Experience with a partially blocked bowel? update

Lothlorien

Have her try a suppository to help loosen up from the other end. (sorry ladies!)

I would really make sure to get her in to see a gastroenterologist. It sounds more like Chrohn's than anything.

susiestar

Roll With It
Apparently her poor body has kept accumulating stool on the side wall, and the bowel just keeps stretching. At this point it is pushing up under her ribcage and down into her pelvis. Because of the swelling/stretching of the bowel, she kept having what we thought were normal bowel movements.

So, tonight, we are doing the deal. Go lightly is just not fun to watch your kid go through, but as she is a easy child she is just grumbling when I bring another cup in to her. You have to drink 1 gallon in 2 hours. It will flush a bunch out. It works for a total of 8-10 hours, including the drinking time.

The doctor did say the pain relievers were a mistake, but not OUR mistake. She is also the one who called it a blockage, making me crazy when I looked it up on the web. Not sure what the technical term is, but it is not a blockage as most people would think of one.

busy, We started seeing the doctor because unrelenting abdominal pain. It was really really bad, and we were shuffled from doctor to doctor, with me having to really PUSH for appointments. She had several ultrasounds, and bloodwork, and urinalysis, but nothing, NOTHING showed up. The doctor finally saw it on the Xray.

Getting the stuff out should help the pain a lot. But we won't have any idea WHY until AFTER it is out. She sees the pediatrician next week, and the pediatrician gastro too. pediatrician gastro is out this week and his nurse is just a whackjob. He is really really good, but she is the only phone nurse for 4 pediatrician gastros.

Thanks to ALL of you for your care, concern and prayers. AND for your info.

Hugs,

Susie

saving grace

Susie not sure about the "years worth" but the bowels and intestines can form pockets that the poop gets caught in which can then become inflamed and cause pain. My babygirl was also pooping what we thought was normal but when they did the xray they her whole stomach looked like it was filled with popcorn (poop) we were shocked, and then it still took days worth of medicine for her to have a large loose bowel movement and she is only 5 years old!.

The enema will only work the lower half, she needs something to take orally that will flush her out, if she has a blockage and is pooping to me that sounds like she needs "help" with passing it. The poor thing

Good Luck
Grace

Star*

call 911........call 911
SusieStar

Pain medications often cause constipation. I haven't heard of GO Lightly but with an encopretic son - I have tried Mirlax - to me it's more of a long term stool softener like Colace.

Whatever is causing the body to bulk up - would be my concern. They are getting the poop out - but that bowel is going to be stretched out of proportion so badly and she'll probably need to stay on a prescription of some sort to keep the bowl working while it heals.

My money on knowing what is going on would be on the Gastroenterologist. I'm amazed with the x-rays and pelvic exams they did that no one felt anything. Poor kid - sorry for her.

Star

ps - maybe offer her some Desitin ointment because I'm SURE with all the pooing she's going to be hurting. Desitin is for baby's but helps with sore bottoms.

mom_in_training

Hi Susie, My son was hospitalized for the same thing the first week of Nov 2007. He had been going but apparently not enough and they did find via x-rays that he was compacted. They ended up doing the go lightly via NG Tube and thank god it finally cleared. He started vomiting and his stomach was so badly distended that I ended up taking him to the emergency room. They were talking about taking him into emergency surgery but thought to try the go lightly first. This is a very serious and evasive surgery that could very well create other health issues that we or anybody for that matter certainly do not need. He was in the hospital for five days due to the compaction. Keep going on the go lightly and it will clear. I can totally see how this can happen to a human.

I have two horses and have seen many horses colic. After being treated by the vet (Oiled, Mineral) via tube through nostril does not mean necessarily that they are out of the woods. You might see that they pass a lil stool along with some oil but what you don't see is the compaction that they might still have way up there in their bowel track and next thing you know your calling the vet back. It can be fatal. This is not uncommon for some horses.

F

flutterbee

Susie -

I'm so sorry you're baby girl is going through this. Give her a hug for me.

Keep us posted. She has to be absolutely miserable. Poor girl.

fedup

A friend's hubby had his bowel burst- and it was a long time healing, and no fun whatsoever.

I presume there is no chance of it being the Appendix? I know that can be really rough, too.

I hope your daughter gets to feeling better soon.

wakeupcall

Intersuseption. My 8 year old grandson has intersuseption. The gastroenterologist at Boston Children's Hospital explained it as a telescope going in and out. If they can't catch it going in, none of the tests show that there is a thing wrong. The pain develops because the body is trying to "right" itself and working to get the telescoping back out. As soon as it's back out, the pain subsides till it does it again. He's on Miralax at pretty hefty doses to ease the pain as much as possible. Surgery is warranted if they could ever catch it and they would remove that portion of the colon.....till then, we're hoping maturity will help.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi all. Thanks for the help and prayers. We had some really rough days/nights, and I am still fighting the migraine. Plus dealing with the trip to see my neck doctor (all is wonderful with the surgery on ME, but need to see osteoporosis clinic because very thin bone - so am in process of setting that up).

Jess Update- The GoLightly was a one day thing, then miralax 2x/day until monday. She sees doctor on Monday unless develops fever.

She is NOT cleaned out, and I do NOT think the golightly did the trick. The pediatrician gastro will either call back with a time by noon today or we will call his office back and get it done. The pediatrician is pretty good, and I know she is doing research on this (just the way she is, thankfully) but we are going to see the pediatrician gastro. With no fever or vomiting, the doctor does not thing the whole NG tube thing is needed. BUT the pediatrician does have calls in to several pediatrician gastros.

The whole golightly night was horrible, just horrible. She was very sweet, didn't yell or fuss other than saying she didn't like it much. Who would? But after several hours it just plain hurt.

Thanks for the advice on the ointment, we actually were told to use hemorrhoid cream. Just outside, but it keeps the skin from swelling.

I certainly plan to push for inpatient treatment if they have to do more. I really really think the WHY of it is what we need to know. But they won't say until she is cleaned out.

Hugs to all,

Susie