Face cream for acne

klmno

difficult child has tried several things but Department of Juvenile Justice has him on a cream that has really worked well. The nurse gives it out with medications but he thinks it's a generic OTC cream. He called tonight and said he thinks it's spelled "Tretinion". Has anyone heard of this and do you know where I can get it? He might be wrong about the spelling because he only sees it when the nurse hands it out. I'd like to be able to keep him on it after he's released because it's been a miracle worker for him- I guess it just depends on a person's on complexion and chemistry.

He had to go thru the stage of it getting worse and looking horrible before it got better and he doesn't want to have to go thru that stage again once he's back to "normal" life- I don't blame him, especially if he's going to be 15yo.

Rabbit

Medications and Drugs

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Medical and Pharmacy Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD
GENERIC NAME: tretinoin

BRAND NAME: Retin-A, Atralin, Renova, Avita, Altinac

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. Topical tretinoin is used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne and on skin that has been damaged by excessive exposure to the sun. Tretinoin irritates the skin and causes the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, increasing the turnover of cells. The number of layers of cells in the skin actually is reduced. In patients with acne, new cells replace the cells of existing pimples, and the rapid turnover of cells prevents new pimples from forming. By a similar mechanism, tretinoin can reduce some wrinkles, areas of darkened skin, and rough areas of skin, all of which occur in sun-damaged skin. In patients with sun-damaged skin, improvements in the skin usually are seen within the first 3 to 4 weeks of treatment. Brown spots begin to fade after six to eight weeks. Wrinkles decrease or disappear after three to six months. Following application to the skin, a minimal amount of drug is absorbed into the body. The FDA approved topical tretinoin in 1971.
PRESCRIPTION: yes
GENERIC AVAILABLE: yes
PREPARATIONS: Gel: 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.04%, 0.05%, 0.1%. Cream: 0.02%, 0.025%, 0.05%, 0.1%.
STORAGE: Store between 15° and 25°C (59°-77°F).
PRESCRIBED FOR: Topical tretinoin is used for treating mild to moderate acne, fine wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
DOSING: Before applying topical tretinoin, the affected area of the skin should be cleansed with soap and dried. Patients should then wait 20 to 30 minutes before applying tretinoin, gently rubbing it into the affected area. The hands should be washed immediately after application. Tretinoin is usually applied once daily, in the evening.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Combining other topical acne medications (for example, salicylic acid) with tretinoin may lead to excessive skin irritation. Use of abrasive soaps or cleansers, astringents, skin waxes and other products that irritate the skin may add to tretinoin induced skin irritation. Medications [for example, tetracycline (Achromycin)] that cause sun sensitivity should not be combined with tretinoin because of additive sun sensitivity.
PREGNANCY: There are no adequate studies of topical tretinoin use during pregnancy. Physicians must weigh the potential risks and benefits before prescribing tretinoin during pregnancy.
NURSING MOTHERS: It is unknown whether tretinoin is distributed into breast milk. It is also unknown if topically applied tretinoin accumulates to an extent sufficient to pose a concern in the infant. Nonetheless, since oral tretinoin is not recommended during lactation, it probably is prudent to avoid nursing during treatment with topical tretinoin.
SIDE EFFECTS: Following the application of tretinoin to the skin, there often is local inflammation. This reaction disappears when treatment is stopped. Mild stinging or a sensation of warmth also can occur when applying tretinoin. Dryness, scaling, and redness occur frequently. If severe redness, vesicles or crusting develops, a physician should be notified immediately and tretinoin stopped. It may be possible to restart therapy with a lower concentration.
Some patients using tretinoin develop increased sun sensitivity and are more prone to sunburn (photosensitivity). Therefore, it is advisable to avoid exposing treated areas of the skin to excessive sunlight or UV lamps to reduce the risk of severe sunburn.
Reference: FDA Prescribing Information

klmno

Thanks- I hope I can find a dr to rx it then. He's had a problem with acne for 2 years now- starting at close to 13 yo. I thought is was so bad due to MS's but he's been off them for several months. I guess it can vary from person to person how long this persists, huh?

N

Nomad

I still have mild acne and I am a mature woman. What a trip. The only advantage is (knock on wood), I don't have many wrinkles for my age.

I use that product every other day and Benzaclin on actual pimples. Both are RX. They work like a charm. I have a milder rx product that I use for my back. in my humble opinion, well worth it. My son uses them too and still does. We both only use tiny amounts. A prescription will last us many many months.

The Retin A products are expensive, esp. if your insurance does not cover it. If the doctor writes it for acne, sometimes the insurance will cover it though. I had to make a special call to make sure it was covered. A tube lasts me all year. But I also use the Benzaclin, which I put on actual pimples. I would HIGHLY recommend this routine. It is unbelievably effective.

by the way, I usually wash my face with a mild soap like Purpose. Sometimes I also use Oil of Olay face soap (but I am older).

Both my son and I found another secret to keeping acne away is to always wash with a clean washcloth and dry with a clean fresh towel. To keep the laundry easier, sometimes I dry my face with a dry clean wash cloth. Bottom line: don't re-use the towels and wash clothes when you have acne. The skin that is prone to breakouts wont tolerate any bacteria lurking in there...even a little.

Last edited: