Filing for guardianship?

Ugh...we are in recess but have to go back in soon. I had to send my husband downtown to make copies!!! Why didn't I make copies!!!!! They are lieing & I have the proof but now I have to hope he gets back in time with the proof & the copies!! Oh please pray hard!!!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow, that seems very important. A CPS social worker went to court with me and I think her speaking up during the process was very helpful. Still praying here for you Loverwhelmed!!!

We got the temporary guardianship!! We have to back on April 2nd. Not sure what to expect though. Thanks so much for all the support & prayers. If anyone knows what we're supposed to do now we're all ears!

DoneDad

We got the temporary guardianship!! We have to back on April 2nd. Not sure what to expect though. Thanks so much for all the support & prayers. If anyone knows what we're supposed to do now we're all ears!

GREAT NEWS!

When you have time can you tell more about the process?

PatriotsGirl

Oh I am so happy!!!!! Let's hope this is a wake up call for the parents but most importantly of all is that baby will be in a safe, loving environment!!! :)

recoveringenabler

Staff member
This is very good news. I am happy for you and the baby.

There is more work for you to do now that you've made this first important hurdle, in getting the permanent guardianship handled.

Is there someone in the CPS office you know and can talk to? I had an advocate who was a social worker there who helped me a lot. If you were given a CPS recommendation for temporary guardianship, then someone in that office has a file on your daughter.

Do you know where the baby is so you can get him? If it were me, I would contact CPS and find out who has your case and ask them what happens next.

I recall having to go to court a couple of times. After I was awarded temporary guardianship, I did all the paperwork for permanent guardianship. Your daughter will be called in to court as well. Permanent guardianship papers are a little more complex, you have to serve your daughter and anyone else who has an interest in the child, the other grandparents, siblings, etc.

That organization I told you about, Grandparents Parenting Again, helped me with the paperwork. I don't know what county you're in, but you might give them a call and find out if they can give you options in the country you live in.

You're on your way now, Loverwhelmed. You did a good job. I know how hard it is to have to do all the paperwork while you're so concerned about the baby as well as your daughter. Just take it one step at a time. You'll get through it all. We're here for you.

Celebrate this victory today. Take some deep breaths and remember to take care of yourself during this entire process. It can be exhausting, so nourish yourself.

PatriotsGirl

We didn't go for permanent because we do not feel a need, yet. We will retain temporary until such a time that we feel she is ready to be the mother he deserves and she is working on it!
Do you have the baby physically, yet?

We got her today at 2pm. I'm not sure what all to do now. We do have to serve the family members. The parents were served in court. So it's just a mail thing. The permanent hearing is only in a month. I'm not sure what they expect to have changed in that short a time. I don't know what to expect from the next hearing. I know CPS or some investigator has to make contact with us & check us out. Other than that am I supposed to bring in people to vouch for us? I'm kind of unclear. But we are so happy to have our granddaughter &; still so deeply sad for our daughter. I can't imagine her pain. I hope she will see this is the right thing & do what's necessary to get back & raise this beautiful baby. They had to postpone the felony hearing til 3/26. I'm sure neither one of them were in a stable way to move forward on that. Thank you all so much for your support. I will continue to pray for all of you too! I know this is only the start of a long process...

2much2recover

I can't imagine her pain. I hope she will see this is the right thing & do what's necessary to get back & raise this beautiful baby. They had to postpone the felony hearing til 3/26. I'm sure neither one of them were in a stable way to move forward on that.
Congratulations on guardianship and giving your granddaughter a safe home.
I posted the quote above, because while your daughter may be quite upset now, I don't think she really understands how to treat or care for a baby. Also remember part of your daughters loss is a huge manipulation tool (using the baby and peoples feelings for the baby). And they lose the state money they were receiving to "care" for this child. The baby was living in horrid conditions or you wouldn't have gotten guardianship. If they "cared" it never would have come to this situation. I think they care, but due to addiction and disorders they are not capable of taking care of a baby. Don't forget, now that they have a guardian for their baby, they may actually have to do time for that felony they committed.

Again I am so happy to hear you received guardianship over your granddaughter. I am also with you on the hope that your daughter does change but I am glad that it is in a forced and supervised way under CPS. Never again will she (they) have the opportunity to put your granddaughter in harm's way again.

stressedmama

I stopped getting the updates on this string so I'm a little late to the game here but I am so happy for you and your grandchild!

Any update on how the felony hearing went? Hate to see your daughter go to jail - hoping for rehab, but either way, with them out of the picture, it should make the perm guardianship a breeze.

Hugs ad prayers!

Thank you all so much! They postponed the felony hearing til 3/26 probably because my daughter was not coherent. I'm so sad for my daughter but hopefully this will be rock bottom. Our granddaughter is remarkably happy maybe because she remembers but possibly because she had to adapt to the so much change so often. Either way I'm glad this transition hasn't been too difficult "yet"! This is not over we have to go back on April 2nd. Not sure what to expect but I hope you will all keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I know I pray foe all of us on this site & those who haven't found it yet! Thanks so much for the support!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I am so happy for you loverwhelmed, so glad you have the baby. Sorry, I thought you had a grandson (oops).

I know how you feel about your daughter, it is sad. I felt so bad for my daughter too, I empathized so much with what that would feel like, but in reality, I'm not sure my daughter really felt that way, in some ways, perhaps in her deepest heart, she knew her daughter was in good hands with me and she could let go. Substance abuse and/or mental illness have a hold of their brains in ways we can't understand.

It's up to your daughter to handle her life, the baby is safe with your now. You did a really wonderful thing in taking your granddaughter. Take it from me, it isn't easy, but it is very satisfying to know you are offering that little tyke a safe and loving home. I applaud all your efforts. My granddaughter is in her first year of college now, getting herself ready for her Sophomore year with 8 other kids who've rented a house! She is blossoming and happy and healthy, which is why we make these kinds of choices.

Many hugs to you loverwhelmed. Celebrate with that little munchkin today.