F connect???

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

runawaybunny

My question is if you, or someone else, connects to FB using this, does that provide a direct link to this site and my/our posts?

I can understand a FB connection if this was a site because we all loved model trains or dolls or Justin Bieber. But this is an intensely personal site, exposing not only ourselves but also our family members. I am not at all comfortable with this concept and I want to understand what happens to my posts if others connect there.
We are not sending any data to fb. We are not collecting any data from fb. We are just using the OpenID log in. This is a social networking site, fb is the mother of social networking sites. Many people that use this site probably use fb too. It's just a convenience thing, although fb would send us lots of your personal info we are not importing it or sharing any info with them. Nothing you have ever posted here is sent to fb.

tiredmommy

So... to recap: all this does is tie my Fb login to my cd.com login. Nothing I post here goes to FB. Nothing I post on FB comes here. No one in real life will know my screen name here, no one here will know my real name. We do not share information with FB (or other sites) and do not gather info from FB. This is merely a convenience for logging in. I do not need to participate with FB Connect if I do not wish to do so.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhh. I'm not tech savvy..........and I get it.

It's like several couponing sites I go to. I can link via fb and access the sites that way without having to come up with a user name and password. I just log in using my fb acct. But no info shows up that I'm doing so on my page.

Still. I think I'll opt out. Not that I have an issue with privacy. My kids visit here sometimes. They know the risk if they don't like what they read. Just.....I don't need fb to log into here. This is "home".

tiredmommy

I can understand that. Plus, I appreciate that Cheryl has gone to great lengths to ensure we can maintain our privacy while still keeping this forum technologically current. It's no easy feat, but I know that Cheryl takes our individual privacy and sense of safety very seriously. Way To Go, Cheryl! :warrior:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'll pass, too.

TM, I appreciate your simple explanation for simple minds like mine. :916blusher: Got it. :thumbsup:

Suz

DammitJanet

I need to figure out how to be invisible on fb because I hate it when Im on there and my ahem...daughter in law sees me and decides to send me stupid stuff for those games. She must have more time than I ever did when I parented small children because she plays them constantly and I have no use for them.

tiredmommy

She sees you're online? Click on "chat", select "options" from the very top of the box and then "go offline".

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
What TM said Janet. I had to have Nichole tell me how to do it.

I have a grand niece that won't leave me alone if I'm online. Love her, I do for sure. But she's went off the difficult child deep end.......and while I'll comment occasionally on her page I don't want caught into a 3 hr chat with her. She has an excellent warrior mom. If she needs to talk she needs to call her mom. And several of Nichole's bff's have dubbed me surrogate Mom......and while I love them too.....again I don't need caught in chat for hours. If the issue is serious enough the mail me and we talk that way. It's easier.

So.....if rarely shows I'm online when most of the time I am if I'm at home.

witzend

Cheryl just enabled it. If you don't want to connect with people from here to FB, then just don't do anything. If you want to connect, then click on the link.

What if my friend on FB wants to connect and I don't? If a mutual friend who doesn't know about my CD life looks at my FB/CD friend's connection to here will they see my posts? I really am going to have to delete my account here if there is an open connection to FB that can be traced back to me through someone else.

witzend

So... to recap: all this does is tie my Fb login to my cd.com login. Nothing I post here goes to FB. Nothing I post on FB comes here. No one in real life will know my screen name here, no one here will know my real name. We do not share information with FB (or other sites) and do not gather info from FB. This is merely a convenience for logging in. I do not need to participate with FB Connect if I do not wish to do so.

I'm with you so far. If my friend on FB does want to connect here, and another friend on FB looks at my friend's connections, will they see the entire board? My kids are on FB and we're friends. I have to delete my account if CD is connected to FB. Period.

Lothlorien

Witz, my original post was inaccurate. I did not understand it clearly yet, either. Cheryl and TM clarified it. It is simply just a way to log in with you FB id. No info is shared, no personal information is collected. No one will see a CD page on your page. It is only a log in. Kind of like MSN login or google log in, where you can use it multiple places, but no information is collected.

We all understand the need for this life to be private from your personal life and Cheryl certainly does not want to interfere with that. This is our safe place. The FB connect is not going to make any difference.

Sorry that I gave inaccurate info earlier in this thread.

DammitJanet

witz...the only way your friend would be able to link back to you is if they have your user name and password or are on your computer and it is saved in your history.

trouble

Most people don't know how links, buttons and gadgets work.
The risk really isn't that a real person would be able to figure out how your various IDs link up, using the obvious public data.

The problem is, NO ONE knows what is behind the links, buttons and gadgets.
All it takes is some rogue programmer capturing keystrokes, and... there's a lot of data going somewhere, for analysis.
Might not get email-cd identity joinups for older members, but could capture profile set-up AND keystrokes for new members... and be able to link the two identities.
And then... all of that info can become public property - think wiki-leaks, as worst case.

My internet radar is set really strict.
Until this new button showed up, this site behaved itself really well - not setting off alarms, no pop-ups, etc.
NOW - I'm dealing with alarms for every single click I do - sign in, switch pages, edit a post... pop-up, alarm, other issue...

In other words... what is in that link, in that protocol, that Facebook does NOT want us to know about?

Just having it there, in my opinion, puts all of us at long-term risk.
I'm paranoid. Because I'm a tech-head. I know what they can do.

Not that it is being done NOW. It might not be. But... risk is more than probability. Its about the "cost" of exposure of my real identity. Do I really want to open that door???

tiredmommy

But you need to choose to use FB connect. And for what it's worth: I've had NO alarms, pop-ups, etc since the button was installed.

trouble

I do not trust ANYTHING from Facebook. So, its on my filter list.
Because this button runs some form of "active code", it hits the filters - just by being on the page - every time I click on any OTHER button - including "next page".

tiredmommy

So... it's because of how you have your easy child configured. The same thing could happen if there were a link to amazon.com or weather.com or nih.gov or pbskids.org and it's on your filter list. Other members will not have this issue.

I'll say it again: no information is being shared with FB. Members can choose to link their cd.com login to FB connect if they choose to do so. No one is required to use this particular feature to participate here.

DammitJanet

Again...you cannot follow your if your FB friend has attached from here. You cannot see if they have even done that. It doesnt show up under the places that show their emails, yahoo and other messengers. Thats the place i would have thought it would show up. I even posted again to see if he could see me...nope.

R

runawaybunny

I can feel the love... and then shut the fb connect off. Thank you for your pm's... not the meanspirited ones though. They were just mean.

DammitJanet

Gee... I simply cannot believe we couldnt at least give something a chance to see if this was something we may have been interested in before having tantrums to rival difficult child's. Ugly PM's? Really...was that necessary? You can just not click the button. It wasnt a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.