Fighting the Mothers Day Doldrums with Baby Goat Pics

nerfherder

So what the heck. First we have Angel and her two new babies, Elf and Not Yet Named But Probably Wooch Which Is What You Get When A Six Year Old Girl Wants To Name A Goat.

angelmom.jpg

Next - well, it was a chilly morning. So all the kids slept in a big silly pile. Dancer's babies, the newest as of this morning (Angels were born sometime around 3pm) are pretty much right in the middle. The arrogant buckling staring at me is Ashes, named so because his knees are the color of cigarette ashes and... oh yeah, he was born on my friend Ashley's birthday. (His sister was our first stillbirth. :( )
puppypile.jpg

And last, Dancer and her babies. Dancer and Angel are Toggenberg/Boer crosses. Toggs are Swiss milking goats (Think "Heidi") but Dancer was the only one who got the Togg udder. It's like there's an udder, and oh by the way there's a goat attached to it. When her milk first came in it was... incredibly huge. Bucket sized. Her first day's milking, when the kids were only 3 days old and having trouble latching 'cause it was so big, gave us 44 ounces by weight. By volume, close to half a gallon. Right now we're getting about a quart a day 'cause the babies are drinking lots, and won't be eating grass/hay for another couple weeks. (They take a while to wean, but start eating solid food pretty quickly.) Once the babies are mostly weaned - only nursing for fun or comfort - we can expect around a gallon a day.

dancer.jpg

Dixies_fire

I love baby animals. We had kittens about this time last year. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Last year I instituted a new tradition that we would tye dye shirts for Mother's Day. I was pretty bummed that it didn't look like I was going to be able to afford to do it this year but we've sold some of our high dollar items at the garage sale that didn't sell over the Internet and it looks like we should be able to swing it.

I still want to go to the lake though.

Seems like lunacy that I want to do things which will cause me more work but these things are fun and make me feel good about being a mom.

Have fun with your baby goats!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Such cute babies.

There are times when I wish I didn't live in town. I would love to have a couple goats........... But I don't think they'd fly under the radar. lol