Extracurricular activies?

hamsterwheel

Does anywone know where to search for extra curricular programs and funding for difficult children?

I can find many programs, but none specificly geared towards special needs children.

I asked her counselors and child study team, but no luck.

Any ideas?

crazymama30

I do not know of any specially geared towards special needs children, but I was able to get a scholarship from our local park and rec district so our kids could do activities..

busywend

Not for special needs. But, most town sponsored youth activities are run and coached by parents - not a high school coach with a job to lose. I think it is much more flexible in the behavior department.

There are usually some summer camps for special needs, not sure about now though.
How about calling your local chapter of NIMH?

hamsterwheel

Is there anything specifically I need to ask for? I've noticed people are not extremely forthcoming with informaion unless asked specifically.

JJJ

Your park district may be part of a cooperative that offers programs for special needs kids. Also, Easter Seals, YMCA, Special Olympics all have programs.

smallworld

Not sure what specifically you're looking for, but there are therapeutic horseback riding programs that can be helpful. Others here have had good luck with Tae Kwon Do or other martial arts. My daughter will soon be joining a social skills group with other girls who have emotional issues so she can work on friendship issues.

Hope that helps.

smallworld

I think Busywend means NAMI, which is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NIMH is the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, MD).

nvts

Have you tried contacting the Boy/Girl Scouts? Also, we contacted foundations for Asperger kids, and they steered us in the right direction. We also searched "Parent/Child Advocates" and they had information.

You may also want to look into Federally Funded programs with the advocates (especially the free ones!) as they may have wrap around or respite for the entire family.

Good luck!

Beth

G

guest3

I have searched a lot and have voiced my frustration to my county and state boards. All the special needs programs I've found do not want anything to do with a BiPolar (BP) kid, and the camps I found for Behavior Disorders are about $5000 a week, and are far away. Sigh...................

SnowAngel

Do you have a childrens hospital where you live? The social worker there might have more resources. Some states have day cares for special needs children, they would have resources. Does your state have any Special Education schools? Here in Tucson they have a school specializing in ADHD and they have a bunch of resources.
I would try contacting other school districts or even the state developmental disabilities department. Somebody has to have some info to share.

meowbunny

Equine therapy is frequently geared to kids with behavior issues. You might see if anyone does it around where you are. Many will do it for a sliding scale.