Favorite Wintery Recipes

SRL

It's cold and icy and I've been grabbing for my crockpot (actually a Nesco 6qt roaster) a lot lately, both for convenience and so I have enough for lots of leftovers. My family has really fallen for this chicken recipe below. I usually double it and use 7-8 chicken breasts. I also like to shred the meat before adding the cream cheese and then serve it on taco shells or tortillas.

Any other favorites to share?
Crockpot Chicken with Beans and Corn

4-5 boneless chicken breasts

1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans

1 (15 ounce) can corn (frozen works fine too)

1 (15 ounce) jar salsa, any kind

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
Directions

1. Take 4-5 frozen, yes, frozen, boneless chicken breasts put into crock pot.
  2. add 1 can of black beans, drained, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn drained.
  3. Keep in crock pot on high for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked. Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 1/2 hour.
  4. All done and enjoy!

Lothlorien

Would love some good crockpot recipes. I'm starting the kids with Karate this week, three times a week and the classes are right at the time I usually start dinner. I'm gonna be using my crockpot a lot, now.

M

ML

That sounds delicous and I will try it soon! I like putting either a roast or a chicken in the crockpot all day, shredding it and adding bbq sauce. I'm about simple and easy :)

everywoman

A large roast, lipton onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, 1 16 oz diet pepsi. Place all in crock pot and cook all day.

I serve the first night with rice.

The second night I add beef broth, a bag of frozen veggies, and a can of stewed tomatoes to make vegetable beef soup and serve with corn bread.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm going to give you all a yummy recipe for broccoli soup. But I rarely cook with exact measurements. But usually 5 medication to large size potatoes and 1 bag of frozen brocooli serves my family of 5 with leftovers.

Dice potatoes into medication size chunks. Dice half a sweet onion. Boil potatoes and onion together until a fork slides easily thru a potato. (takes about 20 mins) Add in the frozen broccoli. Cook until broccoli is done. Do not drain off the water. Instead add milk until the water takes on the appearance of the milk. (really you won't be adding that much milk) Then add chunks of velveeta until cheesy to taste. How cheesy depends on you. But remember to keep the soup consistancy.

When I first served this soup my family looked at me like I'd lost a few brain cells. lol Now I've already had requests and will probably be making us some this week. :)

donna723

Not really a 'recipe' - just what I'm having for dinner. I finally defrosted what was left of the Christmas ham today (I ate ham till I was sick of it and then froze the rest). I got enough off of it for several more meals and now I've got the bone and what was left simmering in a big pot of beans for soup - gives it such a good flavor and with corn bread, it's perfect 'comfort food' for when it's cold and nasty outside!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oooooh, I've got a good recipe for Mushroom Barley soup... it's out of the Moosewood Cookbook (which I do NOT have :( ) but I got it from an old boyfriend's mom who made it for us once after a cross country ski outing. Boy did it hit the spot! As soon as I find it, I'll post it! :D

klmno

Moussaka...yum!! I use a "single-working mom's" recipe when I make it- which is rare. I'd like to try a more traditional recipe (Greek traditional).

Yep, Donna, I've used leftover ham scraps/bone for split-pea soup before. I love it but difficult child wasn't too fond of any green soup. LOL!!

Of course, there is the tried and true chilli, and the fried foods that I make in the winter just because it's too hot to make them often in the summer and I'd rather grill out in the warm weather.

This week's menu: Crab cakes (store-made), pasta with- sundried tomato pasta sauce, and either fresh asparagus, fresh spinach, or Witz's zucchini with- parmesan cheese; fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, peas, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, beans; mexican chicken casserole, salad, garlic toast.

I used to like an Irish pub (before difficult child was even a twinkle in anyone's eye) that made a delicious beer cheddar soup- if anyone has a rich, thick recipe for this- I'd love it if they would share! :D

Oh- difficult child is making "snickerdoodles" as we speak- he learned this in "Independent Living" class (aka Home-Easy Child). I guess I can't blame all the weight gain on his medications- they increase his appetite, but the food around here is not exactly diet-friendly.

Last edited:

DDD

No recipe today but ... did you all know that you can buy white sauce in a can??? I caught a few minutes of Semi Homemade on the food network yesterday and she was making some "wintery" recipe. She opens a can and pours in white sauce. OMG! I cook all the time and I have never seen that before. If it's in my store it is going to thicken up quite a few recipes on colder nights. DDD

I'm making chicken and dumplings tonight. Stuck without a car, I'm making do with what I have on hand.

I made stock out of leftover carrots, an onion, garlic, and 9 drumsticks (saved one for Tink to make "chicken on the bone") alone with dried herbs. I simmered it for about an hour, took out the drumsticks, removed the meat, and then returned to bones to the pot for another hour. Then I strained it, removing the bones and veggies, and added back the meat. When it is time to make dinner, I'm going to make cheater dumplings beacuse I am out of flour. I'm going to use canned biscuits (and, save one for Tink to go with her chicken) and just cut them into pieces and drop them in the stew. I'll let you know how it turns out!

DammitJanet

KLMNO....is the cheese soup perchance welsh rarebit? I make that and it is to die for. Yummy yum yum.

I want the mushroom barley soup recipe please...lol...I love barley. I also love split pea soup and baby lima beans and ham. Lima beans are good in the crock pot. You can serve them over rice and corn bread.

Lisa didnt you give us that broccoli soup recipe before? I think so and I made it and the family loved it but I lost the recipe...so I am glad you posted it again.

I have a ham and pasta recipe. It isnt crockpot though. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Hi,
Lisa, that broccoli soup sound great, I think I'm going to make that tomorrow! I'd love the mushroom barley recipe as well. Thanks, Alyssa

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
klmno- I have this recipe...no idea where it came from but it has *someone's* recommendation at the beginning!

Beer-Cheddar Soup

"This wonderful recipe can be kept warm in a 3-1/2 to 4 quart crockpot if you stir it frequently. Top with cheese flavored popcorn, tiny goldfish or other cheesy crackers, or croutons.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup minced celery
  • 1 cup minced carrots
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 10 oz. bottle beer (non alcoholic works just fine)
  • 10 oz. can condensed chicken broth
  • 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • white cheese popcorn"
Suz

Last edited:

smallworld

I have the Moosewood Cookbook, but can't seem to lay my hands on it (too many cookbooks in this house!). But I make a similar Mushroom Barkley Soup from the Six O'Clock Scramble Cookbook, which I use constantly because it contains quick and healthy dinner recipes for busy families.

Here's the Mushroom Barley Soup recipe:

1 cup pearl barley
3 boxes (32 oz each) chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1.5 lbs (24 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I substitute minced garlic)
3 tbs sherry

Rinse the barley in cold water. Combine the broth and barley in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 min, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until slightly browned, about 5 min. Add the mushrooms, celery and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are softened, about 15 more min. After the barley has simmed for 40 min, add the mushroom mixture and carrots to the soup. Simmer for 10 to 15 min (make sure the barley is tender). If the soup is too thick, add up to 1 cup water. Stir in the sherry, warm the soup through and serve.

I also make this yummy Butternut Squash Soup:

1 medium-large butternut squash
2 tbs butter
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Slice the ends off the squash and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and place the two halves, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the squash until it is very tender 50 to 60 min.
Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 min. Add the onion, celery, cinnamon and giner and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the onions and celery are softened, 5 to 8 min.
When the squash is tender, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few min. Peel off the skin or scrape out the flesh and add it to the pot with the onions. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir it thoroughly and simmer gently for about 10 min.
Puree the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot. Stir in the salt and honey. Serve the soup hot.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yes, Janet. I'd posted the broccoli soup recipe before. :) It's just so darn easy, I wanted to do it again. Now you'll have to fill me in on how to make ham and pasta. :D I can honestly say I've never even heard of it before, but we're ham lovers so I'm sure it'll be a hit with this family. lol

The mushroom barley soup sounds yummy. Suggestions on what to serve with it please?? I can hear husband now......But there's no potatoes or meat in it. :rofl:

DDD what is "white sauce" ?? Is that anything like milk gravy? You know where you make gravy from drippings, flour, and milk? Excuse my ignorance.......My Mom couldn't cook to save her life.....And dear ol' Grandma and my aunt never used recipes hardly at all. So I find myself sometimes staring at ingreadients for recipes when I'm trying something new unable to figure out what they're talking about. lol

I'm afraid "white sauce" is one of those moments.

DammitJanet

Ham and pasta. We use leftover Christmas or Easter Ham. Now I dont use exact measurements so here goes.

Cook up some Bow tie pasta...enough for your family. rinse and save in covered pan.

In a frying pan add some butter and diced onions and cook till onions are tender. Add about two or three tbls of cornstarch to mixture. stir. add a can of chicken broth. then add about two cups of diced ham and a bag of frozen peas. cook until ham and peas are hot. pour over pasta and serve with rolls.
In frying pan

klmno

I'm not sure if the beeer cheddar soup was Welsh rarebit or not- I don't know hat that is LOL! (I'm with Lisa about some of this :) ) It didn't have popcorn in it though. It was called the house's special soup so that doesn't help. It was a very thick and rich soup and you couldn't taste in beer in it. So what does your recipe have in it, Janet?

SRL

Here's another cheese soup option. Trust me, it sounds better than the title suggest. Kids who don't usually like soup even love it.

Cheeseburger Soup

2 tablespoons onion, chopped
½ cup shredded carrots (I pulverize in food processor)
½ cup diced celery (optional)
½ teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
½ pound hamburger, browned & drained
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
10 ounces processed American cheese, torn into pieces
1 ½ cups milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup sour cream (optional)

Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about ten minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes just start to get tender. While soup is simmering, tear or cube cheese into smaller pieces and set aside. Pour milk into a bowl and whisk in flour, stirring to remove any lumps. When simmering is complete, stir flour-milk mixture into soup. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and pepper, stirring frequently until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.

Note: I usually double this recipe so we have leftovers. I also often wing it on the amounts of carrots, potatoes and cheese.

DammitJanet

WELSH RAREBIT 2 c. sharp grated Cheddar cheese
2/3 c. milk
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Melt cheese over hot water, slow, add milk and stir until smooth add seasonings. Serve on toast. 4 servings.

Best eaten over crumbled crackers I think.