Final Grades!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can someone who knows how to do this type of math please answer this for me?

I had an average of 81 in pharm going into the exam. I got an 89 percent on the exam, which counts as 35 percent of the grade. Yet my final grade was an 84??? That just doesn't sound right but I have no clue how to do the math to check it.

I got a 97 on the medication surg exam.

I got a 76 on my fundamentals exam but that didn't surprise me as I didn't have much time to study for it with bff's funeral and such.

So I'm in for next quarter. :D

DammitJanet

Well I think she did a weighted average from as far as my mind can tell. I stared at it and did this. 65% = 81 + 35% = 89 = final grade of average of 84.

Weighted average. 81+81+89=251/3=83.66667

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG...I just did MATH!

:rofl:

But the 81 was my grade Before the final...........my final exam grade was an 89. So wouldn't it be the 89 + 35 percent or something like that?? I'm confused. This formula has always baffled me. lol

trinityroyal

Yup. The math works out.

The calculations work as follows:

Part 1: term mark, 81%

Since your term mark is worth 65% of your overall mark in the course, it is worth 65 points.
So, you calculate 81% of 65, which works out to 52.65.
So the first part of your course mark is 52.65 out of 65.

Part 2: exam mark, 89%

Since your exam mark is worth 35% of your overall course mark, it is worth 35 points.
So, you calculate 89% of 35, which works out to 31.15
So, the second part of your mark is 31.15 out of 35.

Then you add the pieces together.
65 + 35 = 100
52.65 + 31.15 = 83.80, which rounds up to 84.

So, you got 84 out of 100.

Congratulations Lisa! You did so well, and I'm very proud of you.

Trinity

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks to you both for doing the math. And Trinity thanks for explainng it to me. I couldn't do this math before the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and after it......my brain looks at it and goes huh? lol

I worked my fanny off for that pharm grade and I'm proud of it.

Sadly we've already heard of one student who has failed. I haven't heard from any of the others who were on the line.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Its right, but I can't think of any way to explain it that's not dumb.

Janet's explanation, tho, is very close. 35% is slightly more than 1/3 of your grade, so her idea is very close.

But if you want my dumb explanation, let me know.

DammitJanet

Well I almost got it right. I knew it was something like that but I just couldnt pull that it exact formula out of my head. I knew it was a formula I sat and stared at this piece of paper where I had...81 % of 65 and 89% of 35...dang what to do, what to do. Then I added them up and it came up so darned close...I said...well...thats it! Weighted average!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG!!!

I just checked the stats for the final grade!

An 89 was the HIGHEST grade on the final. And only 1 person got a 89!

ME!

:faint:

I don't believe it.

And sadly, we've lost 2 more students who were on the line :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL gvcmom, I'm glad you knew I was a Miss Pharmy pants, cuz I sure didn't know it! I didn't start catching on until fairly late into the quarter. Now I *think* I've finally figured out how to study pharm.

3 S, graduation is in end of August or beginning of Sept. Not sure when exactly because I don't know when that quarter actually ends. But I've still got one more faily hard quarter to get through. 4th quarter is supposed to be a breeze compared to the 1st 3. It's mostly clinicals with review for the Nclux exam.