Fear of driving

Abbey

Spork Queen
Not sure where to start with this, but over the past few years I've developed a huge fear of driving. I haven't had a car in the past month or so, so it hasn't been a huge problem. But, prior to that...BIG. This has been a source of arguments between H and I because he doesn't see why I just can't 'get over it.'

When I flew into Milwaukee and drove North, I thought I was going to die. The number of turns, highway changes, etc., brought on such a panic. Keep in mind I've lived in Chicago, CA, Vegas...no problem. This city just freaked me out. And, it took a good 45 minutes to get out of the darn thing with other drivers going 1000mph. Just when I'd see a sign for the next highway change, it was 6 lanes over on the left. Great. I'm in the right lane.

Another issue is my vision. Ummm...it could be better to put it politely, especially at night. So when I'm in a new place it really scares me that I can't read street signs until I'm literally on them.

So here is the positive. Daughter is here to visit and she has a GPS thingy in her car that I am salivating at. This thing is unreal.
I WANT ONE.

Even in a crazy little town like this, it took us to everywhere we wanted to go. I had no idea where we were...but we got back home safe and sound.:D She even remarked, "Mom...why does every street have 3 different names?" Sigh...don't know. But that little GPS bugger had no problem.

I WANT ONE!!!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Abbey I got one last Christmas. It is wonderful. I drive all over the country and don't even carry a map or a mapquest print out. It tells me which side of the high way the exit ramp is located.

difficult child was the first. It gives him confidence and freedom he wouldn't have driving all over the place. He even takes it with him when he is in a strange city like NYC while walking so he gets to where he is going.

Hope Santa puts one in your stocking. It is a great help.

susiestar

Roll With It
get one. It sounds like more of a safety issue than a luxury. Think of it as adaptive technology.

I am sorry driving bothers you so much.

hugs.

meowbunny

I love mine. They truly are the greatest gadget invented in modern times. I'd be hard-pressed if someone made me choose between my Mio and my laptop. I can't live without either of them and I have a great sense of direction. I'm one of those people who can get lost and still manage to find my way to where I want to go but with the GPS it just feels better and safer. So, my dear, GO GET ONE!!!!

It will drop your anxiety a little and give you a little more confidence behind the wheel. This is not a luxury item for you but a true necessity (and you can find them for under $100 this time of year).

Jena

Abbey i got one last xmas as well, i get lost absolutely everywhere LOL.

I dont blame you with the driving, it happens. People with whom have driven for years, suddenly have issue with it. Have you had your vision checked??

I went to the dr. last year, had my eyes checked winds up i'm far sighted and near sighted. he said how long have you been walking around like this?? lol i said umm i dunno??? :) So, i got glasses, and hence i can see, i can see!!

go get your eyes checked and you def need a thingy for your car. i love my thingy she talks to me, has a nice voice. she even messes up sometimes yet she'll say "recalculating" so i just kinda stay in one spot till she gets it together. the kids call her "becky". :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, ask Santa really really nice, and maybe he'll bring you one. :D

I understand the anxiety well. I'm ok on normal city streets. Even your basic sort of highway doesn't phase me these days. But no freeways. Nope. Uh un. Not gonna happen. I even prefer to drive in downtown Dayton than to navigate the darn freeway. (and I hate downtown Dayton)

Not my driving I'm worried about. It's all those "I'm in a hurry to die" people that drive me crazy. (and I'm a lead foot lol)

A GPS system sounds like an awesome idea. It should do alot to releave your anxiety. And then the more you drive, the more familiar things will become and not seem so scary. :)

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, yes...had vision checked many times over the years. Always end up with $500 trifocals, which I could never adjust to. Now I just spend $3.99 for the granny glasses I hang around my neck for emergency reading. Got to love microscopic coupons.

I DO need to get one of those GPS things. It would lower my anxiety so much. I won't even wait for Santa. I just need to squirrel away some money.

I know that when I made the appointment to volunteer, I called and asked for directions. I knew it was only a mile or so from my house. She says, "Are you on the east or west side of the 41?" Ummm...not really sure but I know you're not far. "Well, if you cross the river, Witzel turns into Ohio, but if you make the curve, then it's Nebraska Street. WHAT MORON DID THIS? I'd fire that city planner.:mad:

For right now, I'll just use the bus. He knows where he's going.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Those things can be VERY helpful.

But they drive me NUTS if I try to use it to get somewhere I sort of know how to get to, but maybe can't quite remember where to turn. I guess because I usually end up remembering a specific way to go and then the system tells me to go another way and I get all messed up.

My phone has Google Maps on it, so if I'm going someplace I've never been to, I'll pull it up just before leaving and it shows me the way. I can just turn on the phone and pull up the map as I'm driving and it even shows me where I am in relation to my destination.

Maybe Santa will stuff your stocking with one of those GPS gadgets? Lots of great deals this year because of the economy!

donna723

Abbey, I hear ya! I have to drive about 70 miles a day back and forth to work and I don't really have a phobia about driving ... I just would rather not! I'm OK as long as it's daylight and I know where I'm going. But I hate Hate HATE having to drive through a big city I'm not familiar with and try to find my way by watching the signs! I do it if I have to but it makes me a nervous wreck! I always seem to be in the wrong lane and can't get over! If you can get yourself a GPS thingie, I say go for it!

I LOVE to be able to just stay home and not have to go anywhere! I worry that something will happen to my eight year old car and I'll be stranded somewhere. And I worry about another deer running out in front of me like what happened last February - totaled my car. And I worry about driving at night ... I know I don't see as well at night as I used to and I can't read the signs until I'm right on top of them - and then there's the people who never dim their lights! I try to be at home where I belong before it gets too dark!

Last edited:
F

flutterbee

I don't have one and have never used one, although I really should get one as I get so confused anymore.

However, Wynter should not be allowed to leave the house without one. She gets lost in her own neighborhood. Not kidding.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
husband and I have discussed them in detail. It is on our list of things to get. Him because he gets lost in the backyard and me I want one for when I go on national disasters in different areas because not everywhere has a map to use.

Get one for yourself to save your sanity.

hugs
beth

Andy

Sounds like something easy child needs........

Wednesday night she and K stopped in St Cloud on the way to the cities. Now, St Cloud is a confusing city and easy to get turned around in. K told me she would Google directions for their way out and back on 94 East.

8:30 pm, I called and asked where they were:

"We are lost. We are heading East on Hwy 23"

"You are suppose to go West on Hwy 23. Have you crossed Hwy 10?"

"Yes, awhile back!"

"Turn around and head back to town. Watch for signs for 94 East."

I then tried to suggest that she head South on Hwy 10 until she got to the Clearwater/Clear Lake cut across. It would have been easier than going through St. Cloud but she would not listen.

So, about 1/2 hour later, I call again to ask where she was:

"We are lost again. We followed directions to 94 but are now on Hwy 15."

"That is good. Are you going South or West?"

"South"

"That is perfect. Keep going. You will get to 94 soon. Just make sure you go 94 East!"

I later found out that K did get directions, however, there was detours to contend with and I know that those can often be difficult to navigate.

About 9:55 pm, I called again. They just pulled off the interstate to Rice Street. They had 5 minutes to arrive before the alarm was set on the door they wanted to come in by. Since they arrived at 10:05, they had to go in the front enterance and carry their luggage the length of the building.

At least they made it safe and sound.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
You know he has a huge family it is possible. It gives me great pleasure to tell him where to go...I mean give him directions while we are driving.

beth

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Well, I love to drive, although I'm not a big city driver. I don't mind getting lost, just being late bugs me. I have a maps selection on my phone which is fabulous. It has a gps where you can tell where you are at any given moment. The only bad thing is when you are in a poor cell coverage area.

When I move to an area I spend the first week, just driving around the area, getting familiar with the names of roads in my area. That was back before gas prices were so high and with them coming back down it helps. My eyesight is not what it used to be and driving at night is no longer fun for me. I do prepare if I'm going on a trip and will look up ahead of time on Mapquest, just to get a heads up on when to get in the left lane etc., but the new GPS are great and give you lots of warning about when to turn, left, right, merge......

But then again, the bus driver should know the route.........

Lothlorien

We went into Philly a few months back. Got there no problem, but getting out was a nightmare. What should have been an hour and a half home, turned into 3 1/2 hours. That was the last straw and I figured that a $200. tinker toy would save our marriage, since the two of us were about to strangle each other, by the time we got home. The one I bought is bluetooth enabled. When I turn it on, it automatically connects with my phone and I use the speaker function. This is a great feature, because prior to that, if my phone rang, I'd be fumbling through my pocketbook to find the darn phone.

I bought a Garmin. From the reviews, these seem to be the better ones, but Tom Tom or Magellan are okay, too.

Until I bought this, I would not take the trip into a city without husband driving. Now, I feel EMPOWERED!!!!:irock:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, I survived my first day of driving here IN A SNOW STORM.:mad: Granted, it's only 2 miles away...

Supposedly 8-10 inches by morning. H is on his way back from Vegas - somewhere in Iowa right now.

father in law brought his car over for me to use because the busses don't run on Sunday.

And, a very lovely board member is sending me her Garmin!!!

THANK YOU!