Feeling Sad About difficult child

Bunny

We did not have a good day today. It started when he came home and demanded that he be allowed to eat all of the Sun Chips. I said he could have half of them and asked that he save the other half for easy child, since I had bought those chips for him. There were a lot of chips left, and I didn't think this was an unfair request. difficult child disagreed with me. It wasn't fair. He got home first and he wanted them and he should be allowed to have them. I held my ground, but told him that if he wanted to add some potato chips to the Sun Chips he could do that. After ranting about the Sun Chips for a while he finally said, "Fine!! But I'm having potato chips too!" Ummm...didn't I just tell him to do that?

Then two hours later he was screaming because I did not plan on cooking dinner tonight because he had an appointment with the therapist. Apparently, my not cooking was not what he planned on, despite being told before he left for school that it was going to be a "leftover night", and he felt that my reason for choosing not to cook, his therapist appointment, was not a good enough reason. "You're just lazy!! Why can't you just admit it?!" Screaming that he was refusing to eat anything until I got my lazy :censored2: off the couch and cook because if he made something for himself that would mean he would have to clean up after himself, and he didn't want to do that.

He eventually calmed down and said that I should have been proud of him that he didn't call me any nasty names or hit me. He apologized, but in all honesty his apologies don't mean a whole lot anymore. I've heard so many of them that they have completely lost their meaning. Then he started crying because he "felt bad" that he yelled at me. Can anyone say "crocodile tears"?

Then I was perusing Facebook and my neighbor posted pictures of her daughter being inducted into the National Junior Honor Society...something that difficult child refused to do a year ago because it required community service hours and participation in extra curricular activities. Even his old therapist was surprised. "Who turns down the honor society?", he asked. My difficult child, that's who!!

This past weekend I was feeling so proud of him. I was almost hopeful. I just think about what could have been. What I thought life would be like when he was born, and let me tell you, this ain't it!

Oh, and that therapist appointment difficult child was supposed to have? We missed it. I forgot that the appointment was for 4:30 pm this week, instead of our usual 5:30 pm. Just another one of my better mother moments.

IT1967

I'm so sorry you had a bad day. The feelings you describe are very similar to the gamut of emotions I feel sometimes with-my kids. Hoping you had a better day yesterday.

StressedM0mma

Bunny, I am so sorry about all that. I have been there done that. Not fun at all. Has he been on any other mood stabilizer? Abilify did wonders for difficult child while she was on it.

L

Liahona

The fact that difficult child is still living after screaming at you means that yes, that was a great mother moment!