Everything I like is expensive or fattening!

susiestar

Roll With It
If you are substituting oil for melted butter, be aware that butter is about 70% oil and 30% water, so you would actually only need about 2/3-3/4 the amount of oil. Then add a bit more liquid like milk or vanilla or coffee (depends on what you are cooking) than the recipe calls for. I don't generally add water because it doesn't add flavor and you can really punch up the flavor with other liquids

While whipped cream isn't really healthy, it is still better than the chemical laden cool whips and other fluffy toppings. If we are doing one of those recipes that calls for cool whip, I use 1/2 to 1 tsp corn starch for every cup of heavy cream, mixed in with the sugar. This will stabilize your cream enough to make it last the way cool whip does. It doesn't help cut down on fat, but it sure does cut down on chemicals. It also gives a much better mouth feel and helps you eat less. The fat tells your brain and body when you have had enough, and this helps you have smaller portions with-o feeling deprived.

One thing we really like are those poke cakes. You bake a cake, pref white or yellow, then poke holes in the top and pour jello over it, then cover it with cool whip for icing. I use unflavored jello and a mix of thawed frozen strawberries, mashed a bit and a bit of water and vanilla to make the jello. Then the stabilized whipped cream on top. It will blow your mind if you have tried the jello/cool whip version! I often freeze about 1/2 the cake and cut the rest into very small pieces - just 3-4 bites or so. It gives the sweet fix without all the chemicals and it cuts calories. I used to take this to office parties and it would be the first thing emptied, though it is rich enough that you don't really want a huge slice.

If you are a chocolate cake lover, it is easy to make a scratch cake with lower fat. I have a recope we love, but to make any chocolate cake richer and more satisfying with lower fat, try pureed prunes or dates for most of the fat. I loathe and despise eating either dates or prunes by themselves, but in a chocolate cake they are incredible.

Jabberwockey

Grapeseed oil is not even close to 4 times the cost of olive oil if you are a careful shopper. I never pay that much. If you shop at Sams, check out theirs.

Nearest Sams is half an hour away although they are building one in town. Our problem right now it the town we live in, while somewhat large, is small enough to not have a lot of the specialty items.

Be careful with fat free products. Studies show that we humans tend to eat more, up to half as much more, if we are eating fat free instead of full fat foods.

We don't eat fat free stuff if possible. Don't like the taste! And Lil had a bad experience with it before we met. Was eating fat free everything and her hair and skin dried out, her joints started to creak and pop. She went to the doctor and he scolded her for going completely fat free. Our body NEEDS fat, just not some of the types and in the amounts we tend to consume.

SuZir

With low fat and fat frees there are products that are good and those that are not so good. In some fat is replaced with sugar, some taste awful and so on, but there are also lots of lower fat options, that are good. At my neck of woods most of our typical favourite dairy products work almost as good low fat as higher fat. We tend to use lots of all kinds of sour milk products that are often very low in fat (less than 1 %) that are just fine like that. In meats choosing naturally lower fat meats is sacrifice only to your wallet.

Our problem tends to be that not only do we get too much fat, we get wrong kind of fat. Less saturated fat and replacing part of it with unsaturated fat would be healthier.

Jabberwockey

We pretty much have the too much fat under control, its the wrong kind that will take a lot of work! Just found out yesterday how many of our favorite foods have trans fat in them and to say it was disappointing and disturbing would be an understatement.

Lil

butter on the bread

We had a long talk about butter with respect to the trans fat issue too, since virtually ALL shortenings and solid margarines have trans fat. Crisco has trans fat! I had NO idea! That means anything cooked with shortening - pie crust and most commercial bakery items - will have trans fat!

But butter is high in saturated fats and that is bad for folks like Jabber and me, who have a family history of cholesterol problems. Both of my parents had bypass surgery and died of heart problems, his mom has had the plaque cleaned from the arteries in her neck twice. So lower the saturated fat is a must. Coconut oil is actually worse than butter for saturated fat. Dietician said not to use it because, although people are arguing that it's okay because it's a plan...it's STILL saturated fat and there's NO evidence it's somehow exempt because coconuts are plants.

Still, there is the "spreadable" butter now, that's mixed with canola oil. She suggested that in place of all butter or solid shortenings.

ARGGGHHHH!

Okay.

I'm blind, now.

Cedar

:rofl:I can't believe no one commented on that back when he posted it! LOL!!!