Favorite and Most Hated Christmas Songs

DS3

So list your favorites, and your most hated Christmas songs. Since they're only played for about a month (depending on which store you're in), let's see which ones come out on top! (Also, do you change your ringtone according to the season? I do!)

My favorites:

Carol of The Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Basically anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I love them!
The 12 Pains of Christmas by Bob Rivers (So need this for a laugh this time of year!)
The Hanukkah Song by Adam Sandler (Another laugh this time of year)
Sleigh Ride
Jingle Bell Rock
Little Drummer Boy
All I want for Christmas is You!

Most Amazing Song Ever:

A Soldier's Night Before Christmas (always has me in tears!)

Most Hated:

Anything by Elvis
Winter Wonderland
Silver Bells
The 12 Days of Christmas
Santa Baby

I'll add more as I hear more.

muttmeister

I've been listening to the silly Christmas songs on internet radio because if I listened to the beautiful ones all month I'd probably gag. I do put the pretty ones on for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

My favorites are
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem (Always reminds me of the Christmas I spent there)
Anything by Elvis (sorry DS3)

I hate the maudlin ones that try to make you cry. They just make me barf instead.

One that I love to hear is from South Park: Merry F***ing Christmas. It is terrible and politically incorrect but on some level, expresses some feelings that a lot of us try to keep bottled up inside and not admit that we occasionally have.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
There is a Lite station here that begins playing 24/7 Christmas songs the day of Thanksgiving until December 26th....makes me want to stick pins in my ears.

I also can't stand Elvis (sorry Elvis fans!).

My favorites:

Anything that Stevie Wonder sings, but especially Twinkle Twinkle Little Me and One Little Christmas Tree, and Ave Maria.
I love Josh Grobin's Ave Maria also and his version of O Holy Night....gives me chills.
I like the oldies a lot, such as Jungle Bell Rock.

I do not like stupid songs like Dominic the Donkey, Grandma got Ran over by a Reindeer and the like. I don't even know the names of the ones I don't like, all I know is I hate those long slow drawn out sappy songs, make me want to puke.

I L♥VE upbeat!

DDD

I absolutely hate "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus" and the Chipmonk songs!

Pretty sick of the old standards after all these years, lol. I still enjoy the more "high brow" Christmas songs.
Back to back to back radio repeats has resulted in my radio staying off! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Favorites:

Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
The Little Drummer Boy (makes me cry no clue why but has since I was a little girl)
Silver Bells
Winter Wonderland
Santa Baby
I want a hippopotamus for xmas
I saw mommy kissing santa claus (you have to remember husband and I had an anniversary on xmas eve)
Dreaming of a White Christmas - Bing himself plz no one else

Most Hated:
chipmunk anything they give me a headache and always have
anything Elvis (sorry my mom was obsessed and drove us insane with it growing up)
12 Days of Christmas

Probably more for both but can't think of them right now. lol

S

Signorina

Absolute Favorite: Mr. Heat Miser by Big Bad Vodoo Daddy - just makes me smile and I love the Big Band Sound in their rendition (originally from The Year Without A Santa Claus)

Favorites: Christmas In America by Kenny Rogers
I Pray on Christmas by Harry Connick
What Child is This by Harry Belafonte
Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant (AKA Mary's Song) makes me weep in a good way...
Any respectful version of Silent Night

Least Favorites:
CHIPMUNKS - YIKES
Feliz Navidad
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
Santa Baby

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I hate, hate HATE

The Christmas Shoes

(Yep - that's the true meaning of Chirstmas....Mom's dying so Dad lets the kid go to the mall to buy her a pair of shoes.)

and I hate any song by a new singing star that releases a holiday album and tries too hard to make an old standard sound "super cool".

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Love:
Bruce Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (#1 for sure, but I'm a huge Bruce fan :) )
Eagles' Please Come Home for Christmas
Judy Garland's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Any version of I'll Be Home For Christmas (even though it makes me cry, every single time)
Hannukkah Song by Adam Sandler

My favorite Christmas albums of all time are Bing Crosby, Andy Williams and Peggy Lee. I used to listen to them over and over as a kid, and have the CDs now.

I dislike most country versions of Christmas songs, although Alabama's not bad. I always thought "Christmas in Dixie" was a cool song.

That's all that comes to mind right now...

buddy

I love Amy Grant's original Christmas album. I dont have a tape player anymore so can't hear it. Her newer version changed some things that I loved in the first, but is still great.

and I DO like the Christmas Shoes song! lol I am a sap for that stuff and I mostly listen to the contemporary radio station for all my Christmas Listening needs, ho ho ho.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK... Now keep in mind that I absolutely adore Christmas...

I love:
Novelty (Bob Rivers, Hippopotamus, and so on, with exceptions)
ANY Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamroller & Straight No Chaser
David Bowie & Bing Crosby doing "Little Drummer Boy"

I absotively, posolutely despise:
Alvin, Theodore and Simon - they're animated RODENTS, and NO, I WON'T be seeing the new movie - UGH!
American Idol singers, esp David Cook, trying to make the carol sound better with their own embellishments (Ick. I didn't even watch AI.)
The song "Last Christmas" by ANYONE

Now... Someone mentioned "Carol of the Bells" by TSO? LOL it's actually got more than that in it. It's their super-most-popular "Christmas Eve-Sarajevo 12/24" and it makes me cry the first 30 times they play it every year, and when I go see them I bawl like a baby.

DammitJanet

I love the Christmas Shoes but then again I love country. I love Christmas Carol. If that one doesnt have you in tears, you have no heart. LOL. I think Scotty has some versions of Christmas songs out now and I love Carrie Underwood's versions. Like I said...I love country.

I dont like fast rock.

LittleDudesMom

Favs

Mariah Carey (only her version, no one else's and the full one that begins with the chimes) - All I want for Christmas is You
Barbara Streisand - Ave Maria
John Denver and the Muppets - The Peace of Christmas Morn
Nat King Cole - The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot
Bing Crosby and David Bowie - The Little Drummer Boy
I like many of the older religious hymns like Oh Come of Come Emanuel, We Three Kings, Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, etc., and
Most of the classics from the 40's and 50's (which is my favorite holiday channel on my sirus satellite radio!)

Don't Likes:
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Dominic the Donkey (sorry Star)
Silent Night (I know, I know, I've just never liked that song since I was a little girl)
The Christmas Shoes (cried first time, sniffled second time, a little sad the third time, that was enough for me)

That was fun!

Sharon

H

HaoZi

I hate, hate HATE

The Christmas Shoes

(Yep - that's the true meaning of Chirstmas....Mom's dying so Dad lets the kid go to the mall to buy her a pair of shoes.)

and I hate any song by a new singing star that releases a holiday album and tries too hard to make an old standard sound "super cool".

Had no clue what the title was, but that's #1 on my I don't want to hear it list! It makes me cry, and I hate that.

I do love 12 Pains of Christmas and Grandma got run over by a Reindeer. TSO is on my winter playlist along with Mannheim Steamroller and Nat King Cole. Joe Diffie's Leroy the Redneck Reindeer also puts me in stitches.

trinityroyal

I love just about every traditional Christmas song going. The schmaltzy ones, the novelty ones, the proper ones. The only Christmas songs I have trouble with are some of the rock-n-roll renditions. My favourite favourites though, are the traditional old Christmas hymns. Here are a few that I used to sing in choir when I was younger:

Trinity

Last edited:

svengandhi

I'm Jewish so I don't listen to Christmas songs for spiritual purposes, though I do enjoy the season.

My favorite holiday song is all of Adam Sandler's Hanukah songs - especially the OJ line.

I have always liked "The Little Drummer Boy" and I have no clue why. I love "Grandma Got Run over by a reindeer," "Rudolph, the Red Nose Reindeer," the barking dogs, Dominic the Donkey and the one with the bells.

As for TSO, I don't know if they're here any more, but they lived in my town. One of my sons was in class with their kid and my D actually was allowed to play the electric cello/violin (I'm not a music person) once at a party at their house. VERY nice couple... And I love their music, too.

Oh, I forgot, White Christmas but only as sung by my D. In actuality, I HATE snow and despise white Christmases.

Last edited:

donna723

I love just about all of the old traditional Christmas music, whether it's the more religious variety or Jingle Bells. But I DON'T like the "novelty" type Christmas songs or the ones where they take the old standards and do new arrangements of them where they are hardly recognizable.

And absolutely ANYTHING as long as Andrea Bocelli is singing it! I have practically worn out the CD's where he does the Christmas music - makes me cry! Of course, the man could be singing the listing out of the phone book or the directions on how to install a garbage disposal and it would sound wonderful, especially if he was singing it in Italian!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OH! I forgot Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song!!! I heard it for the first time last weekend and I adore it!!!

InsaneCdn

I really don't like it when WINTER songs get labeled as "Christmas Carols"... and then relegated to only being sung for a few weeks. Frosty the Snowman and Jingle Bells are about WINTER, and can be sung from when the snow flies until its mud season!

The Huron Carol is a favorite.
As are ... all the originals (from Silent Night to Up On the Housetop to The 12 Days of Christmas... ), as long as its "active participation"... not really into recorded stuff.

skeeter

forgive me for doing CD's instead.
John McCutcheon - A Winter's Solstice. Especially "Christmas in the Trenches"
Kathy Mattea - Good News. Love her version of "Brightest and Best" and "Mary Did You Know"
Cyndi Lauper - Merry Christmas, Have a Nice Life. Because the dulcimer player (and her dulcimer teacher) was a very good friend of ours.
The Chieftan's - Bells of Dublin.
The Moody Blues - December

I really don't have any that I absolutely can't stand.