Finally had our psychologist appointment but...

rachelfran

We took our son in to see a psychologist finally but wouldn't you know that difficult child had a tummy ache and was doubled over in pain.... we actually had to leave the psychiatric. and go to the E.R. (around the corner) where while waiting he threw up... He felt much better after that so we went to our regular pediatrician. who thinks it could be gas and a lactose intolerance that caused the pain....

We only had a brief time with the psychiatric who was taking lots of notes and lots of "is he usually like this" to which the answer was no, of course, since he was doubled over in pain.

He did give us each a copy of Conners' Parent Rating Scale (short form) and asked us to fill it out.. He's leaving for a conference and a vacation so our next meeting won't be until September 5th.

I think this form is used to help diagnose ADD or ADHD (?) which I don't really think he has.

I'm disappointed that we have to wait until September 5th to see him again... Max's anxiety over the concept of midnight is making it difficult for him to fall asleep at night.

Thanks, as always - for listening.

TerryJ2

Oh, I am so sorry. What a disappointment for you, and such discomfort for difficult child. It does seem like Sept. is so far away when you need something right away.
We've done the Connor's Scale ... it helps to have a teacher do it, too, because you may see different behaviors at home.
Our son is ADHD, no Q about it.
Good luck!

rachelfran

my son has an obsession with midnight... daily he want's to know "how many minutes till midnight" .... it's mentally exhausting to keep calculating it (lol) and if you don't come up wiht a figure quickly enough he gets angry...

this psychologist is a friend of my brothers and a leader in his field here.. he's seeing us as a favor so I'd like to continue seeing him - though I'm considering calling our pediatrician and getting a referral to a neurologist for testing but wonder if that would be going behind the psychologists back and I should wait for his suggestions...

We're new to this ...

Rachel

Sheila

Oh, geez... but poor little one. Glad he's feeling better.

"How many minutes is it to???" was a favorite expression of my son's when he was younger. Brought back some sweet memories (and some not so sweet minutes lol).

difficult child used to get zeroed in on something and there was no distracting or redirecting him. I call it Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies; the pros call is perseveration.

Definitions of perseveration on the Web:

Persistent repetition of an activity, word, phrase, or movement, such as tapping, wiping, and picking.
http://www.alz.org/Resources/Glossary.asp

the tendency for a memory or idea to persist or recur without any apparent stimulus for it
perseverance: the act of persisting or persevering; continuing or repeating behavior; "his perseveration continued to the point where it was no longer appropriate"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn