Feeling Sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScentofCedar

This is a quote (Anne Rice) that helped me understand why I could not just turn my feelings off (detach): "Those we love are simply...those we love." Adding guilt to the mix because we are not able to respond in a way we haven't learned yet is not helpful.

That is my son out there, living the nightmare cycle of addiction and recovery and addiction ~ the self-same boy I birthed and celebrated and nursed and cherished.

It was impossible for me to accept his situation with equanimity.

Detaching is a tool.

It is a learned skill.

It takes time, and effort, and none of us gets it right every time.

I am not sure I like the term "codependent". Are the parents we see all around us, those whose children are successful and reflect so well on them ~ are these parents codependent when they tell us "so and so took his doctorate, or married a wonderful person, or is building a new home in our neighborhood"?

Or the ever-popular "Want to see pictures of the grandchildren?"

For parents like us, reviewing the situations our lives have presented us with is less a celebration than a challenge. Our children are not likely to have taken any doctorates lately, their mates tend to be as dysfunctional as the children are, themselves ~ and for them to be living anywhere near us would mean they were living in our houses WITH us.

And if WE have grandchildren, we are likely to be raising them ourselves.

But we can't just turn away from our adult children who are sick, or addicted or imprisoned.

Whatever has happened between our children and ourselves, we love them every bit as much as those so fortunate other parents whose children have just taken their doctorates.

Or...we wish we could love them that same way.

Naming the strength and commitment it takes to learn to balance our realities with our dreams and expectations for our children "codependent" smacks of brushing the pain we all live with, every day, under the nearest rug.

So, that's all I have to say about that, this morning.

There is true codependence. That is an illness having to do with locus of control. Loving someone whose life is a living nightmare ~ particularly if that someone is a child you have raised and cherished ~ I don't know. There should be another term for the skills we have all had to learn, to survive what has happened to our children.

For one, when was the last Mother's Day when any of us received a beautiful bouquet of roses from our successful, financially independent, happily married children?

That is a commonplace, for other parents.

Birthday cards, dinners out together with grown children appropriately dressed and healthy, grandchildren who have been to Disney World on their own parents' dimes ~ very few of us here on the site will ever know those pleasures.

Our children may never be altogether independent, financially or any other way.

Our children are frightened, sick, dirty, and poor.

They are, for the most part, uneducated.

Their prospects grow dimmer with each passing year.

And yet, somehow, we are supposed to accept that, call ourselves codependent (or worse) when we cannot accept what has happened to our families, and go on with our lives as though none of these things matter.

They do matter.

They matter very much.

We need to learn to function, to take joy in our lives, despite what has happened to our children and extended families.

Other parents are enabled to find joy IN their children.

So codependent is not a term I feel applies to us.

Warrior mom, yes.

Codependent ~especially as that term is used to describe a parent struggling to come to terms with the nightmare lives so many of our children are living ~ no.

Witz, I know you have had to learn to be stronger even than most of us ~ and that you had to learn quickly, almost between one breath and the next, how to survive what was happening to you.

I am very sure I would never have recovered at all, had I been presented with your situation.

Your advice is good advice, Witz. It will help Stands to survive what is happening to her son.

But it isn't helpful to berate us for not getting it. (It took me so long to understand too, Witz ~ you remember that, don't you?) As many times as I needed to come back here, right back into the same old soup everyone had just pulled me out of, you all were here for me.

And I made it.

Still a little shaky some days, but I did make it through.

Stands will too, Witz.

Your advice is good advice ~ it just comes across harshly because you expect others of us to be as strong as you had to be, as quickly as you had to be, to survive what happened in your family.

I never realized before what a blessing I had been given in that I had time to adjust to my situation.

You must be a very strong woman, Witz.

Barbara

ScentofCedar

I just wonder what we will do if they give him time served and probation - then he is on the street again - the ministryman said he would help all the could with finding him a place if he wanted it

I am trying to remove myself and just let it be - my husband says he is not going to think about it until something has been done and then he will decide what he will do next -

This is the best thing you can do, Stands.

That, and telling your son he cannot come home again because you will not help him service the addiction that is destroying him.

Tell him too, that you love him too much to watch him destroy himself.

Tell him the truth about what the problem is ~ addiction. However it happened, however much he needs pain medication for his teeth, he is addicted and so, cannot have it.

Just another thing the addiction has taken from him.

Use the tools you learned on the detachment site to detach, not from your child, but from the worrisome feelings, and from the tiredness.

When you become angry, you will feel less tired. When that happened to me, I was shocked at the depth of the rage I felt.

Shocked, and ashamed.

But all at once, all the energy I had been expending to keep those feelings from coming to the forefront was mine.

And once I had acknowledged the feelings, I found they weren't so overwhelming as I had been afraid they would be.

Knowing how I felt, I was able to function around the feelings, label them for what they were when they came up, and pick a time to feel them.

Prior to that, all my energy had gone into denying the feelings.

Wishing you well as you go through this part, Stands.

I know it is hard.

But if I could do this?

You can, too.

Barbara

Coookie

Stands,

I have been following your thread and sending silent support and hugs.

You worry and hurt because you are his mom. You try to protect and help because for years that is what we did when they were little...and for me it was a long process to unlearn that behavior now that my difficult child is an adult. It is a daily...long....process.

BUT... like any habit it can be undone and a new, hopefully healthier habit can be formed. I like to think that I am there now with my difficult child... although sometimes I find myself slipping back into the old worry, helping behavior (which really doesn't help at all), it is much easier to pull myself out.

What I have taught myself to do, besides working a lot is changing my thought patterns. When I feel myself going back into the OLD PATTERN I visually picture myself (in my minds eye) stepping back, saying a prayer and turning around. Knowing that the only thing I can do is offer my advice... the decisions are his to make along with the consequences or benefits.

I then get busy... doing something.... anything.

When my difficult child was UA from the Marines it was the hardest for me because there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I could do... but at the same time it was the best thing that could have happened for my mental health.

Instead of difficult children behavior being an extension, or reflection on husband and I, it was his own... HIS OWN... as I think your difficult children is too.

We will hurt, and cry, and worry when their choices lead them in directions that are not good. We are mom's, that is what we do... but I will not try to save him from his bad choices. It is impossible anyway. He was raised to know right from wrong. Like husband tells me... "We have done our job, the best we could. The direction his life takes now is up to him."

Just wanted to share what has worked for me. Not easy by any means but there is such freedom in letting go and to let go doesn't mean to stop loving, it means to keep yourself sane and to let you live your life.

The people on this site literally pulled me through some very rough times with my difficult child. The insights and wisdom I received here stays with me to this day... as does the care and love I felt.

Posting the steps to detachment and the letting go information from this site on my refrigerator has been very helpful to me also.

Sending gentle hugs to you.

Thanks so much!! Barbara as always amazing! You are such a good writer and it goes straight to my heart. I think I need the detachment web thing again. Coookie - I appreciate your honesty from your trials. I know it is hard. I am just feeling - I dont know what I am feeling! I just need to send hugs to you guys!

Estherfromjerusalem

Stands,

I'm following this thread, and I just wanted you to know that I am there for you and sending you a hug. I feel your anguish and appreciate your honesty. You seem to be growing stronger. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice but to grow with the experiences that our difficult children put us through. Stay strong!

Love, Esther

Susan,

I have to disagree with Barbara. There is a difference between "struggling to come to terms with the nightmare lives so many of our children are living" and being codependent. One can detach completely and still struggle with our kid's poor choices. Being codependent is an addiction to another person. That is what I believe you have.

Also, nobody is berating you for not "getting it". Nobody came on here and said "Hey Susan-just detach and you will be fine". We gave you suggestions on how to go about detaching. You came here and said "what can I do?" and we said "do this and this and that". We did not say "just get over it". We said "hey, you sound like you are depressed - why not go see your doctor?" We said "you know, you should go to AlAnon. Do you have a sponsor?" We said "do NOT give him Xanax because he is addicted to it". For MONTHS we gave you advice. And for months you said "yeah, thanks, but..." and did the exact opposite. You are not seeing berating; you are seeing frustration of you not even trying. I know you know the difference.

I get that Barbara feels bad for you because she went through the same plight. Don't think that any of us think you are in an easy spot. We all feel bad for you. Many of us have dealt with the same. I never was the parent in the situation, I was the child with the addiction. I faced jail. I LOST MY CHILD to my mother. I was homeless, carless, jobless. I lived in a forest preserve for a period of time. LIVED in it! Slept on picnic benches! I am trying to get across to you that the ONLY THING that worked was when my mom (on whom I was codependent because she enabled me) told me to get out and not come back until I was clean. I could have died. I SHOULD have died. But when I realized that mom meant business, I got help. ALL BY MYSELF. And I was only 19. That does not make me better than you or better than your son. It does not even make me stronger than you. It means that when the facts were there staring me right in the face, and I knew that mom was not going to bail me out anymore, then it was ALL up to me.

I don't think that Witz is trying to say that she is better or stronger than you either. Witz is not saying anything different than any of us are. She just leaves off the candy coating. It does come off as harsh because she is blunt. Many of us are becoming more blunt with you because we feel you need it. If we all came on here and just said "awww, poor Susan...well you are doing great, keep it up!", what would that do? You are asking for help and we are giving you help. We are showing you the tough love that you need to start showing your son.

It is OK that you worry what will happen to your son if he gets time served and is let out. I would be concerned if you DIDN'T worry. But it is NOT OK that it rules your life. You have a young son who needs you. More importantly, your mind must be an absolute whirlwind if you are constantly thinking and making yourself crazy over what to do to help him...AGAIN (AND, wondering what you could have done differently in the past). HE is not being fair to you, you get that don't you? And you are allowing it.

Broken down in steps, here it is:

~You need to detach from your son. You need to let him sink or swim WITHOUT any more help from you.
~What's done is done. You can't fix yesterday. You can only help make a better tomorrow.
~In order to detach, you will need help, because it is not easy. Keep going to AlAnon regularly. Work the steps. Do you have a sponsor? call her daily.
~That may not be all the help you need. DO go see your doctor. Get a medication change if you need to.
~DO NOT bring your son any more drugs (prescription or otherwise).
~Make yourself unavailable to him. Let him know (without leaving the door open in the slightest) that he is not coming back to your home. EVER. You don't have to add on that he can come back if he gets clean. You will know if he is getting clean, and at that point you can tell him that he is welcome home. If you give him a "you can come back IF you do this", he will manipulate you and you will allow it.
~Follow through. When you tell him that he can't come home, DON'T LET HIM HOME.

The detaching is not easy. Getting help first will make it easiER.

We ALL want to see you succeed. Nobody wants to see you hurting this way. But it is up to you. Nobody can do it for you.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Excellent post, BBK. "Codependent" is just a buzzword. It's a label. All I know is that when I read Melody Beattie's books (with that label), I see myself .. I see how I get wrapped up in my children's problems, and how they become my own if I do not practice detachment. Can parents of "good kids" be codepedent? Absolutely, if they are so caught up in their children's achivements that they lose themselves. It's not about the label, it's about the craziness that ensues when you YOUR happiness or sadness or emotion is dependent on ANOTHER PERSON's. If that person is an addict? Their addiction becomes your addiction, indirectly.

It is NOT easy by any means, to change that way of thinking. As mothers, we are supposed to want our children to be happy. It goes completely against our grain to not help our children when they are hurting. I grieve constantly for the child I lost .. lately my Oldest is more and more lost to me, I am afraid of what she has become ... but I cannot help her, I cannot make her decisions for her.

I'm asking again about a sponsor... many of us have brought it up and I've not seen a response.. I know you've been going to Al-Anon for a long time. Can you reply as to why you haven't gotten one? Maybe it's none of my business ... but I'd really like to know if you've even entertained the idea. I think it would really help you.

Yes I do have a sponsor and I call her frequently. She is great. Yes I do need your tough words because they help turn me around - I will make another thread because I am tired of this one - thanks so much

susiestar

Roll With It
Susan,

I think it is time you made a LIST of the steps you need to take to break your addiction to your 24yo.

I cannot help but wonder what your 17yo son is suffering due to your addiction to your oldest. When someone is an addict (and you are) everyone around them suffers.

Do your other children matter as much to you?? You certainly seem WAY over-involved with your oldest, and it has to take a toll on the other kids and on your husband. Maybe it is time to address this with the therapist AND with the kids??

Maybe facing the ways you ahve not been there for the other kids will help you see that your behaviors are simply not healthy.

Susie

witzend

Susan,

I think it is time you made a LIST of the steps you need to take to break your addiction to your 24yo.

I cannot help but wonder what your 17yo son is suffering due to your addiction to your oldest. When someone is an addict (and you are) everyone around them suffers.

Do your other children matter as much to you?? You certainly seem WAY over-involved with your oldest, and it has to take a toll on the other kids and on your husband. Maybe it is time to address this with the therapist AND with the kids??

Maybe facing the ways you ahve not been there for the other kids will help you see that your behaviors are simply not healthy.

Susie

There's two things I would say to this.

1) If your other son does matter as much, instead of worrying about him instead of difficult child, try enjoying easy child instead of worrying about him in place of difficult child.

2) What do you want for you? (The answer to this question can not include an action from or result for anyone but you.)

I think Starbie made a very interesting point about her mother in law and her ex. Since your difficult child doesn't have a wife or child, I see it more as you are stealing his adulthood from him. He doesn't need his mommy any more. And I'm totally with BBK's take on this. You can come to terms with your child's failings without it consuming your life and that of everyone around you.

N

Nomad

StandswithCourage...
I noticed a recent post where you felt this wasn't a "soft pace to land" and I can understand your conflict and I'm sorry.

There are many really good pieces of advice in these posts...said in varying ways. I do hope that you will find the helpful ones and take them into careful consideration. Some folks will get frustrated if you are slow to act on good advice. I do see that you are making efforts and this is a very good thing and wish you well with your efforts to get advice from the professionals in particular. I also feel that groups like Al-Anon are very important. You might consider participating as much as possible...keeping in close contact with your sponsor.

"Coming to terms" with your child's difficulties, finding your role in all of this, exploring changes and moving forward with your life is your task at hand. I agree with the others, that you need to remember that you can overly burden others with your difficulties. That is why you have a sponsor. That is why there are therapists out in the world. You need help in getting what you need to get accomplished and there is nothing wrong with this. Finding "help" with an emphasis on the word "help" is the key. I wish you well in getting the help you need....keep your "eyes on the prize..." and I think it has to do with your needs and not those of your son's.

As a side note:
It is disappointing for me to see when frustration turns to bitterness. It is disappointing for me to see unkindness towards a person in need. It is one thing to be honest (almost always a good thing) it is another thing to be inappropriate. There is an expression (will try to find it and make a correction later) that says something like...it is better to say nothing at all than to open your mouth and let people know your unkind or foolish thoughts.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Susan mentioned earlier that she wanted to start a new thread so I will lock this one in an effort to help everyone move on.

Thanks!
Suz

Status
Not open for further replies.