Feeling hopeless for my adult homeless son

blackgnat

Am living your story right now. Son is 27, 28 in December.

Called tonight and said he can't do it anymore and if we can't help him, he isn't going to survive much longer.

No pain like it.

Mamacat

I am so sorry blackgnat. I'm new to the forum and just beginning to ssy no. As a result my daughter does not speak to me nor lets me talk tomy granddaughters. I'm sad for you and for all of us as we navigate a world we never imagined for our families. Sending love your way.

rjrodgersblue

Same old thing going on with my son. Still homeless and broke, but has managed to leave Hawaii, somehow got to Tx, then Phoenix and now Ca. Do people still hop trains? All in a month. Have no clue. Everyday is full of angry, hurtful and delusional conversations. I usually don't answer when he calls. Says he is tired of sleeping on the streets, but just wants "assistance" from family. He still thinks the government, wi fi and internet are watching him and I think that is why he stays nowhere long. This situation seems to be getting worse everyday and rock bottom does not seem to be happening with him. Not sure how much more I can take.
Oh Annie, I can hear the pain you are going through. i still answer the phone when my son calls. He went to jail for almost a month and managed to get into a mental health diversion program for his bipolar disorder and has been properly medicated and sober for 6 months now. he has been released starting tomorrow from his IOP and the sober living facility he has been living in. Doesn’t have a place to live and knows he cannot live with his family due to past stealing and disruptions. I guess he will live in his car. And I will go back to worrying. Get a good therapist. Mine has helped me tremendously.

If he actually feels he is being watched by the government, wi-fi, TV waves are talking to him, etc. those are classic symptoms of schizophrenia. That is not being different or rebellious...that is having the most severe mental illness that exists, untreated. Has he ever mentioned voices telling him things or seeing things that aren't there?

Even if he has a severe mental illness, you can only do so much. He has to get help. However, if my adult child had symptoms of schizophrenia, I would throw away the "you can do it yourself" rule and try to get him home and into a hospital. Medication and close outpatient therapy after the person is stablized is the only thing that helps schizophrenia or schizopaffective disorders. These are not drug addict symptoms. These are symptoms of somebody who may not know reality from fantasy. Yes, they can be mean, but it is because they feel you are against them, maybe poisining them with your vibes, etc.They also often use drugs to try to self-medicate, which does not help the issue at all. And, of course, if they 100% refuse to get help or to come home and let you take them for help, you can not legally force them to do so. Dumb law, in my opinion.

Are you sure he is not the way he is due to severe mental illness? I put that in a different category from those who deliberately fry their brains on drugs. In my opinion, they need a different sort of handling, no matter how old they are. I would help a 50 year old who was walking around the street, talking to herself. I'd probably call the police and tell them somebody seems to be lost and possibly sick and would not report them as criminal in any way. These are the homeless we hear about who are mentally ill without the right treatment, the 1/3 of those on the street who are not that aware of what they are doing, who may be paranoid and believe everyone is in a plot to get them because they have superior knowledge or powers. They are the sick menally ill, on the streets because we have shut down our hospitals that are supposed to help them get well (I'm not sure all of them did help, but at least they had a bed and meals and maybe electroshock therapy). So sad. I hurt for you and for him.
this is the situation I face. I let my son be homeless for a while and when i realized he has delusional disorder and was wanting to become a martyr for his grandeur ideas, I brought him home and am trying tp get him to trust me so that i can get him help. At the moment he does not see that he is delusional. he believes the delusions 100 %. However i like that I have saved his life by getting him out of extreme heat and am looking forward to hopefully getting him help. If this doesn't work I will have to figure out the next step. I have a therapist helping me. Last night he thanked me for listening to him. It is hard for me to advise anyone because I am lost and in pain and don't know what to do on a daily basis.

Same old thing going on with my son. Still homeless and broke, but has managed to leave Hawaii, somehow got to Tx, then Phoenix and now Ca. Do people still hop trains? All in a month. Have no clue. Everyday is full of angry, hurtful and delusional conversations. I usually don't answer when he calls. Says he is tired of sleeping on the streets, but just wants "assistance" from family. He still thinks the government, wi fi and internet are watching him and I think that is why he stays nowhere long. This situation seems to be getting worse everyday and rock bottom does not seem to be happening with him. Not sure how much more I can take.