favorite Movie (and why)

KTMom91

My all-time favorite is The Shining. Love the book, too. A very close second is Young Frankenstein. Also White Christmas.

What a weird grouping...does this say anything about my mental health (or lack of it)?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
If we are going to talk about Cary Grant then we can't leave out "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn. I just watched it again last week! Fabulous flick! :)

Suz

donna723

Sara, I know exactly what you mean about "Field of Dreams"! I grew up in a baseball-loving family in St. Louis and the movie expresses the sentiments perfectly! A friend and I sneaked off to our first major league game at the old Sportsmans Park by getting on a city bus with a pocketful of change - we were SEVEN years old! Can you imagine kids doing that now?

Something else that captures the feeling perfectly ... if they ever show the "When it Was a Game" series on HBO again, make sure to watch it! I think you can buy it on DVD. It's a very reverent look at all the old long-gone ball fields and teams and players with lots of photos and old film footage. I tear up every time!

muttmeister

I mentioned my 3 favorites above but I also have all of the Indiana Jones movies (except the new one, of course) and all of the James Bond movies on DVD and I do watch them over and over. Just great escapism. Maybe I should have been a man because, most of the time, I prefer movies where there are chase scenes and things blow up.

Star Wars. The original one. Just because.

Pulp Fiction. My favorite movie that I can't let Tink watch.

The Emperor's New Groove. The funniest, most under-rated and under-advertised Disney movie EVER.

Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein. (comedy)

Holy Grail and Rocky Horror (cult)

Copper & I laughed BODY parts off at "The Rundown". Christopher Walken makes any movie good.

Coookie

#1 - Lord of the Rings Trilogy. :redface:

The Godfather, Shindlers List, Blow with Johnny Depp, The Secret Window with Johnny Depp... and Always with Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter.

Oh and I like What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Don Juan DeMarco...with Johnny Depp again. :crazy1:

Strange... HUH? :)

Hugs

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
A Fish Called Wanda

Caddshack

Raising Arizona

Those are my Funny...
Kind Of Serious List... off the top of my head

Big Chill
Hotel Rwanda
Amelie

Abbey

Spork Queen
My all time favorite is Toy Story. At the time it was made, it was technically so inventive. (ok...I'm a nerd.)

Vegas Vacation

The Brave Little Toaster (animated kid's movie, absolutely adorable, original, not future remakes)

Caddyshack

March of the Penguins

I like kid stuff. Not really into drama or scary movies. I love a good comedy.

Abbey

I'm so glad to see that I have some company in my love for "To Kill A Mockingbird". It's my absolute favorite both as a book and a movie and a huge inspiration for the path that my life has taken.

By the way Atticus Finch was a real man - Harper Lee's Dad. The story is her true story, only her mother was chronically ill - not deceased. husband and I discovered early on our mutual love for Atticus and the principles he portrays. We both grew up in the South and the story really resonates with us. husband is as close as I could get marrying my hero - he works as a lawyer for those who can't afford one and he even looks a little like Gregory Peck - LOL...

N

Nomad

To Kill a Mockingingbird: Thought provoking
Sixth Sense: Suspenseful
You've Got Mail: Romance, Fun, Joyful
It's a Wonderful Life: Thought provoking
Friend Green Tomatoes: Sisterhood
* I can't even think of this movie for a 1/2 of a second with-o thinking of that famous line when Kathy Bates gets mad at that young woman and crashes her car and then says "Face it ladies, I'm older and I have more insurance. "

To a lessor extent...
What Dreams May Come: Thought provoking and very different (a little too depressing at times though)
Happy Feet: Adorable and thought provoking. Loved the idea to accept others with differences and to look for their attributes (a little too much political commentary at the end for my taste though)
Ghost: Suspenseful and romantic

Overboard and Pretty Woman...fun kinda "girlie" movies...really enjoyable!

(It's kinda hard to pin this list down...too many to chose from! Thank you for this thread...great fun!)

trinityroyal

was he in that movie with Mickie rooney and the leprechauns?

The dude who was in the movie with the Leprechauns was a very young and VERY VERY smokin' hot Sean Connery. AND, they made him SING (very badly, I might add) but goodness gracious!

(Darby O'Gill and The Little People. A disney movie. Worth sitting through it for the sight of Mr. Connery hewing wood in the farmer's fields.)

change

I have a bunch...different reasons for each:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Symbolism of struggles between good vs. evil and inner demons

Step It Up: difficult child type kid gets his life together because he has a passion that's tapped into finally by hooking up with kids that he SHOULD be hanging out with and teachers decide to give him a chance, etc.

October Sky: True Story about kids who just needed someone to believe in them and grew up to have brilliant science careers

Race for the Sun: True story about slacker type students who just needed some leadership and an adult to believe in them

Hoosiers: True story about a basketball team beating the odds

Centerstage: Good movie about preserverance

Friday Night Lights: Another true sports story :)

Steel Magnolias:Ultimate story showing mother-daughter bonds and strength of female bonds altogether! ;)

trinityroyal

Oh yeah. I almost forgot...one of the few "modern" movies I really like.

Love, Actually. Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman...lots of other excellent British actors. A real romantic comedy.