Finally heard from neuropsychologist

crazymama30

I finally heard from neurpsych. After about 3 or 4 weeks of calling the poor intake guy weekly (my message Monday said that if this is Mr Intake Man, you don't have to call me but if you could remind them that I want to get this set up before the school year next year and I know they are booked.........) she called me yesterday. I have an intake appointment on June 28th, and then after that we will do the testing.

There is some of the testing that they cannot do as the school did it a few months ago, but she said there were some different tests they could do to get new results. I asked her about her experience, and she said she has been doing testing for 3 years or so and did her training with the old neuropsychologist at the practice, even though she said her voice sounds like she is 12. I said that was not why I was asking, I ask anyone who is going to be seeing my kids that question. When she said the first appointment would be with just me, I said good. I like to meet people before they see my kids.

So we will see what comes of it. difficult child son has so many traits from so many disorders that it is hard to tell what is going on. He is increasingly inflexible. If he wants to do something and I say no, he says I am not listening to him. He will do and say anything to get friends, but cannot follow through on it and then it makes things worse. He HAS to be tucked in at night or he goes to tears and cannot sleep. He did let his dad do this the other night when I was gone, after sobbing for a half hour or so. He is so explosive in the morning that I take him a bagel in bed so I don't have to deal with having him out in the rest of the house. I know that is starting a bad habit, but otherwise difficult child dtr and I just cannot deal with him. He blames the dogs for tripping him, getting in his way, etc etc. I have tried explaining to him that they are dogs, they are not doing this on purpose.

My biggest fear? Is that they are going to want to do a medication wash. I am not against this and part of me thinks it could be good, but I would like to try to do it at home (the nearest child psychiatric hospitals are 4 hrs away) and I don't think he would do well with that. So it would mean me being off work the whole time to run interference and that sounds exhausting. husband just does not have the patience to deal with it, and I will not leave it to anyone else in the house. difficult child son is on so many medications, it might really be a good idea but it just scares me at the same time.

BusynMember

No neuropsychologist I've used had advised on drugs. That's not his field.

I don't think you have to worry. Hugs and prayers and good luck :)

DDD

I have never heard of a medication wash for N/P exams. Don't worry too much about it because it is highly unlikely. on the other hand, I do understand worries and concerns when dealing with the unknown. That's part of being a Warrior Mom. Hugs. DDD

wintak

that's not actually a bad idea...give difficult child bfast in his room so the rest of the family can function.

Hope everything goes well

crazymama30

I am not worried about a medication wash before the neurppsych, I am worried that will be the suggestion afterward. difficult child has been on medications over 5yrs. How do we really know what his true behaviors look like now?

TerryJ2

Good question. When we had ours done, we took difficult child off his medications, but he wasn't on that many back then.

Still, some behaviors look the same on and off drugs. I'm thinking that the inflexibility/rigid thinking is the real difficult child. If you think he's ADHD for sure, don't bother taking him off of those medications because he may not be able to go through the testing, Know what I mean?? Afterward ... worry about it afterward. :)

by the way, my son gets mad at the dogs for tripping him, too ... even though one is blind and the other one is still a wild puppy. been there done that.