Facebook...almost urgent

N

Nomad

For my privacy settings I have "friends only" for everything.

Today, I googled myself. Guess what? I found my name immediately re: FB. I hit the link and it went to my FB page...the entire thing opened.

Okay, what gives? If I deactivate....will it stop? Can I restart later?

I need help asap....many many thanks.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You can send a message to Google to remove that. Unfortunately it's looking for what was there in the past, and if you're on your own browser... You see it all. Thanks to cookies.

Try Googling from someone else's easy child. Bet not as much will come up.

Let me know if that doesn't help... ;-)

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its probably showing all of the info because facebook knows its you who is looking and its your profile

Go to account settings on Facebook, there is a Preview My Profile button somewhere on there, and it will show you what your page looks like to other people who are not on your settings for friends only

Marcie

N

Nomad

I found more privacy settings that I was not aware of and adjusted them.
thank you MM...I previewed and continued adjusting.
Now, it just shows my profile picture and my sex.....pretty basic.
I changed my profile picture for now....not a real picture.
May only use a real photo now and again...not sure.

N

Nomad

Okay...that was "interesting."
I have already noticed patterns that I find disturbing.
The few professionals I know on it, don't use a real photo for their profile photo, limit friends and keep the settings very tight.
I believe that is what I've done. I'm not as computer literate as I would like and distracted still (big tests in the next ten days). Thank you everyone for your help. I never fully felt comfortable with- FB...but several of my friends were hardly going to their email anymore and almost exclusively using their FB. Sharing photos/viewing photos is fun too. But, being very conservative with- FB (and anything to do with- being on line really) certainly seems WISE!

N

Nomad

FB article...I changed a lot of my settings to 'only me'

Tighten your Facebook privacy settings

[Facebook, the big daddy of these three, has made quiet changes to its privacy settings, ones that members need to understand if they are going to manage the distribution of their personal information.

I find Facebook useful, mostly as a way to stay in touch with a select set of my friends and former co-workers. It's not my public soapbox nor a window into my personal life, left open to the world — for that, I have blogs and Twitter.

As much as I like Facebook, it has a flaw that I'll never see in my blogs and hopefully never see with Twitter. It seems the proprietors of Facebook find it necessary, desirable, or profitable to change member privacy settings, usually with little notice to members. In every case I can think of, privacy settings have become more relaxed — more open, if you will.]

more of the story-

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100520/#story1

flutterby

Fly away!
Go to Privacy Settings. Under Applications and Websites, click on Edit your settings. Edit settings for Instant Personalization and Public Search. IOW, you don't want either.