Figure This One Out....???

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by DaisyFace, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    As you all know - we have been begging and pleading for help for difficult child to anybody with ears for the past several years...

    Because difficult child has Medicaid, her MH treatment has been through County MH. She has been treated by County MH for the past three years. During this time, tdocs have seen her cutting, suicide threats, "kill lists", notes in which she writes about killing her family and others, disturbing drawings, etc etc. And because regular therapy does not seem to be accomplishing squat - we have begged and pleaded for further which County MH have assured us that they have done EVERYTHING they could possibly do and there is nothing more available.

    Now, difficult child has been assigned a caseworker through the state. Two weeks ago we had a meeting between caseworker, her regional manager, and therapist from County MH. At the meeting, therapist told RM that there was nothing more available from County MH. RM said state would help arrange Residential Treatment Center (RTC) if County MH made the referral.

    We left that meeting with nothing accomplished, but therapist seemed to have a plan to get difficult child referred to Residential Treatment Center (RTC)....

    Yesterday, difficult child has her regular appointment with therapist. therapist pulls me aside to tell me that Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is completely off the table because difficult child's diagnosis is "behavioral" and not a "mental illness". IOW - since difficult child does not have Schizophrenia or a condition in which she is completely out of touch with reality....County MH cannot make a referral to Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

    But guess what? County MH does have a wonderful program available that they've had TONS of success with and it's perfect for difficult child. They can have a behavioral specialist come out to the house 10 hours a week and teach us some parenting skills that will help get difficult child's behaviors under control.

    therapist even suggested that since County MH will be providing that service - we can have the state "close" our case...


    I feel as though we have just stepped into a new level of the Twilight Zone...

    Where has this "wonderful program" been these last few years?

    Why is County MH interested in having the state close our case?

    Since when is the only diagnosis eligible for Residential Treatment Center (RTC) schizophrenia?

    I think there was some kind of meeting without husband or I present and some things were "decided" by County MH. It makes me wonder if therapist was actually reprimanded for recommending Residential Treatment Center (RTC) ? I wonder if this new thing is just to get husband and I "off their backs" ?
  2. nvts

    nvts Active Member

    Time to get an advocate or attorney involved here. There's something afoot here in the wonderful world of mental health...If you want, pm me your city and state and I'll dig around and see if I can find some direction to point you in.

    I'm sorry they're pulling this. I think a phone call to the person that you met from the State might be in line here.

  3. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    Behavioral, hmm???

    I'm starting to feel like I'm right there with ya in the Twilight Zone. Behavioral. Um. So essentially what they are saying is there's nothing wrong with her that a good spanking won't cure?!

    COME ON!!!

    And FWIW - I didn't realize that schizophrenia and MPD were separate, distinct and NOT NECESSARILY the same thing - and I only found the difference because I was trying to explain to my Mom - I don't think the ONLY diagnosis for Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is schizophrenia, 'cause if it is??? There are a LOT of people who don't know anything about their kids.


    Hugs - 'cause I'm confused too. Alternate reality...
  4. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    Yes - I am definitely perceiving that "alternate reality"...

    I guess that makes me eligible for Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

    (LOL! I'm sure I'll be eligible for commitment one day....regardless.)
  5. cubsgirl

    cubsgirl Well-Known Member

    I'm so sorry - it really sounds like they are giving you the run-around and trying to save $$ at the expense of your family and safety.

    You're right to be suspicious of this wonderful program that you never heard of before. I have no wise advice, just ((hugs))
  6. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    I'd be asking for more info in writing. ow long has this program been available? What exactly does it involve?

    i would also make telephone enquiries using a false name, from someone else's phone, about entry requirements for County Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

    Take notes. minute everything. send emails confirming what is discussed and asking for clarification.

    Kick rear ends.

  7. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Well I just did some interesting reading and according to the DSM IV, disruptive behavior disorder IS listed in there as a mental illness. It even has an ICD code. 312.9 to be exact.

    I would think it would be even harder to find a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that treats childhood onset schizophrenia than other childhood mental health issues because early onset schiz is so rare. SC must be on the cutting edge of

    Personally, I dont think they have the correct diagnosis's for your dtr anyway. I would go with the emerging borderline but I think there is probably some very distorted thought processes going on in there too and her reality testing is in good shape either. Schizoaffective wouldnt surprise me at all. Have you considered a temporary move to NC for a short stay?
  8. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

    If memory serves (correct me if I'm wrong) schizophrenia is degenerative brain disorder (something physically wrong in the brain) that usually shows up in the teens or early 20s but presents like a mental disorder.
  9. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not


    I think this is all a bunch of hoo-ey....I don't think diagnosis has anything to do with it - it's just become their new "official statement"....and one that I am not supposed to be able to fight because difficult child does NOT have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia.

    We have relatives in NC - I've thought many times about "running away" to NC....but moving on a temporary basis would be tough. husband is going to be starting a new job soon. We have two very clingy dogs. Finances are always tight. etc etc It's all those little "details"...
  10. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Well, my guess is that you can just prepare yourself for a behavioral contract war. At least I haven't heard of any of those behavioral specialist that do inhome use any other method on an adolscent or teen. And if her behavior includes breaking the law, they possibly have already decided to recommend the juvy route instead of the MH/Residential Treatment Center (RTC) route. Did you ask therapist what if- on the slim chance that this doesn't "fix" her- what is Plan B?
  11. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    The best specialists we have worked with are those that admit that current medical science doesn't know how to 'fix' kids like ours. They offer different things to try with the hope that one or more will help somewhat.

    The worst are those that change the diagnosis and blame the parents, etc....sorry like it sounds you have some of the bad ones.
  12. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member have relatives here? Could she be shipped by Fedex? LOL. I know a pretty good girls home about 10 miles from me...and another one about 30 miles from me! Stop me now before I offer to take her on...lmao.