experience with Paypal???

K

Kjs

I have never used Paypal. difficult child asked about a month ago if he could sign up for this online game. It was like $5.00 for a month. So, we said it was alright.

Silly us, we gave him the card and let him do it. Then shortly after I noticed two more Paypal withdrawls on my bank statement. I questioned him and he said, sorry, I bought something for my game!!!! Chewed him out and that was it.

He knew we had unexpected expenses with the Vet and car repairs over the weekend. (discussed this because he wanted to buy some expensive pants)

then he got in big time trouble from us regarding school again.

just checked my bank account and again on Sunday, there were two paypal withdrawls. one on Monday and two on Tuesday.

Just wondering, once you set up a paypal account does he have access to it or would he need the card each time?

So..I am at work ready to really lay into him, but if I do so before school it could result in a disaster for school.

Kathy813

Staff member
I use Paypal for Ebay purchases. You do not need the card each time but you do need the username and password.

If you change the password, then he won't be able to make any more unauthorized purchases.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Oh Kjs....are you gonna be in for it when the teen years really hit...lol!

Kathy is right, you need to go onto the Paypal page and change the username and password. The username is normally your main email account so I am assuming he is getting these messages sent to HIS email account and not yours so this password would be sent to his account so I would immediately change that. Then I would set a new password.

Boy oh boy...never give a 12 year old your credit/debit card...ugh.

Lothlorien

Yep, change the account. If you can't get in, cancel paypal withdrawls with your bank. I'd take the game away and whatever else he purchased, since they are "yours."

Stella Johnson

I would cancel the entire paypal account. No way would I let my difficult child have access to my credit cards any time she pleased.

Steph

K

Kjs

The thing is he didn't have access. We allowed him to join a game for $5.42. In the past 4 days he has charged almost $70.00.
there was one charge that hasn't cleared my bank account yet. I finally after 5 minutes of talking got difficult child to give me his email address and password. Then it didn't work, so I called him back and made him give me it again. I asked him for the password for the paypal account and he said he didn't have one.
I forwarded all the confirmations from his email to mine because I am sure he will be changing his password soon.
I tried paypal with all the passwords he "swears" he has. didn't work. So, I sent a reply to recover password. Haven't gotten an answer back yet. thinking I am just going to call paypal and cancel the whole thing.
but you know what...he read off my account number on my card to me. I am wondering now if he has that written down somewhere!
I swear, between this and school my head is spinning!

Stella Johnson

He is lying to you.

All he needs to make purchases now is his own paypal username and password. He knows what those are or you wouldn't have recent purchases added to your credit card.

He probably does have your credit card # written down somewhere.

It would be wise to have the credit card cancelled and have a new number issued as well as having the paypal account closed completely.

In the future, don't give your difficult child your credit card even if he says it's for a "one time" purchase.

Steph

K

Kjs

Ok. I just talked to paypal. I gave them the information on the "confirmation" emails for each purchase. has invoice number, buyer name, I confirmed the last for digits of my card.
They told me this isn't an active account. The purchases were made without opening an account. (That is what he told me but I didn't think that was possible) I asked if I could get a verification email saying the account was closed and again she told me there is no account. The buyer is entering the card each time. So, now I will call the bank on this too, as this is my debit card he is using.

Steely

Here is my experience. I purchased some game thing online for my son through paypal on his computer, not realizing his computer saved my password and access to paypal. Then, when he wanted something it was as easy as saying that he wanted "paypal" to do it for him, and clicking submit at the bottom of the purchase screen.

That being said, and taken care of, recently there was a withdrawal for something I never authorized, and something my son had never heard of and I knew he had no interest in. I believe it was paypal fraud just like credit card fraud. Paypal is not as secure as credit cards, and it is easier for people to take advantage of it. Especially some of these gaming companies that are located in timbuktu egypt, or wherever.

Before you lay into your son, research it a little and see if it legit. I refuse to use paypal because it is so insecure. I know of others who have had this happen as well.

skeeter

I've had a Pay Pal account for so long, I honestly don't remember when I joined. I have NEVER had any problems with it.

However, there are some precautions that you must keep in mind.

It sounds like you just used Pay Pal for a "one time purchase" and did not actually open a Pay Pal account. This is perfectly legit, and a way that non-Pay Pal members can easily transfer money or payments to others. Your son is entering the credit card number EVERY time he's using Pay Pal, he's not got an account established. He could also use that same credit card number at any online merchant.

Then there is actually having a Pay Pal account. This allows you to pay and collect funds from others.

One way that others hack Pay Pal accounts is by sending "phishing" emails saying they are from Pay Pal and asking for account log ins. Pay Pal NEVER sends an email that asks someone to sign in from it, ALWAYS go to the Pay Pal screen and sign in.

Again, I've had a Pay Pal account for years, and use if for our sales as well as paying others. It's a great help when doing international sales. As a seller, the only thing to worry about is having a "charge back" from a buyer because that can freeze the account until it's straightened out. From a buyer standpoint, as long as you protect your information, it's just as safe as any other banking institution. My credit card number was "stolen" from our bank (along with several thousand others) and I wound up with fraud charges and had to cancel that card.

You need to cancel your credit card, get another, and NEVER let him know the number.

susiestar

Roll With It
OH BOY. You are in for a rough ride.

Call the bank. Make your difficult child pay andy fees for getting anew card, pay for YOUR TIME in straightening all this out, and then go clear the history in his computer. And any other computer he might have used.

Hugs,

Susie

sameold sameold

I also have had paypal for years, the account that I have always asks for a user name and password. I have never ever had a problem with it. I like it very much because it is secure and you never have to give your numbers out on sites that you aren't that familiar with.

K

Kjs

oh..yes. He has been saving his change for months now. I informed him when he cashes in his change he will be paying me back. As for weekend activities, the money he would spend for the skating or the LAN place, will come to me, and he will be spending the time at home. reading or watching movies. Not playing games on the computer. Sad thing is his prescription for this game expires in 9 days. he now wants to renew it since he has all these wonderful things he purchased. Never again.