FAFSA- homeless child?

peg2

Does anyone know anything about how a difficult child considered to be homeless would fill out the FAFSA? Are they kidding to request a parents financial info. anyway???? How would the difficult child know that? They must be coming across that these days.
Thanks

DammitJanet

I am not completely sure, and maybe my experience was because I did get married and separated very early, but if a person is not considered living with their parents then they dont count the parents income.

I do know that when my oldest did his, I had no income so it wasnt an issue.

I think I would call these people or go to a local school...even community college, and ask them. Im gonna bet that if the young adult is not living with the parents because of certain reasons, like this, that parental income isnt counted because the young adult isnt or cant be claimed on income taxes.

*I do think that 5 year thing is stupid if a kid isnt still considered living at home.

LittleDudesMom

The FAFSA form has the option of being filled out two ways - one with the applicants information alone if they are "independent" and another with the parent's information if they are still a dependent (legally).

Sharon

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Yes - it's the "dependent" and "indepedent" status that is the tricky part:

If a young person can document that they are "Independent" by having a court document that declared them an emancipated minor OR by getting married OR by having a child of their own OR by being in the US military OR by documenting homelessness (not sure how they document that one) then they are considered "Independent" and may file as such.

Anyone who cannot prove one of the above conditions is considered a "Dependent" until age 24. They MUST file as a "dependent" and use their parents income.

S

Signorina

One of the great ironies in my own life... I posted my frustration with this a year ago.

It is nearly impossible for an adult child to be considered independent for purposes of the FAFSA. You need legal documentation of one the following situations:
-Were you born before January 1, 1990?
-As of today are you married?
-At the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?
-Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
-Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
-Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014?
-Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2014?
-At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
-As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?
-As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?
-At any time on or after July 1, 2012, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
-At any time on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
-At any time on or after July 1, 2012, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Anyone at any colleges financial aid office will assert the impossibility. Stepparent income is also considered regardless of whether they provide any support. Personally, the detailed financial info is none of my kids' business. PC19 has an academic scholarship that requires a FAFSA on file for federal reporting laws and I fill it out & retain the password as though I am easy child for privacy reasons.

The IRONY that goads me? FERPA laws- also federal- that allow schools to prohibit releasing any information regarding a student over 18, including grades, billing, student status and even wellness to their parents regardless of a students dependent status and who pays the tuition. Frosts me. Yes, some schools will release the info w student permission but many others will not. difficult children school was on the "will not, he's over 18 so it's none of your business" camp. Aghhhhhhh

Contradictory laws FAFSA & FERPA. Monetarily a dependent but not so otherwise. How convenient

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Learned about FAFSA and FERPA just this spring/summer as our easy child heads off to college in August. Hated the entire process with both of these and if I am paying the dang bill, then I should be able to see her info. Very frustrating!!

witzend

We refused to fill it out. He was placed in transitional living by the court system and had a caseworker. He "didn't want anything from us". Tough bits if the state doesn't want to put him through college. There was no way they were looking at our finances.

Try calling his caseworker and explaining that you hold no responsibility in that regard.

peg2

Thanks for replies. Before I even posted I knew it would be a nightmare or nearly impossible. I looked on the site myself and printed some info. out. It's really a joke anyway cause my difficult child hasn't even finished high school and is not ready to do this!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a restraining order 3 1/2 yrs.ago so how would I possibly be responsible for any support?? I refuse too to give out my(and a step dads too) financial info. It's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. How can someone prove homelessness and would parents really say that just to get the kid financial aide? My son, sort of, works with a case manager so the 2 of them can figure it out. My son doesn't have any intention of going to comm. college but I have printed out info. for them anyway, give it a try.
Thanks again He is really homeless too, do they want the addressof the car he might be sleeping in!!!!!!!!!

DDD

I know this doesn't make it any better for you all facing this in 2013 but thought I'd give an ancient whine about the subject. husband & I married in 1976 and combined had six teens. The oldest was a Junior in HS and the youngest was in the last year of middle school. We just assumed the "A" students would get scholarships and the Federal loan would be available. NOT! husband's Ex was a school teacher who had married a school teacher. My Ex was an Engineer who at that time was newly married to a Jr. Exec. Not one of the four of them would contribute a red cent BUT all their incomes had to be reported in addition to ours...a commision only realto associate and a small business partner.

I should have known then that I was going to be a poor old woman, sigh! We got all of them as educated as they wanted to be....four college grads, one jr. college grad and one who just wasn't interested. In retrospect ?? I wish we had protected our future more. Sigh. Don't do more than you can do...that's the moral of the story! DDD

FlowerGarden

Hi Peg,
There is a question on the FAFSA that asks if you are homeless. Just filled out the FAFSA for my son 2 weeks ago and the question was there. I would leave parents info blank. Good luck and I hope things are going well.

FlowerGarden

Peg,
Forgot to add that I would mail it in with a copy of the restraining order and he should provide his email address so he can get a response.

busywend

Be very careful what you say on these applications and in interviews regarding FAFSA.
True story:
My nephew's girlfriend's mom died 3 years ago. Single mom, no dad around ever. 2 years ago she started college as an independent adult (age 21, I think she was). Got most covered as has little income.
Last year her biodad looks her up on FB. They have met and speak sometimes. That is all. Just a few conversations.
This year when asked about her fathers whereabouts, she was honest and said she had spoken to him a couple times and what city he was living in. NOW...denied everthing until he provides income info. He abnd his wife refuse to. She is out her FAFSA. Period.