think I'll be all right, but I'll skip tomorrow and go back to the gym on Wednesday.

trinityroyal

Sharon, Way To Go on the 5 lb weight loss. Glad to hear that you and husband are able to keep up with the gym visits, and that it's helping with difficult child stress

Mary, sorry about your knee. Make sure that you rest and let it heal properly. I noticed that with my husband...once he had surgery to fix the really bad knee, the not-so-bad knee started acting up.

I'm hanging in there. Exercise has pretty much slowed to a crawl, well a stagger-and-waddle, really. I try to walk around the block at work at least a few times a week, and do some gentle stretches every day. I'm proud to say that I can still touch my toes, which at this point is the only time I get to see them.

I've really been focusing on trying to eat as much healthy food as I can manage. husband continues to be a sweetheart, loading up the house with small healthy nibbles, so there's always something on hand.

My biggest issues food-wise are mechanical. I just don't have a lot of room, so after 3 bites I'm full, but then 10 minutes later I'm hungry all over again. I've been keeping up with the Boost and Ensure supplement shakes, just to make sure that I'm getting enough protein and nutrition, even if I'm not quite cutting it on the calorie front.

OB-doctor says that everything's going well with the little ones, so it seems that my nutrition strategies are holding things together for now. Latest ultrasound results show the twins to be healthy and BIG. As this process continues, I wonder more and more, where the heck am I going to find the room.

I just keep thinking about a woman I read about. She has primordial dwarfism and is about 20 inches tall, and she managed to give birth to a healthy, 7lb, 18-inch-long baby. Heck if she can manage THAT, I can manage to get these twins to term!

Hope everyone's doing well!

Trinity

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Not too bad here. Stressed of course, but it's not so bad as it was. My worst vice is eating dry cereal as a snack while reading in bed, which I know is bad for me. But... I guess it could be worse!

Getting more sleep now on the Lexapro too. Strange disconnected feeling from yesterday is gone!

Trinity, I envy you & feel sorry at the same time! Keep up with the healthy nibbles but don't forget comfort food every so often!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mary-Glad the bronchitis is better-sorry about your knee.

Trinity-It sounds like you are well with the healthy eating. Glad the twins are doing well. How many more months?

Stepto2-Glad you are feeling better and that you are getting more sleep.

trinityroyal

Sharon, I'm just past 5 months now, so allegedly I have 4 more to go.

My "official" due date is Sept 27th. OB-doctor said that she's going to do her best to get me to 37 weeks, but I have my doubts. Little easy child was born at 36 weeks, at 9 lbs, and 23 inches long. :faint:

Given the measurements taken so far, these babies are following in their big brother's footsteps. So...I figure that I'll be done by late August, if I can even hold out until then.

Trinity

M

ML

I'm doing ok. Just busier than a one armed paper hanger. I'm maintaining the 4 pound loss and ramping up on the exercise. I have a goal of 10 pounds to lose and have taken all the great advice I received here and other places and plan to go slow. No more than a pound a week, and a half a pound is acceptable. I have about 4 inches of extra fat around my belly but otherwise my proportions are ok. I'm sure the post menopause hormones and cortisol factors into this. It's wierd because my waist measures 33, my bust 38 and hips 37. Thanks for being here.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Not doing well at all. I've gained back all my weight over the past few months and initially it was due to inactivity. It is very difficult for me to stay motivated to MOVE in the winter and get out to the gym. Plus, having to go home at lunchtime to walk a little puppy didn't help me at all. Then, once the sedentary lifestyle kicks in, so follows the munching and grazing...and choosing the wrong foods. Well, not entirely the wrong foods. I always start my days out well but then they slowly deteriorate to not so good.

But today is a new day. Once this sinus infection is in check, I will get back to my walking routine - along with remembering to take my allergy medications - and that will get me motivated to better health. Plus, it's almost time to plant my veggie garden, so that always motivates me to eat better as well. And the gardening work itself will also help me get in shape.

So, my check in is that it hasn't been so great, but I know I will get back on track.

I'm frustrated because I'm not exercising as much as I should be. My treadmill is still broken. The repair person called me at the end of last week to let me know I could schedule another appointment, I returned his call and haven't heard from him since. I'll call him again either today or tomorrow.

Without the treadmill, I have no motivation to go for a walk/jog in the cold, damp rainy weather we've been having. Plus, it is difficult for me to find the time. When I'm able to use my treadmill, I can get up early (I refuse to go jogging alone outside in a basically deserted area in the dark or before anyone is out yet), use it later in the day ( I can't leave my difficult children unattended in the afternoons and taking them with me defeats the entire purpose), or in the evenings ( I don't have time to get outside before it gets dark - either busy with the kids, preparing and cleaning up dinner, etc...) However, I have no excuse for not using my resistance bands!!! I only have myself to blame for my now very flabby arms.

On a more positive note, I've managed to cut down on the "junk" I was polishing off due to stress. I've been eating very healthy meals and am slowly getting used to much less salt. I'm definitely at a good weight - I honestly don't need to lose any more weight. I just need to firm up!!! WFEN

Wiped Out

Staff member
Trinity-Four more months-you can do it:)

ML-Good for maintaining your weight loss! You will lose the full 10:)

Jo-You have a great attitude. I wish I could grow a garden this year but with my dog I can't. I hope to do tomatoes on the side of the house.

WFEN-Sorry that treadmill is still broken. Glad you are doing well with the healthy eating! What do you do with the resistance bands for your arms? I'm interested because I always struggle with my arms even with the weights I do.

Sharon (WO), I think weights and believe it or not, even the cross trainer are much better for your arms than resistance bands. Basically you can stand on the bands and pull them up to your waist, hook them up to a door and pull them towards you, etc. If you're still interested, I can copy the directions that came with my bands for you. Part of the reason I don't use them is because I'm lazy and part of the reason is because I just don't think they work that well. Of course, I've NEVER given them too much of a chance, lol...

husband and I are trying to find a way to fit a health club into our budget. Today is his last day of cardiac rehab. He really needs to stay physically active and drop some more weight. And, as you know so well, I just feel so lost without exercise!!! We don't want to be limited to walking, jogging only in nice weather. And, we don't want to drop a fortune on more exercise equipment and have it break down again and take months to repair...

Congratulations on your recent weight loss!!! You're doing great!!!

And, to everyone else who is doing well, Way To Go!!! For those of us who need to get back on track, we WILL do it!!! I know everyone who has posted here has the motivation and drive necessary for success!!! Like I always say, living a healthy lifestyle is forever. All of us slip up now and then. It's ok. It's what we do most of the time that matters the most. It's nice to have all of you for support. WFEN

N

Nomad

I'm doing okay. I gained pounds due to stress.
This happens sometimes with- me...and with- many.
Then, I make a "correction.
I'm doing that now..but it is s.l.o.w.
I'm walking daily...mostly with- husband in the mornings. I'm also doing yoga with- a little meditation at the end to help with- the stress.
Today, I decided to go to the gym...I'm leaving in about 30 minutes.
by the way, I've been eating healthy and small portions, BUT I've also been eating (for dessert) this ff low sugar ice cream from Breyers. It is low cal/low points and yummy...HOWEVER, the chocolate gives me headaches! UGH!

Marguerite

Not doing too badly. I stopped losing weight when I was put on prednisone. I've gained back about two to three kilos, not gaining more and occasionally losing about half a kilo temporarily. I'm ravenous all the time but also tired and I know I could be eating better. Still not doing too badly, though.

My last blood tests were better than I've had for years, so despite the recent slight gain, I'm still improving. My liver function results were the lowest they've been in well over ten years (longer). Insulins resistance is still beautiful, cholesterol & triglycerides are also marvellous. There was one test which wasn't good, the GP asked me something about my diet and am I eating enough protein. I had to chuckle - I thought I could be eating too much protein! She wants me to have more blood tests but will wait another month and re-do everything at the same time.

Exercise - I'm moving better but still need more exercise. My neurologist gave me some exercises which I find difficult to do, but I'm doing the best I can. I need to do them lying down, but on a water bed is almost impossible. I think I will have to get into the habit of using the spare bed for the job.

I haven't posted here for ages because other than this, I've had no news.

I'm hoping I can go off the prednisone soon. It DOES help the pain but comes at a cost. And although the pain improves a lot on prednisone, the tests for ANA and rheumatoid factor were all negative. It just doesn't make sense.

I'll know more in a month.

Hang in there, all of you. Just do the best you can with what you've got. Can't do any more than that!

Marg

therese005us

Hello, is it too late to join in?
Are we allowed to vent our frustrations as well?
Here goes - and feel free to delete!
My asthma is almmost at its worst... after about 6 weeks of pneumonnia/bronchitis and whatever it was I had last week (left over this week)
Even though for four months I have eliminated everything nice to eat (bread, chocolate.... seriously, wheat, sugar, even tea!! and a host of other stuff) and stayed on a plain diet - except for the last week or so.... I have lost 20 kilos, and I DON'T FEEL BETTER~!! still can't exercise, and if I go to hospital... which is on the cards, i'll get filled up with prednison, hydrocortisone and put all the weight back on and feel totally depressed as well...

At least I feel at peace about going to hospital now that my DS has been improving... that's what has kept me from seeking treatment before now as I didn't feel I could leave him. Plus having little cherub off and on the past six months...

So, that's my gripes... and update.... Even though you don't all know me to really care... I hope I haven't butted in too much.

TerryJ2

I'm just sending support and catching up on things.

I'm so glad that most of you are doing well, and I know that it's hard to keep off weight when you're really busy and don't have time to cook or exercise.

I'm walking 5 mi tomorrow with-an acquaintance and I'm kind of worried. I usually walk by myself so I can turn around any time I want.

Trish, of course you're not butting in. That's what this board is for!
I am so sorry that the prednisone puffs you up and kind of undoes everything good you've done, but look at it this way: the better you take care of yourself, the less of a detrimental effect the prednisone will have on you. Long term, it is not a good thing to stay on prednisone, so take care of yourself!

Marguerite

I'm updating on my update. I've had this bad cough for weeks now, it's really bad. My chest hurts so much that coughing, even breathing, is painful. If I start coughing I can't stop, it just keeps on going until I'm gagging. husband has just been diagnosed with whooping cough ahd has been started on antibiotics. difficult child 3 probably DID have wqhooping cough also, he should have been on antibiotics when we first took him to the doctor (while away for easy child's wedding) but thta doctor didn't want to do anything, was insistent that difficult child 3's cough was post-viral when in fact it was getting worse and very gunky. Plus the fever was an issue, that was new. A blood test would have been a good idea, but hey - the doctor had overcrowded waiting rooms and we were strangers...

And now it looks like I have caught whooping cough, and I CAN'T take antibiotics. No treatment options.

I count back the weeks - it was two weeks ago that we had tickets to a concert and I had to miss it. I'd already been sick for a couple of weeks at that point. I don't feel any better than I did the day of the concert. OK folks, it's not just a cold then...

I see the rheumatologist next week, I'm going to ask him if I can go off prednisone, at least during winter, because I suspect I'd be fighting this bug more effectively if I wasn't on prednisone. I'm only on 4 mg a day, but I've been on it for several months now. The only good thing was, I was able to slightly reduce my strong pain medications. But I feel so sick right now that I might need to increase the pain medications to compensate.

My weight - currently about the 76 Kg mark. At my lowest, my weight was down to 73 Kg. It was still dropping when I was put on prednisone (about Easter, a bit before I think), then the weight loss slammed to a halt and began going back up. But I'm pleased - I seem to be able to hold it at about 76 Kg. I'm doing my best to keep my healthy eating habits. At the moment though, I can't drink as much water as I need to because drinking ANYTHING cold, or drinking it fast (faster than a small sip at a time) will trigger a coughing fit. And they are really, really bad. The way I feel right now, I want to go find every parent who is sooky about immunising her kids against whooping cough, and go breathe on them (the adults) to let them know WHY this is so important. Of course there are people who need to avoid immunisations (like me, from here on - although I had all my shots when I was supposed to; the ban on them is a recent one for me, since I have auto-immune problems which flare badly with immunisations) but whenever the immunisation rate drops below 65%, we get whooping cough epidemic. SO we need ENOUGH people to be immunised, to protect those of us who can't be. Who GENUINELY can't be, not simply prefer not to because 'it's not natural'. "Natural" is what I'm enduring now. Natural is the death rate we get when small babies or elderly people get diseases like this.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. This cough and sore chest is making me cranky and mean...

Trish, welcome to Healthy Living. We do what we can here, it's not always an easy answer. I think everyone here knows you're relatively new, you don't have to have been on the board longer than Methuselah to join in.

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, researchers in the US have found that the childhood whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine does not necessarily last for a lifetime.

They are recommending that all adults get revaccinated against pertussis/diptheria/tetanus, using a combined vaccine called the DTaP.

If you have gotten your immunity by actually catching and recovering from whooping cough, you shouldn't need any type of booster vaccine.

I got my DTaP last year and had no side effects beyond a sore arm and feeling a tad feverish for a day.

M

ML

(((((((Marg)))))))))))) Oh I am so sorry to hear about your being so sick. Ugh. I agree with you about immunizations; those of us can, should. Please take extra care of our dear friend during this time. Love and prayers for healing, ML

Marguerite

GoingNorth, we have the same info here. Our kids are supposed to get booster shots from about 15 yrs to 17 yrs. difficult child 3 was just at the younger edge of that boundary, plus because he doesn't attend school, we didn't feel it was so urgent. Plus he's needle phobic - we were working up to getting him used to the idea, but felt we still had another year or more.

I knew I'd have to take my chances, but once someone else in the family gets it, I'm in trouble. I just hope I haven't given it to mother in law. I'm going to suggest she gets her immunity checked out, next time she has blood tests ordered. She also needs to be careful with immunisations, she has an autoimmune disease which can be aggravated if her immune system is stimulated.

Marg