Favorite gift of the season

tiredmommy

I received lots of nice things under the tree this year, but the greatest gift has been... Duckie.

2011 started very rough for her. She was struggling socially at school. She had transitioned poorly from her wonderful, loving multiage program at the lower elementary school to a grade 4/5 looping classroom. The class was full of mostly strong, creative, loud and willful kids. And Duckie was lost. Her attitude was lousy, the girls in her group were obsessed with popularity and she came home miserable and crying almost every day. It was heartbreaking. husband and I strongly considered moving her to a different classroom because the strain on her was growing. She even had a massive meltdown in school (which had never happened before) where the school counsellor became involved. It changed everything. We decided it was best to keep her there so she learn early to deal with adversity.

We revisited her sensory integration issues with an Occupational Therapist (OT). What had previously been relatively mild issues that generally didn't impact her functioning had become a full blown problem to be reckoned with. The stress, puberty and predilection toward sensory issues meant she was in almost continual sensory overload: she couldn't sleep, couldn't eat well, reactive to everything and was just stressed beyond belief. We were losing her. But using the Occupational Therapist (OT) therapies helped bring her back to us. :crying: She was able to start sleeping better and process things better. She could let go of some of the stress. It made a huge difference in her outlook.

Things are different now. I wouldn't say she's a easy child, she'll always give us a run for our money. But... she's stronger now. More confident. She sets goals and works toward them. She worries a little less about where she fits in. Having her doing well is the best gift ever and one I hope for all our families.

Merry Christmas and peace to all. :angel:

buddy

What a blessing that you helped her figure out what was a major part of this and to work through it. Good for her for being a willing participant too! Yes, that is really a gift.

DammitJanet

Merry Xmas TM. I am glad you got Duckie back. I always have a special place in my heart for my little blondie Duck. I will never forget her telling me I could come get her bed...lol. Such a sweetie.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Confronting problems now, will allow Duckie to avoid some bigger issues in adolescence. Smart mom and welcome back Duckie.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. Fran, it was ultimately husband's decision because I was too upset with worry. I was ready to pull her and try homeschooling, lol! But he was right: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Now she's handling peer pressure and cattiness better. She was very upset at the end of last school year when she found out one girl was being moved out of the class because she'd been treated so poorly by the other girls. Duckie told off a few of her friends over it and has a point to be kind to this girl when she her. Makes a mom proud.

cubsgirl

I'm glad Duckie is doing so well - gotta love when our kiddos make progress! Christmas Blessings to you and your family.

tiredmommy

Thank you... she's really pulled it together overall. She's still a major handful but can pass for a easy child most days. I think she's something like Martie's Mr. No: argumentative, oppositional and difficult but also strong, creative and an independent thinker. And that has very little to do with husband and I but rather it's just the way she's made. There are no guarantees that this will continue but I'll take it while I can.