Eyberg Behavior Inventory

miche

We went to the psychologist on Saturday for our 'consultation' visit. We told him all of the horror stories about the kinds of things our difficult child does. Thing is...she only had one real meltdown in the past 2 weeks and hasn't had any trouble at school at all since they told us they were kicking her out.

Anyway, he's meeting with difficult child next week. In the meantime, he asked us to fill out the eyberg behavior inventory. What exactly does this measure?

tiredmommy

I found this online:

http://vinst.umdnj.edu/VAID/TestReport.asp?Code=ECBI

Searchable Inventory of Instruments
Assessing Violent Behavior and Related Constructs in Children and Adolescents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory

General Information

The Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory (ECBI), designed to assess parental report of conduct behavioral problems in children and adolescents ages 2-16, measures the number of difficult behavior problems and the frequency with which they occur. Studies have indicated that the ECBI has good reliability and validity. The instrument takes five minutes to complete and five minutes to score.

Number of Versions: 1
Version: Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory
Author(s): Sheila Eyberg
Date of Publication: 1999
Material(s) Needed for Test: Professional Manual and Test Sheets
Manual: Available
Time to Administer: 5 minutes
Charge for one form or kit: Yes

Purpose and Nature of Test

Construct(s) Measured: Conduct problems

Population for which designed: Age Range: 2 through 16 years old

Method of Administration: Individual
Source of Information: Parent
Subtests and Scores: Total Intensity Score, Total Problem Score

Number of Items: 36
Type of Scale: Likert

Technical Evaluation

Norms:

Sample Size: 1,526
Population: Five outpatient pediatric clinics in the Northwestern states.
Culture/ethnicity: African-American, Asian-American, Caucasian, Hispanic/Latino, Other
SES Level: Low to High

Reliability:

Psychometric information: Provided for Subscales.
The range of Test-Retest Value: 0.86 to 0.88
The range of Inter-rater reliability: 0.86 to 0.79
The range of Internal consistency: 0.88 to 0.95

Validity:

Criterion validity was assessed and found to be acceptable.
Practical Evaluation

Scoring Procedure: Manual Scoring
Examiner Qualifications and Training Required: At least a bachelor's degree in psychology, counseling or a related field and relevant coursework in tests and measurement.
Permission Required to Use Instrument: Yes
If yes, by whom: Psychological Assessment Resources

Notes

Original Reference(s): Eyberg, S., & Pincus, D. (1999). Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory & Sutter-Eyberg Student Behavior Inventory - Revised. Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Rescources.
Other Reference(s): Eyberg, S. M., & Robinson, E. A. (1983). Conduct problem behavior: Standardization of a behavioral rating scale with adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 12 (3), 347-354.

Burns, G. L., & Patterson, D. R. (1990). Conduct problem behaviors in a stratified random sample of children and adolescents: New standarization data on the Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory. Psychological Assessment: A Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 2 (4), 391-397.

Boggs, S. R., Eyberg, S., & Reynolds, L. A. (1990). Concurrent validity of the Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 19 (1), 75-78.

Burns, G. L., Patterson, D. R., Nussbaum, B. R., & Parker, C. M. (1991). Disruptive behaviors in an outpatient pediatric population: Additional standardization data on the Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory. Psychological Assessment, 3 (2), 202-207.

Eisenstadt, T. H., McElreath, L. H., Eyberg, S. M., & McNeil, C. B. (1994). Interparent agreement on the Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 16 (1), 21-27.

Eyberg, S. M., & Ross, A. W. (1978, September). Assessment of child behavior problems: The validation of a new inventory. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 113-116.
Reviewed in the Buros Institute, Mental Measurements Yearbook. http://www.unl.edu/buros/

Contact

Organization: Psychological Asssessment Resources
Address: 16204 North Florida Avenue
City: Lutz
State: FL
Zip: 33549
Phone: (800) 331-8378
Fax: (800) 727-9329
E-mail: [email protected]
Other: Author: Sheila Eyberg, Univeristy of Florida, Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, PO Box 100165, Gainsville, FL, 32610

Last updated by Violence Institute of New Jersey: February 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Violence Institute of New Jersey at UMDNJ

tiredmommy

It looks to me like it's used to measure the frequency & severity a child exhibits "acting out" behaviors. But don't take my word for it, call & ask your psychologist.

SRL

It looks to me like it's a diagnostic tool to assess the presence of aggressive and violent behaviors as possible indicators of a diagnosis ODD, Conduct Disorders, etc. The age range is very broad--far more so than most diagnostic instruments. I don't remember a parent reporting on this one being used before here so you'll have to let us know how it lines up with what you are seeing.

If you are seeing a regular child psychologist I would take all suggested diagnoses with a grain of salt. Most kids we see here walk away with a diagnosis of ODD and/or ADHD and around here we don't buy into standalone ODD without a reason.

You can count on the fact that your child's behaviors will be minimized right about the time that your assessment is scheduled. Often it's like clockwork along the lines of a fever breaking an hour before you hit the pediatrician's office.

starcloaked

I'm pretty sure this is the one we did in difficult child's Special Education evaluation. We had both parents and the nanny do it, and the nanny's input I think was a helpful reality check for the evaluation team.

Anyway, it served as a strong argument for eligibility in our case. My dear son scored above the 95th percentile by all three raters. Good times. :wink:

If it's not being used for eligibility, I suppose it's just an opportunity to put behavior in context. When difficult child was a toddler, we used to talk about his tantrums and biting and everyone would smile and nod and tell us it would pass and give us parenting advice (I have a shelf of parenting books that rivals any preschool's). Same when he was three. This takes the "boys will be boys" or "all kids act out" out of the conversation by using a population-normed instrument that shows that what you're describing is only described by less than 5% of the population. I suppose it helps the person you're working with to put your experience into context.

Star