Feeling Guilty to Update

My last post indicated that my son had been offered a job at the rehab facility where he was a patient. On Jan. 9, insurance cut him off and the facility hired him. As of today, he is still employed there and actually seems to like what he us doing. The pay is not very good, he works 3rd shift but he is ok with it all. He seems to be finally growing up. He tells me hes trying to saving money. He just had a birthday. I felt sad that I couldn't spend time with him, but the distance has done us good. We're on the East Coast and he is one the West Coast. I haven't seen him since October . Hoping to see him in May.

He admits he can't come home. Too many bad memories and temptations. I am so proud of him for sticking with staying sober. It's very bittersweet. Parents just want the best for their children and when things turn ugly, it's hard to keep that dream.

I'm one of the lucky ones. My son put us thru hell, but he is alive and hopefully back on track to becoming a positive functioning man. My heart breaks for all of those not so lucky and still struggling daily with difficult children. I pray for all suffering such heartache.

BusynMember

I am cautiously happy for you. Three months is too soon to really say you are out of the woods. Takes a year or two of living in the outside world to know. I am glad things are going well now. Enjoy NOW!!!!

I realize that 5 months is not long enough to call a victory , but every sober day is a victory. I know that at any time a relapse can occur. The fact that my son CHOOSES to stay says a lot. I have cautionary expectations for the future. I want to believe that the worst is behind us but reality says, it's always lurking right around the corner. My journey may not have been as horrible as some, but it was horrible. Every family pays a heavy price for addiction. Some never see the other side.

I'm hoping I don't have to go down the ugly path of addiction again. If I do, I have gained a knowledge no parent should know but too many do.

My prayers are with those suffering the horrible effects of addiction. I pray that a small ray of sunshine crosses your paths.

Origami

Cautious optimism is good, maybe the best kind! I'm glad things are going well for you and your son at the moment, and that's really all we can hope for since can't foresee the future.

Childofmine

one day at a time
So glad to hear this and I so agree that we are in all of this for this day...right now. Right now is what matters. We can't do a thing about the past and who knows what the future holds? So let's relish and relax into this good news and pray that it continues! So happy for you!