Female Pattern Baldness

M

ML

(((cubsgirl))) No you're not alone. PM me any time if you want to talk about this .. or anything else.

Mafiachelle, I used to love long relaxing showers at the end of the day until I started losing my hair. I try not to let it bother me but when too much hair falls out while shampooing, it gets to me every time... Sorry this happened to you too!

cubsgirl, It makes me so angry to hear about insensitive doctors like the one you saw! Wish you didn't have to be part of this group too!

While taking Finasteride isn't ideal (dangerous and shouldn't be taken by women who want or still can have children), so far I haven't had any negative side effects. My hair stylist thinks it might be helping - She felt "peach fuzz" on the top of my head two weeks ago when I had my hair cut. Wish I could feel it! She also thinks that some short hairs on the top of my head might be new growth because they're all about the same length. I thought they were just damaged/broken hairs. There aren't that many of them though so even if it is new growth, it isn't enough to make any sort of difference. I was feeling really positive after my appointment but not as much now. I've really lost lots more hair. Don't know if this makes sense but when my hair is wet, it's easy to sort of see through it. I've been told that it takes three months before there is any improvement - Still have three weeks left before the three month mark. Will let you know...

I'm just so grateful for all of you but sorry you're here at the same time! SFR

I've been taking Finasteride about three months now. The good news is that I haven't experienced any side effects and I don't think I'm losing as much hair after washing it. The hair that I do have seems to be growing faster than usual. The bad news is that the bald spots are still just as noticeable and if there is any "peach fuzz" like my hair stylist said she felt, I haven't noticed it. There appears to be a bit of new growth but it isn't enough to make any sort of difference. My hair is extremely thin, not just on top, although it's worse on top, but everywhere. Since I'm not experiencing any side effects, I'm going to continue taking it at least until the beginning of August, when I have another appointment scheduled with my dermatologist.

I'm doing better emotionally even though I know I have less hair than I did at this time last year. I'm not sure if it's because I have so many negative things happening in my life right now that I just don't have time to dwell on it, or because I'm truly learning to accept it and get on with life.

I'm amazed by the number of people who have read this thread and grateful to everyone who shared their experiences and provided suggestions/advice. Can't thank you enough for being here! I'll update again in August after I see my dermatologist. SFR

P.S. When I asked my hair stylist how she managed to make my hair look fuller, she said it's because she uses a large round brush when drying it. I didn't believe I had enough hair to wrap around my large brush but I dug it out and tried drying my hair in sections, wrapping it around the brush. While it doesn't come out anything like it does when she styles it, lol, it does look slightly better. Hope someone else finds this tip helpful.

N

Nomad

(((hugs))

A new scientific study revealed recently that the main ingredient in the dandruff shampoo NIzoral AD helped prevent hair loss.
After the study was published, it went flying off the shelves in my area and I could NOT buy it locally. I had to order it on-line.
I had some minor hair loss after some trauma recently and this seems to help me. NOT sure if that would be your case, but honestly, I think it might be worth a try. There is science behind it.

I'm using:
Nizoral Shampoo
A Variety of vitamins plus Biosil Tablets (vitamin you can get at Whole Foods)
and
Fermodyl (can be purchased at Sally's)

and knock on wood...getting results

Again, not sure if what I'm doing will work for everyone though. I too use a large round brush and it HELPS!

For me, it paid off to try different items.

Also agree to check into scarves, etc.

Nomad,

Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can find the published study about Nizoral AD? I would really like to read it. With scientific proof behind it, in my humble opinion, it's definitely worth a try!

I hope you're no longer experiencing problems with hair loss and NEVER have to go through it again! Trauma and stress can be the worst enemies for healthy hair! I think that while I eventually would have started losing hair, all the stress in my life may have accelerated the process. I like scarfs too and am getting more creative using my round brush and "comb-overs" to help hide super thin areas.

Thanks again! SFR

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
SFR, If you find the right hairdresser and stylist, he/she can show you how to do your wig so it doesn't look "wiggy" - I've been wearing a wig for about 18 years and I am always amazed at how surprised people are when I tell them my hair is a wig. I get compliments ALL THE TIME on my hair. I generally just say thank you and move on, but when it's a close friend I may tell them and when I do, like I said, they are very surprised. I've asked those who know at times, "Does my hair look wiggy today?" and every time the answer is no. My hairdresser taught me how to style it so it looks natural and another key is to go with styles/cuts that you have worn in the past and know look good on you. Some people go nuts and try out unnatural colors and styles and it screams "I'M WEARING A HAIRPIECE!!!" - lol.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I hope at some point you're able to better accept it and try things that will help you feel more like your old self. I would never give up my wigs.

N

Nomad

No. I saw an article about it in a magazine that reference it. One day, I googled for information, and saw a larger reference to it. There is absolutely no doubt about it, the routine I posted, IS getting results for me.

hearts&roses, I'm not at the point (yet) where I'm thinking about getting a wig. If I decide to get one in the future, you know I'll be asking you for all kinds of advice, help, etc.... I'm sorry that you have this problem too but happy because it sounds like you have fully accepted it and have moved on with life. Your response is so positive that I actually smiled when I read it! This is definitely a "first" for me!

Nomad, I'm really glad that you're getting positive results with your routine! I've tried other shampoos that are supposed to make my hair look thicker, etc. but nothing that has been proven to actually help stop hair loss. I'm going to buy some Nizoral AD if I can find it when I go to Target, Wal-Mart, later this week. Thanks!

N

Nomad

If you can swing it...try to get the BioSil tablets as well as the special shampoo. I'm convinced it is the combination that is doing it...a one/two punch. If you go to www.iherb.com and look up BioSil, you can read the reviews on the product. Many there have commented that it seems to have helped their hair and nails significantly.

Nomad, Thanks so much for the info! I'm definitely going to check out that site! I wasn't able to get the shampoo last week because I couldn't find it. I'm going to look for it again today or tomorrow. I think I'm also going to mention it to my dermatologist when I see her. I'll let you know what she has to say. Thanks again! SFR

MuM_of_OCD_kiddo

Wow - so much great advice!

I'd like to make a suggestion for those with longer hair, or - like in my case - having had short hair [not touching my shoulder and in the summer months we are talking 2-3" or less short] all of my life, but with a more sedate age and a looming double chin - was thinking to go with a longer hair style.

When my hair reaches shoulder length or close to - it will be falling out in masses. Not clumps - but the hairbrush needs frequent de-hairing, and when I run my fingers through the hair - I come away with 10 or more hairs each time. Definitely noticeable, scary and attention getting. Doesn't matter if I wear it loose or in an up-do hairstyle, long hair tends to shed out much more rapidly for me than short hair. Cutting it shorter again - it tends to stop within 1-2 weeks, and within 2 months the new hair regrowing is definitely adding volume to my head again. Hope this might help some of you with newly long[er] hair - I wonder due to the my having short hair all of my life, my scalp simply can't handle the weight of the longer hair.

Hair is one of my favorite hobbies, believe it or not. A few things I have read about:

MSM supplement ( but has to be taken with B complex)
silica supplement
get rid of sodium lauryl sulfate in all hair products
check thyroid levels, and if you are hypothyroid, and on synthroid, PM me.
also, some people have had success with monistat on head.....

Malika

Just wanted to say how wonderful it is to see a thread entitled Female Pattern Baldness by Otto von Bismarck... And now i have spoiled it :)

kudos4me2

Otto von Bismark, Sorry my PM will not work and I know you are very very busy but I would love your feed back on synthroid...had thyroid cancer so it thyroid is gone but having reactions to synthroid and it is AWFUL!! hair loss not so bad now but allergic reactions???
please message or write me! Thanks TONs!!!

Otto von Bismark, Sorry my PM will not work and I know you are very very busy but I would love your feed back on synthroid...had thyroid cancer so it thyroid is gone but having reactions to synthroid and it is AWFUL!! hair loss not so bad now but allergic reactions???
please message or write me! Thanks TONs!!!

I am so sorry I didn't see this! I have a lot of info about synthroid, but I do not want to be in a position to give you medical advice because, although I play one on TV, I am not a doctor.

First, personally, synthroid did not work for me, and made things worse. I tried for ten years on it and struggled with many hypo symptoms, including depression and slowed mental functioning, as well as debilitating fibromyalgia and heart rhythm problems. I found Stop the Thyroid Madness and got on natural thyroid replacement, through an MD who would actually listen to me and agreed that I needed natural T3 and T4, as well as certain supplements. When I found the STTM website (see above link) and found the forum Real Thyroid Help, I found many, many people who experienced the same things I did.

There is far more info that you can read on the STTM site than I could tell you. I have been on natural thyroid for a few years or so and all depression has lifted. My energy is back, my mind is back ( mostly - I still have word retrieval problems and a strange short term memory thing -- I can put something on the stove and walk away completely FORGET, as if my brain were erased, that I did it.) 97% FIBROMYALGIA PAIN GONE. When I mess with my thyroid dose ( forget two days in a row or something) it comes back somewhat. Also, my heart is like a metronome again. No problems whatsoever and I used to have a cardiologist and beta blockers. I feel better than I have in years.....lost a lot of muscle with fibro pain, and I am back to gym 5-6 days a week, doing serious weight training.

I will answer any questions you have.

Sheila

"Chronic Telegen Effluvium (hair loss due to never ending stress)" Wow! There's a name for it! Will research this.

I've fought this for a long time. It's very difficult to cover up these days -- I have a spot on the front left-side and back right-side that's awfully, awfully thin these days. I bought a wig, but it's a nusiance so I seldom wear it.

My hairdresser said to use Nioxin -- all 3 steps of it . Very expensive but it did help the rate of shedding and did help new regrowth some. Also, the condition of my hair is better now than it's been in years.

Another hairdresser said to try Biotin. I don't know if it's the Biotin or the use of both Biotin and Nioxin, but new growth is better than it was. She said it would take 5 - 6 months to work, but I got results in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Sheila,

When my original biopsy was done, it stated that it was either Chronic Telegen Effluvium or FPB/hereditary. The dermatologist who treated me before I moved in the summer of 2011, said it was FPB. When I moved, my dermatologist did some research for me and found a dermatologist specializing in hair loss in this area. After reviewing my records, examining me, my current dermatologist said he believes I originally had CTE and that the CTE triggered FPB. He said that if I hadn't had CTE, I probably never would have noticed the FPB because it would have occurred slowly and wouldn't have been noticeable for many more years.

Given all of the health issues I've developed while raising my difficult children, I think my current dermatologist is correct. Years ago I used to think that I could control the constant stress in my life, that it was just a psychological thing, that I could control it through exercise. Now I know better! While (for me) exercise can relieve psychological stress, it's scary how much physical damage it can cause that is totally out of our control.

I'm happy you're having success using the Nioxin and Biotin!! If you can, I would definitely add BioSil to the mix. Not only does it help with hair issues but it's great for nails too. SFR