FINALLY the psychiatrist saw what I see all the time in husband!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The difficult child's had their quarterly check-in with the psychiatrist yesterday. When he was finished chatting with the boys, he excused them from the room so he could ask me how husband was doing since he added Lamictal to the mix. After I told him things were going much better, that husband is participating in family activities more, being more productive here at home, much less negative and coping with life much better overall, the psychiatrist told me how husband was VERY hypomanic at his last appointment (pre-Lamictal). His speech was fast, pressured and he was very intrusive -- sitting too close to strangers in the waiting room and striking up conversations even though anyone could see they didn't want to be bothered. psychiatrist actually seemed surprised to have seen him this way, and it was all I could do to keep from laughing. He also said husband had absolutely NO idea, NO awareness of his own behavior. Yep, welcome to my world!

I also let psychiatrist know that husband's neuro (who really doesn't seem to see the psychiatric piece of husband's picture) was making noises about taking husband off Trileptal since she didn't think he needed TWO AE's to control his seizures. psychiatrist said that the Trileptal was likely helping the manic piece (though not as effectively alone as when combined with Lamictal) and he told me to caution husband about making any medication changes without talking to psychiatrist first. So I sent husband a text when he asked how the boys' appointment went, and told him that psychiatrist would have to adjust Lamictal dose if he wanted to change the Trileptal at all.

I still don't understand why the psychiatrist doesn't just come right out and tell husband that he's cyclothymic. Maybe he's intimidated by him. Maybe he doesn't think husband is receptive to that info yet. I flat out told husband on our NOLA trip that the last superbill stated he was cyclothymic, but he didn't know what that meant. And when I explained it, he dismissed it as not possible. :rofl: Whatever. I guess it doesn't matter what he thinks, as long as he keeps taking his medications and going to his appointments!

TerryJ2

I guess it doesn't matter what he thinks, as long as he keeps taking his medications and going to his appointments! Okie dokey, if you're happy, then I'm happy! Good for husband, anyway, for taking the medications. I don't understand why he's taking them unless he thinks they're all for seizures. I'm just concerned that he'll quit taking them once he "feels better." You know how that goes. In the meantime, Way To Go, psychiatrist!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I see that everyone ELSES' needs are being met here ------

Kids get appointments
husband gets appointments, medications, and observations -

BUT as per usual - Poor old Mom back to fighting for people to keep their abnormally large noses out of what is WORKING in her life. UGH. Tell old adjustamed to come live your life for one day.

HUGS

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Terry, he believes that Trileptal is for his seizures (per neuro who rx'd them), and that Lamictal replaced Paxil which psychiatrist told husband was not working the way it should for him, and since he was still having seizures on Trileptal, it could help both the seizure issues and his depression. At least that's the story husband is sticking with. Like I said, i don't care if he thinks it's going to make him invisible, as long as he keeps on the medications.

Star, the neuro really is clueless about a lot more than you'd expect someone with a degree in BRAIN function would be. But I'm not about to start going to his appointments with him again.

TerryJ2

Oh, dear. I wonder what the deal is with-the neuro. But I think you're right to stay home. Way too frustrating.