Finally met with the TX Children's Psychiatry Dept

MyGoosesMom

Hi there.
Just met with the Texas Children's Hospital (TCH) psychiatry department yesterday. The 3-hour intake meeting is mentally and emotionally exhausting. I feel like I have relived the last 3 1/2 years and I would love to be able to sleep off the feelings it has dredged up.
The visit was nice and thorough. There were 2 docs...as this is a teaching hospital, we were first seen by a Fellow and observed by a Resident. It was the first time a doctor truly talked to Elliott and wanted to know what he was feeling and what was happening and how was he doing, etc. etc. It was awesome!
The Dr. spoke to both of us together, just me, and then just Elliott. It was nice to be listened to...not just asked what we wanted done and handed a prescription.
The Fellow was also concerned about my mental health and wanted to make sure I was handling things OK. I haven't taken my son to a Psychiatrist or Psychologist EVER that cared about me.
Then Dr. Moreland came in with the Fellow, the Resident, and another doctor. They were so nice to me and I felt so validated!
I have been arguing with the district saying that my son fell under the 504 protocol and deserved the accomdations we were asking for...and the doctors agreed.
Elliott falls under IDEA...and the doctors immediately sent me back to Elliott's schools with a Request for School Accommodations/Behavior Intervention Plan and have also requested that they rule out learning disabilities due to family history.
Because of his tick, developed on the Adderall, we have been switched to Focalin XR. He started on the 5mg today and will go up to 10mg on Saturday. I don't know much about the drug and I am beginning my research...
We have been put on the list for the Family STARS program (Skills Traiing for AD/HD Related Symptoms). My husband is freaking out because he HATES counseling. He will just have to deal with it. The program will have something for the kids (and will include Elliott's brother) and something separate for the parents.
I am waiting for the Dr. to inform me about individual therapy for Elliott and where that will take place.
He agrees with the ADHD designation, and reinforced our opinion that it is an inattentiveness issue, not hyperactivity. He agrees with the ODD, and is looking at the possibility of some anxiety issues.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my news and hope you are all having a good day.
Sarah

smallworld

Sarah, glad the appointment went well. My son, who has tic disorder and inattentive ADHD, has been on Focalin XR for a while. For him, it has been the least likely of the stimulants he's tried to exacerbate his tics. Hope it works well for your difficult child, too.

Marguerite

Sarah, I'm glad you finally found the help you've been looking for. Armed with their support, it's time to kick rear ends at the school level to get the support your son should have been getting. Good luck!

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyGoosesMom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there.
I haven't taken my son to a Psychiatrist or Psychologist EVER that cared about me.
Then Dr. Moreland came in with the Fellow, the Resident, and another doctor. They were so nice to me and I felt so validated!
</div></div>

When we switched to difficult child's current counselor, during one of the first few visits, he asked how husband and I were doing and commented on how hard it must be to live the way we do. I about bawled and fell out of my chair. I've NEVER had anyone say anything like that either. It was soooooo nice! Glad you got to experience that type of caring!!!

Also glad to hear that things went so well. Hopefully the school will fall in line now that you have this. Good luck with everything!

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I'm with mustang. Any time someone actually cared enough to mention how hard our lives were, the waterworks just started.

I'm glad you had a positive visit and a plan. It's the first step to helping your little guy.</span>

oceans

That is wonderful that you had such a positive appointment! I hope the Focalin does a good job and that the school will finally give you what you need and deserve!

Stella Johnson

That is awesome! :bravo: So glad to hear you had a good experience there. The Children's hospital where we are was the best thing I ever did for my difficult child. They were just like you explained in your post. It helped my difficult child so much.

They do alot of family counseling. Parentine styles have to be reinforced. At first I thought it was all #$%% myself but after going through it, it really helped. It was nice to have someone really listen for a change and not just write an rx.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Steph

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #330033"> THIS is exactly why teaching hospitals are so good. the interns/residents/fellows are much more inclinded to a. take the time to get a complete picture, b. be concerned about other family members, & c. willing to try new things. the attendings are more thorough simply because they are teaching.

husband is just going to have to man~up (i love that expression lol) & do what they as him to do.

glad things went so well.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Loris

I am so glad you have a team on your side. That does make what we deal with so much easier to handle with our difficult children. I am thrilled for all of you.