Fingers crossed for a school possibility ...

TerryJ2

husband came up with-an idea to send difficult child to a local public HS but in a different neighborhood. On top of it, it is a magnet school for arts, English and communication, and difficult child has been recommended for advanced placement English. We are going to suggest to the judge when we go to court next week that difficult child be transferred to that school instead of the one in which we are zoned, because of the fear of retribution from the druggies difficult child snitched on.
I have emailed the middle school guidance counselor to get a copy of the advanced placement paperwork. I hope she checks her email in the summer.
This is separate from the other items I am working on.
Fingers crossed! This would save us a lot of money, and would give difficult child the opportunity to be mainstreamed, but away from the deadbeats he hung with.
Yes, lots of driving for me, but wth.
:fingerscrossed::hangin::warriorsmiley:

InsaneCdn

Yes, lots of driving for me, but...
But... it's actually a great opportunity for communication.
difficult child and easy child "could" take the bus (about a 4-block walk to the bus, and we have to pay for the pass), but we like knowing how the day starts and ends - and it avoids all sorts of to-and-from-school issues like bullies.

LittleDudesMom

Hope it works out! My difficult child goes to a school here that is not his home public high because his local one is, well, bad. Is this school out of zone or out of district? In our state, most jurisdictions allow you to "apply" for out of zone if there is room and you understand you provide the transportation. Out of district is a whole 'nother can of worms. My easy child went out of district for high school (public) and we had to pay tuition based on what that country spent per student every year (but it was less than private high).

Hope this works out. I would begin looking into how to make the switch on your own to be on the safe side.....

Sharon

DammitJanet

Terry, sorry to be a downer but I truly believe that difficult child needs the experience of the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I realize it is very expensive but have you asked them if they take medicaid as payment? Because one he is there either one or two months (and I think it is one month) he is eligible to receive medicaid on his own income and am assuming he doesnt have any income. He would also need to have no bank accounts in his name totaling over $2000. Im telling you that in case you have any cd's in his name for when he grows up. Just take his name off them for the time being.

TerryJ2

Don't worry, Janet, that's why I said I'm still working on other things.
One is a local Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that is extremely expensive, where I'd have to put difficult child on his own medicaid plan after 30 days.
One is an out of town Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that would be the same thing but it's a bit of a nicer place.
One is a mtn/therapy combo but ins will not pay for the mtn part, just the therapy.
One is the Coast Guard teen program, but he can't go until he's 16.
We transferred all of his educational funds to easy child's accts 3 yrs ago.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You're a wonderful Mom Terry, you are covering all the bases for your son, and then some, good job! Keeping you in my thoughts so you find the perfect, affordable school.