Finally starting the IEP process

D

DeAnna

Well we have been dealing with our school for about 1 1/2 years, trying to figure out why our son is having so much trouble in school yet we do not see these issues at home.

I made some phone calls last week and got a couple of extra people involved. I called the Special Education coordinator for our school and asked them to attend the meeting, also I called our local disibilities advocate association and they sent someone as well.

What a difference. Prior to this meeting I have voiced wanting to begin the IEP process and it basically fell on deaf ears. My husband and I would leave the "team" meetings feeling like the only thing that was accomplished was that we were terrible parents and that he is a terrible child.

I now have an appointment with a psychiatrist, and the school is willing to pay for this evaluation. Then the school is going to be doing some different testing on my son to see what types of programs and help he will qualify for.

What a relief, we left the meeting with a feeling that maybe we can finally figure out what is going on.

T

TeDo

That is awesome. When working with the schools, it makes a big difference when you have someone with you that knows the system and knows about disabilities. I have recently had to do the same thing. Getting an IEP was a struggle 3 years ago. Now the current IEP isn't working so we need to go back to square one. It took having an advocate in SpEd rights to get them to do try some of the things I had been suggesting for some time now. Until then, they implied the same things you were getting, I am a bad parent and difficult child was a willfully disobedient child that "needs to be taught who's in charge". I am glad things are looking up for you. The testing they do is very thorough and covers most everything you can imagine. Hang in there and keep us posted.