Finished First Big Crochet Project!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessi, my mom and I took a crochet class a few months ago. Since then I have done quite a few small projects like potholders, etc... One night a about 3 weeks ago I decided to try a more complicated project. I still have a hard time reading patterns but I do well with youtube videos.

I decided to try the virus shawl because it looked pretty. I really thought I would spend a few days working on it and then rip it apart and be done with it. I actually FINISHED it! I just LOVE it!!

Shawls were what I wanted to learn crochet for. I hate winter coats. I generally have several lengths of fleece or plush fabric that I wrap up in to go out rather than to wear a coat. I decided a shawl would likely look nicer and if I made it then I would be able to choose the pattern AND afford it!

I am so proud of myself! I used a turquoise cotton and put a border in a white that is flecked with the turquoise, a deeper blue-green, and a green. The border is just another row of the pattern, but it looks nice.

Lil

I can crochet, but have never learned to follow a pattern, so scarves and afghans and pot holders are about it for me. I'd never heard of a virus shawl; what an odd name! I googled it and it's so pretty! Did you use a lightweight cotton, like doilies are made of, or yarn? I have never been able to master those tiny hooks.

susiestar

Roll With It
I agree it is an odd name. I cannot read charts well either. There are tons of youtube tutorials that are easier than reading the patterns though.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am so proud of myself! I used a turquoise cotton and put a border in a white that is flecked with the turquoise, a deeper blue-green, and a green. The border is just another row of the pattern, but it looks nice.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! It sounds really pretty even though I don't wear shawls. We (myself included) do was PICTURES!

It is a rush when you finish your first "real" project, isn't it? I don't remember when I learned to knit, but I do remember that I got seriously into in my early 20s when husband was in the Army. I had access to great yarn and superb needles and other equipment, ordered some books from the States, and some in German, and I was off and running.

Mostly in Germany, I knit a few sweaters, but my major thing was silk blend socks for husband and some of his friends to wear under their issue woolen stockings. Stu needed them because he'd gotten a bad case of trench foot and chilblains, and whenever his feet got cold, all that mess would act up again. husband learned to knit as well. He was laid up for 8 MONTHS with a severe foot fracture (crush injury) that for some reason the Army refused to do surgery on. I was ready to throttle within 4 days of him being on convalescent leave. Got together with a then-friend and she and I taught Stu how to knit. I do know how to crochet, but don't really enjoy it. Plus, it uses 2x per much yarn equal sized swatch than knitting doesl I've made a few afghans, some hats, a couple of baby "sets of stuff" (I know there's a proper term for those sets, but for the life of me, it escapes my mind. AHA! Layette Sets. Anyway, I crocheted a couple of those, and have knitted a few more. None recently as family, other than my niece and nephew are in this twenties and have expressed zero interest in adding their DNA to the genepool.