Feeling conflicted

dstc_99

Ok so about 4 months ago a friend of mine wanted to do a Spartan Race. I had previously turned her down on the Tough Mudders due to the electric shock thing but she told me the Spartan Race was a step down from that and it would be fun. I should also mention I was told this was a 5K (3.1 MI) run. After weeks of badgering I broke down and signed up thinking the race would be a muddy mess but that it wouldn't be to bad. I still didn't want to do it but I was trying to be supporting.

Since this time I have started working full time and difficult child has moved back home. Lets just say my time in the gym has been limited to nonexistant most weeks. I am not in the kind of shape I was several months ago. I have also planned a long awaited vacation to Mexico that will happen one week after the Spartan Race. I do not want to go on vacation injured or with cuts and bruises. I want to walk on the beach in all my glory looking as good as I can for myself and husband.

Three days ago I went online to find out more about the race. (she signed me up months ago). This freaking race is more strennuous than a Tough Mudder and is 4 miles long in the mountains. They have penaltys for each obstacle you dont complete and there are between 15-20 obstacles. The penaltys are things like 30 burpees. Burpees are NOT fun! I could maybe do 30 burpees but there is no way I can do that 15-20 times while running 4 miles and attempting obstacles.

So my problem is I don't want to go!!! I do not want to risk being injured and not being able to fully enjoy my vacation. I hate running 3.1 miles why in the lords name would I ever run 4. I know I do not have the upper body strength for the rope climb or the spear throw or the zillion other obstacles. Plus I have no interest in this. I was doing it for her. To be honest I was probably drunk when I agreed to it. OOPS

Now I feel like I have to go to support her because even though she can't do half the stuff and is mortified that we signed up for something so difficult she still wants to do it. This woman has RA and is in pain all the time and she has way more balls than I do. I love working out but I don't like torture I think she may love the pain.

What shoudl I do? I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS! But I will feel like a crappy friend if I don't.

I could send her hubby with her and let him take my spot but I would have to check with the race and see if he could take my place.

JKF

I would just be honest with her and tell her you don't want to do it. Explain your reasoning. Not wanting to be injured or bruised for a long awaited vacation is more than reasonable! And I'm giggling at the part of probably being drunk when you agreed to do the race. I once agreed to pole dancing classes after having my fair share of wine with some good friends! Oh boy!!! Thank god they gave me a free pass on that one!

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

SuZir

Tell her what you told us. You have good reasons not want to do it. However that of course doesn't need to keep you from going there with her to cheer (and chauffeur her back to home) and listen to her bragging and railing you afterwards ;)

dstc_99

Tell her what you told us. You have good reasons not want to do it. However that of course doesn't need to keep you from going there with her to cheer (and chauffeur her back to home) and listen to her bragging and railing you afterwards

LOL Thats kind of what I was thinking about doing. Ive heard that since there are a lot of obstacles you have to stop frequently. I was thinking about going and running with her in between obstacles and then doing the few that looked really safe.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with the others; tell her what you told us. Tell her you thought it would be a 5k and that you would be happy to cheer her on!

dstc_99

And I'm giggling at the part of probably being drunk when you agreed to do the race. I once agreed to pole dancing classes after having my fair share of wine with some good friends! Oh boy!!! Thank god they gave me a free pass on that one!

Picture me now waving my freshly printed free pass in the air and screaming "free at last" !!!!