Fentanyl withdrawal

Wendy23

Has anyone had an adult child detox from fentanyl at home. My adult son is wanting to come home and detox. He has been shooting fentanyl for a while now.

Thanks,

Copabanana

Dear Wendy I don't have any direct experience with this but I feel sure that medical supervision is required. There are physicians that specialize in addiction and withdrawal who might consent to supervise his withdrawal from fentanyl while your son was at your home. If it were me I would insist that a physician be involved to make a treatment plan and oversee it. I would be afraid.

BusynMember1

I think it requires medical supervision. I took it in a hospital, very low dose, with morphine after a bad car accident. Before I could be released they weaned me off of both. I felt very strange on the drugs and was glad to get off...I however don't know which drug caused the feelings or if both did.

We do not know how to help withdrawal...I wouldn't do it. I'd be afraid.

God bless you and your son.

Barbaro

Has anyone had an adult child detox from fentanyl at home. My adult son is wanting to come home and detox. He has been shooting fentanyl for a while now.

Thanks,
Is there a reason he doesn't want to go to a detox center? Sounds like this needs medical supervision.

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
I'm not an expert but my advice would definitely not do this at home without medical supervision. I know when my ex-husband tried going "cold-turkey" at home several times while trying to quit drinking he nearly died but refused to go get checked in. At that time, he ended up drinking again but eventually he found himself in rehab after rehab for detox and they told him it was very dangerous to do that and he could have died. It can affect your heart, you could have convulsions etc. It's important that they provide your son with something to take the edge off of his withdrawal. It can be too much and have serious consequences.

Best of luck.

JMom

Wendy,

I don't have experience, but I am sending prayers and so happy to hear that he wants to come off of it. Please keep us updated!
Hugs,
Jmom

Copabanana

He can be qualified for medicaid on site at the point of service. Most people on hard drugs are without insurance. There should be a social worker right there who will set him up. If you are in the United States call your local County Mental Health Department and ask for Alcohol and Drug Services.

bethg5210

Thanks,
I do not recommend it! I know that your instinct is to help him, but you have no idea what you're in for. I tried to help my son's father with this and it was horrifying!!! It is an extremely physical withdrawal. Meaning, lots of vomiting, convulsions, seizures, etc. Basically, unless you are mentally and physically strong enough, it's nearly impossible. I don't know where you live, but in the states you can go to your local social services office and get him on medicaid or some of the detox places will help him get on medicaid. I hope this helps!