Finally figured it Out!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I promised to make a larger cross stitched project for Jessie. We went through my "stash" of cross stitch magazines and patterns. She found a mermaid pattern in a British cross stitch mag. It is truly beautiful and will be fun to stitch. I even have real pearls to stitch into the bottom of the sea (got them on eBay very inexpensively - less than buying the ones recommended in the pattern!).

I have spent almost 2 weeks tearing my hair out though. The floss numbers on the pattern have no relationship to any floss I can find. It says they are for Anchor and DMC, but no way I can find these colors in any floss list or chart! Even my chart that has all the DMC floss colors and samples of them has no thread with the numbers listed.

I posted on a stitcher's website asking for help. And got a link to a site that let me figure out the colors and numbers to use in DMC (which I have almost every color of!). So now I can start stitching.

It took 3 hours to figure out the right colors! But it will be worth it - this is a mermaid with bright colors, the face is done in stitches half the size of the reg stitches, it has lots of threads with different textures and lots of beads of all different kinds!

So now you all know what I will be doing tonight - getting this project all set up!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Huh??? Greek to me as well. I am thinking of trying to teach myself to knit! I come from a Home-Eccey Challenged Family. What is this sewing? So said my Mom.
Please post a picture when it is done!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
MERMAID????????? PEARLS!??????

sounds georgeous.

Anytime you need me to make a craft run let me know........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wish that was all Greek to me. lol But it's not. mother in law tried to get me interested in cross stitching. And I did a couple of projects......But then decided that 1. I do not have the patience for it, and 2. it makes me cross-eyed. :) So that was the end of that. lol I'll stick to beading, knitting, and crochet.

Good luck on the project. You'll have to post a picture when it's done. I've love to see it. :)

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
This is one that will deserve a picture. And I may put it in the county fair come Sept. I think it will be very worthy, esp after I modify it to fit Jessie's personality.

I know this is Greek to many, but I appreciate the positive comments. Jessie is SO excited, she was afraid I would not be able to figure out the right threads and wouldn't be able to do it. But I am!

I LOVE to add real pearls, gold charms, etc... to things I stitch. I look at the charms suggested by the maker and often they are very expensive for gold painted plastic or for pewter. I have found many real gold crosses, etc.... at affordable prices at WalMart and at estate sales. I would rather pay $13 for a small gold cross than pay $10 for a gold colored plastic cross, Know what I mean??? So the wedding samplers I have done have real crosses or hearts, and the sampler I did for my niece has a real gold heart on it.

I just get so much satisfaction out of cross stitching projects. Not sure why.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate them muchly!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Be sure to keep a chart of the actual colors/numbers/brand that you used...... I bet others will want to know and it may help in translating other designs that you come across....... How old was the British magazine? Send a picture once you finish would love to see it completed!