extended school year services?

tycjcj

fighting for his rights
The school is now considering extended school year services for my child. Don't know if this is good or bad. What services can be provided? What does this include? ADHD< Conduct Disorder<depression<oppositional defiant disorder< low self esteem <lacking in social skills, anger management skills,problem solving skills.

wakeupcall

tycjcj, I also live in Texas. I live in a large city, so the services are excellent in special education. The extended school year services my difficult child received helped in lots in the social development area. It's like summer school and they seemed to concentrate alot on teaching him social skills. Now in intermediate school he's in a social development class for most of his classes. The one-on-one has been terrific for him. Academically they worked on his math skills during the summer to keep him current for when school started. husband and I were very reluctant in the beginning, but it was a good move for us.:teacher:

nvts

I LOVE THE 12 MONTH PROGRAM!!!! Sorry, I just do. The class is the same, the routine is the same, the work keeps them engaged AND if they want to stay home for a "hookey" day, they don't get in trouble.

Not to sound like a total jerk, but I don't have to go in search of a camp that I'd end up fight with everyday!!

Beth

Sheila

ESY is typically recommended for children that may regress more than the norm in the summer. If it's been offered, I recommend that you accept.

ESY should be in the IEP, but if they are offering it without it being in the ESY, ask specifically what will be worked on.

If the ESY needs to be done via an IEP, don't be shy about helping design the summer program. If difficult child needs math, recommend it. Same with anything else you feel needs attention -- like social skills, reading, etc.