Feel it Coming In the Air Tonight.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
You cant safely detox from any benzo without inpatient. It is dangerous. Your friend is kidding herself.

I think it is common to hear one thing we want to hear and think its done. It is seldom so simple. They do say what we want to hear to get favors from us.
Can one even detox from benzodiazepines with another benzo?

BusynMember

No. If you are addicted to benzos, you are addicted to benzos and cant take any in order to detox. Its like drinking beer instead of wine if you are an alcoholic and saying that you are detoxing from alcohol. You arent.

Littleboylost

The boy worked today and he's working tomorrow I just had a conversation with him on the phone. He didn't beg for me to come home so I could drive him everywhere he didn't ask to use the car he just said he was hopping in the shower (which gratefully means he's not flopped on his bed all dirty after work) and he's catching the bus down to visit his girlfriend. He sounds like my old boy and if it's just for today and yesterday i'll take it hope with no expectations

BusynMember

Guard your heart. Its too soon. He may want something for his good behavior. He knows what you want to hear.

You have to give addiction at least one sober year...its a lifelong illness.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Agree.

Proceed with caution or as I call it "cautiously optimistic". That is where I am with my son.

I sent him a card a few weeks ago after having little contact with him trying to explain why I have been distant but emotionally supportive; how I have learned to be more compassionate through this ordeal with him and I am now practicing self-compassion. I felt I was so entrenched in negativity for so long that now I only want to be happy and think of good things and positive things. I sent him a card with a big key on the front and I told him that HE is the key to his life. He is the problem and he is the solution.

He is really respecting everything that I said to him in my letter. He sends me pictures of himself where he looks amazing and they make my heart swell with promise of having a future. I hope I never have to see him high again.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
RN, of course he was just on pills but there were burn marks. Unfortunately, she can choose to put the pieces together like we all have or ignore it. We know there were so many red flags in the scenario.

The prayers and honesty of our friends truly are a treasure when we won't hear it from the sick one.

Keep being the great friend you are:)

RN0441

No. If you are addicted to benzos, you are addicted to benzos and cant take any in order to detox. Its like drinking beer instead of wine if you are an alcoholic and saying that you are detoxing from alcohol. You arent.

I have been thinking about our emails to one another this week and I finally realized that SHE is in denial. They both are.

She has a long way to go and I feel for her because "it ain't easy". I am just a mom, I am not a therapist.

He obviously is in deep and only telling her enough to get back into his bedroom. Ugh I am glad it's not me.

I will be there to support her if she needs it and if she ever is really ready to educate herself.

Ignorance is bliss.

Littleboylost

Yup called him 3 times to get up before I left for work today. I just got a text. Says his ride didn't text him until after they left....always someone else's fault. 2 days were good....man adulting is going to be tough on this kid.

RN0441

I'm so sorry; hopefully a minor setback?

I think that you probably should not call him to remind him to get up for work. I know it's hard but let HIM do this.....

Littleboylost

I agree RN baby steps I no longer rant and drag him out of bed...which is why he missed 60% of his school year last year and got 4/7 credits. I now call him after his alarm goes off to turn it off as he can somehow sleep through it. And then I give him a 10 min warning that he is to be up and on his way. I pray for strength to leave him on his own to wake up. He has asked if I can wake him because he does sleep. Deeply. He has to figure this out some time. And I know as long as I wake him he won't.

Littleboylost

I have been thinking about our emails to one another this week and I finally realized that SHE is in denial. They both are.

She has a long way to go and I feel for her because "it ain't easy". I am just a mom, I am not a therapist.

He obviously is in deep and only telling her enough to get back into his bedroom. Ugh I am glad it's not me.

I will be there to support her if she needs it and if she ever is really ready to educate herself.

Ignorance is bliss.
Denial is very powerful, my husband is in denial and disbelief. It is a state I spend little time in myself. And I have to develop a bit of empathy for my husband while I try to bring him through to the reality of Difficult Child.. Therapy is helping and he will have to be accountable at our next session for his decision to renig on our plan to ask our son to leave.

Teriobe

He can set various alarm clocks where he has to get out of bed to turn off. And there are alarm clocks that get louder and louder. I been thru this with my son. It worked.