Feeling a bit better

toughlovin

So we have been communicating with my son about conditions the last couple of days. I originally sent him a message and he responded and then he called and we had a good conversation over the phone. My expectation when i sent him the text was to get the manipulative, entitled, bordering on nasty comments... which is what he does when he is using.....or to get serious push back about why was I doing this.

I didnt get any of that. Instead I got a good conversation about what would work and wouldnt work from a practical point of view, with some alternative suggestions which were good ones. He also talked about his work with his sponser and work on the 4th step.

This is a sign to me that at this moment at time he is not using and is actually back on track.... of course he could be totally playing me in which case he has gotten really really good at it, but I dont think so. The conversation felt too real and real discussion instead of manipulation.

It does sound like he is working hard to find a job. His only transportation is a bike and some of the jobs he would like would require him to drive..... and he needs to find something he can bike too..... but he does sound serious about it. The sober house is requiring him to go to 2 meetings a day which he is also doing. And he is going to the gym.

Nancy

That is encouraging news TL. It's hard to look for a job when you are required to go to two meetings a day. Hope he can find something.

New Leaf

TL, it is really nice to read positive news of your sons progress. Thank you so very much for sharing. It's encouraging, I hope the very best for you folks and will be looking forward to reading more.
Yay!

leafy

toughlovin

So I have so much history of distrust and the reality is I know he lies and my distrust is based on past experience. Last night I talked to him and his speech sounded kind of labored...he was talking more slowly and carefully. Yet he was making sense and his speech was not slurred? I got off the phone and just felt worried and uncomfortable. I knew he was going to call me back today and I knew I had to ask him about it. I had the thought that maybe it was due to medications he is on.

So I just talked to him...and I brought it up...I was blunt I told him he sounded weird last night what was up. We had a normal rational conversation. Only you on this board understand that that is significant. Anyway he thinks it is due to the seroquel he takes at night to help him sleep....which makes perfect sense. I know he is on seroquel but had forgotten about that. Anyway he seemed to understand why I was concerned and had no issue with me asking him about it!

Copabanana

My expectation when i sent him the text was to get the manipulative, entitled, bordering on nasty comments... which is what he does when he is using.....or to get serious push back about why was I doing this.
TL, has he relapsed since he entered treatment? I did not know.
How much credit you all merit, him and you and your husband, as you go through this.
We had a normal rational conversation. Only you on this board understand that that is significant.
I sure do. My most disquieting interactions with my son are over the phone. Thank you for putting this in your post. I feel less alone.

COPA

toughlovin

Yes he did relapse with alcohol....which we only knew about because he told us before we went to visit. And it is the rational normal conversation that makes me believe he is sober for the moment...