Ex-Judges Indicted in Kids-For-Cash Scheme

CrazyinVA

Staff member
That's MSNBC's headline, not mine. But, it fits.

This is an update to the story I posted awhile back. The whole things just makes me sick, but I'm glad they were indicted. I hope these guys go to jail for a long, long time.

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - An indictment accuses two former Pennsylvania judges of racketeering, bribery and extortion in connection with a $2.8 million scheme to funnel youth offenders to private detention centers.

A federal grand jury returned the 48-count indictment late Wednesday afternoon. It was made available to the public Thursday morning.

Former Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella Jr. and Michael Conahan are accused of taking kickbacks related to the construction of two youth detention facilities.

The indictment says Ciavarella routinely deprived youth defendants of their right to counsel and ordered kids into detention even when probation officers didn't recommend it.

Full story here: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32776723/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.U3lfpihX-IQ

TerryJ2

I remember reading about that. The evidence was very clear so I knew they'd be indicted.
What a shame for those kids to have to go through that.