Facebook Comes in Handy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My girls talked me into joining facebook. I finally relented a couple of months ago. I've since hooked up with a couple of really old friends. (one from grade school)

But I've found it a great way to keep track of my grown kids, who by the way are all on my friends list. This is nice cuz Nichole still doesn't have a phone. But if she wants to tell me something or whatever, she'll put it up on facebook. Like the other day she needed a glass baking pan to cook salmon for supper......lol And it's nice to chat with Travis to see how he's doing, although he's not overly active on his. And with him I can make sure when he's in class so he's home when I call. Plus now that he's been having odd physical symptoms I can keep up with how he's feeling. easy child will post about when she works or has class.

So for us, it works out well. husband though has been looking at me lately like I can read minds or something. Cuz I know all this stuff about the kids but I'm not calling them or talking to them in person. LOL:tongue:

flutterby

Fly away!
I like it a lot, although I don't get into the games. But, I keep in better touch with my bff now than ever. And I get insight into what Ashlee is feeling. She keeps a lot to herself, but a one line status update says a lot. She's been going through a lot with her parents and she just started school and is overwhelmed.

difficult child doesn't want a facebook page; she thinks it's stupid. But, she has a cell now (thanks to easy child) with unlimited texting so I guess she's not having any trouble staying in touch with friends. :D

My mom finally created a page and I gave her a facebook crash course last week when she was up. She seems to really be enjoying it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I love it, but loathe Farm Ville. Somehow I got suckered in to start a farm I've only visited once, but everyone is building on it and keeping it up. hmmm...maybe I'm on to something.

Abbey

Mattsmom277

I love facebook. I do have to cull my friends list periodically. I seem to get invites from all kinds of people I knew in yesteryears. But then they don't stay in touch at all and I think, why do I get updates about their holidays and work and families? Meaning they get updates about my updates! So I cull about once a month to those that I do have personal contact with. I love how my BFF lives out of town now but we can stay in touch.

Since my facebook love affair, I've been "found" by my 12 year old baby sister. YAY!
I've also been "found" by my bio dads family. 3 aunts and my grandfather. I recently met the aunt that I've been spending time online and on the phone getting to know. It was a wonderful visit.

I love facebook :)

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I am sorta hooked on FB and thankfully not so much anymore on Farm Ville and Farmtown - I was spending more time on there than I was doing housework. Some friends I grew up with and went to school with found me, and its nice to see how everyone is doing eons later, (they are planning a cyber reunion which should be fun as I never have been able to attend a real one due to distance) and have some local friends, two from work and some I do business with but those are personal friends as well and some friends from here.

I guess I am odd man out with kids on the FB page. LOL Really no reason for the boys to be on there since they live at home and I have no interest in knowing what them and their friends are up to anyway :D As to the eldest, most of the times I have to call every couple of weeks to see how the kids are doing or I would never hear how they are doing- once in a blue moon she will pick up the phone but its not to see how we are, more like she needs something. Our relationship is cordial but distant. She knows I have been having a serious health issue and is being kept out of the loop but with the latest twitter episode, I feel like she is stalking me to find out whats going on and its strange because she hasen't asked SO for an add to FB and isn't following him. Maybe I am getting paranoid in my old age.

Marcie

KTMom91

I didn't think I would like it, but...I have a farm, on Farmtown, not Farmville, I can only keep up with one. I use the Adopt-a-dog app, Food Fling, and I have a SuperPet.

I have an interesting mix of both old and new friends, the oldest is someone I met in 7th grade! We were really good friends, stayed in touch even after she moved to OK, but then she moved back here, stayed with me for a while, went back to OK, and I didn't hear word one from her for over ten years. Then she finds me on Facebook. Has she apologized? No. Has she said anything remotely personal? No. It is what it is, I suppose.

donna723

I'm pretty much addicted to it too and it didn't take long! I don't get into the games and little surveys and things either. I just "Ignore" those. I have a real mixture of "Friends" too - one is a dog! No, I mean REALLY a dog, but the rest are human! Some are relatives - my daughter, sister in law, nephews and a niece, my brother. One is my daughters best friend from high school, another is a former girlfriend of my sons who stayed with me for a few months several years ago - they've stayed good friends. Then there's a bunch of people from my other board, my dog board. That's an interesting group! The rest are a bunch of people that I went to high school with and haven't heard from in 45 years - some even longer! It's been really neat emailing them, comparing grandkids and seeing what's become of everybody! They started a page now and they are having a reunion this Saturday. Of course, it's in Florida and I won't be able to go but I can look at all the pictures! I like to see who looks older or fatter than I am! ;) And I am just amazed at how many people who were dating when we were in high school went on to get married and are still married (to each other!) now after 40+ years!

I had to be talked into joining but I really like it now. It lets me keep up with relatives that I didn't see much of before, like my out-of-state nephews and their families. I got to keep up with all my cousins plans for her wedding and got to see all the pictures, even though I wasn't able to go. For things like that, it's much easier to just post the pictures on Facebook where everyone can see them than to individually email them to all those people! And it even reminds you when any of your friends have a birthday coming up!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I like facebook, good way to keep up with family and friends we don't see often. I'm not much into the games at all but can occasionally get addicted to those ridiculous quizzes.

TerryJ2

But I've found it a great way to keep track of my grown kids

Yes!

But I don't have time to deal with-it much. Too hard to paint and write AND do that sort of thing. :(

KTMom91

Oh, yes...the quizzes! I can answer those all day. I am a fireplace poker, and Miss KT is a whisk. Strangely enough, it seems to fit. I do tend to poke at people, and she goes through life stirring things up.

everywoman

I posted on the twitter post that I am a facebook addict. I have gotten in touch with a lot of my friends from high school and we have actually gotten together a few times since early summer.

I am also in touch with former students---I've been teaching since 1987--and I am enjoying seeing what they're doing and seeing their families.

Jana and my daughter in law are my friends. I get to see pictures of my grandchildren every week, which is really nice since we only get to see them in person every few months. I get to see what milestones they've reached when they've reached them. Makes me feel like they are right next door.

everywoman

oooo--- I forgot my latest use for facebook. Jana had pink eye and has no insurance. I asked about homeopathic cures and got a few replies. But a former student (who also was my babysitter for the kids) posted that she had a script for antibiotic eye drops and she had it filled and dropped it off for Jana at the office. It saved us about $150.00.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
EW that was really a nice thing about the eye drops!!! Wow! :)

I love it for the grandkids too. easy child keeps fairly recent photos up. Nichole and K haven't gotten that far with it yet. But they're fun to look at and then I can download them right onto my computer no sweat.

I do both farmtown and farmville.....although I like farmtown alot more. I have troubles taking the quizes...getting them and some of the games to work right so I don't bother much. But I do the Save a Dog app.....and one of my dogs got adopted. :D

I don't have lots of time to spend on it right now.....but it is quick and easy to see how everyone is doing.......I just couldn't get that on MySpace.....and I pretty much still have an account there cuz K seems more comfortable there.

lmf64

Farmville, Farmtown, MAFIA WARS, farkle, Sorority Life, School of Magic. Get the picture? lol I am addicted!
My sister in law and I are going to get my mom set up with a FB account and teach her the basics so we can post pics of the kids and she can choose the ones she wants for us to send online to Walgreens for her to pick up in AZ.
I have had three conversations with my brother's oldest son (12 years old) who lives in Baltimore with his mother in the last month. It's so cool I'm getting to know him on his terms. He's been the one to initiate the conversations each time. I don't think we've had three conversations face to face in his entire life. Yes, they live a long ways away, but they do come for visits here. I love that he's reaching out to contact me. It did take him forever to finally accept my friend request initially though. Of course when my brother told him I played Mafia Wars he accepted immediately! lol
difficult child doesn't have a FB account, but then again he reads at a first grade level and comprehends way below that when he's doing the reading, so what good would him having a FB account do.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I haven't quite figured out how to navigate it - but "someone :D"gave me a donkey....and I love it.

If you sent me an invite before and I ignored it - send it again - i have a computer at home now. lol

DazedandConfused

Another FB'er here. It's a really great way to keep in touch with family and friends that are scattered everywhere. Also, people that I have worked with. I don't have a lot of "friends" though. I have taken a few quizzes, but try to avoid most of them.

Apparently, the Gilligan's Island character I am most like is: The Skipper :surprise:. (I SO wanted to Ginger, or at least Mary Ann)

I did find a very close friend from middle/high school that I hadn't had any contact with in over 30 years.

Daughter is on FB, but doesn't post much. She's still very much into Myspace (which I hate).

Nancy

I reconnected with my best friend from high school through facebook and just had lunch with her last weekend when she was in town visiting her mom. I don't respong to those invites from friends of friends and I am very sleective who I accept and what I post but I do enjoy it.

Nancy