Finished my holiday baking!

DammitJanet

Jo...could you just make my cookies for me? Im just not good at it...lol. I think Im gonna have to stick to the packaged refrigerated cookies from now on. I spent darn near 30 bucks on ingredients and really...not that big a hit.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
JI spent darn near 30 bucks on ingredients and really...not that big a hit.

Hahaha, that's funny. Sometimes after trying a new cookie I just think "I shoulda just stuck with what we know we like!!" so that is what we do now. I was thinking of making a few quick breads and doctoring them up for friends and neighbors this year instead of slaving over cookies for everyone - it's become a chore, really and if I'm stressing over it, then it's probably not a good thing, right? Have I talked myself out of it yet?

Kathy813

Staff member
I have been attending a Christmas cookie party for 10 years. It is very competitive (in a good way) and always lots of fun.

I tried something new this year. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and it turned out great. They are called Meringue Mushrooms. I won most creative cookie!

~Kathy

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Kathy those are adorable!!! You should have won!!!

I am done for this phase. LOL I finished for the School and some friends.

I had some of the Southern Cooking already bookmarked and then tried some new ones...

Here is what I have made so far:

Oatmeal-Carmelitas
Key lime bars with macadamia crust
Mexican Cookies (lots of cayenne!)
Peppermint topped brownies
Winter squash chai bread
White chocolate chip macadamia cookies
Smokey Mountain Snowcaps
Macadamia Butter Cookies
White Chocolate Blueberry cookies
Lemon Tassies

I think I may have to bake a few more!!!
I started on Saturday and passed out most of them today.

I think my favorite new one is the Winter Squash Chai Bread. It takes 1/2 cup of concentrate Chai Tea though which can be hard to find.

donna723

I'M FINALLY FINISHED!!! For tonight anyway! It's 10:35 PM and I just sat down for the first time tonight! I got all mine done that I need to take to work tomorrow. I made a chocolate cake with cream cheese icing and four kinds of cookies - I made my favorite oatmeal cookies (really good!) and some frosted sugar cookies, pecan crescents (the little powdered sugar thingies) and my world-famous peanut butter sandwich cookies with the melted, smooshed peanut butter cups inside! I still have at least 50 pounds of frozen cookie dough in the freezer! I have a recipe for a chocolate version of the pecan crescents that I want to try too.

I would have been done sooner but I dropped a whole sheet of sugar cookies (upside down, of course) as I was taking them out of the oven! :ashamed: They were still hot and soft and they stuck to the floor! I was so tired by that time that I just scraped up what I could with a pancake turner and then called the dogs to clean up the rest. They now think that I'm the most wonderful person on the face fo the earth!

And then in a few days I get to make dozens and dozens more to take with me to my daughter's house. :sick:

donna723

toto, my kids LOVE the peanut butter cookies! My daughter has already checked to make sure I'm bringing a big batch when we go there at Christmas!

They're really easy. You can use any peanut butter cookie recipe - I use the one on the Butter Flavor Crisco package. Make one sheet of cookies (maybe a bit flatter than you usually would) and when they're done put them on a wire rack to cool and firm up. These are the 'lids'. Then put in a second sheet of cookies but take them out two minutes before the end of the baking time. Carefully turn them over with a spatula and put one of the smallest size Reeses Peanut Butter Cup candies (about an inch wide) in the center of each one, then put them back in the oven to bake the last two minutes (softens the chocolate). When they're done you top each one with one of the cooled cookies from the first batch. Smoosh it down and twist a little to spread the chocolate to the edges. These are WONDERFUL!!

ScentofCedar

Here is one I will be making this year for the first time.

Oreo Bon Bons

Reserving four chocolate tops, crush one package of oreo cookies in the food processor. Add 8oz of creme cheese. Roll into balls. Dip in melted white chocolate. Sprinkle with the crushed tops of the cookies.

Here is something to go onto the fudge platter:

Christmas Mice

Marachino cherries with stems
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Hershey's Kisses (unwrapped)
red cinnamon candies (eyes)
slivered almonds (ears)

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave per package directions. Dip the cherries into the melted chocolate to make the body of the mouse. Then, using more melted chocolate, glue the Hershey's kiss "head" onto the chocolate covered marachino cherry body so that the narrow part of the Kiss makes the mouse's nose. Again using melted chocolate, glue the red cinammon eyes into place. Then, glue a slivered almond between the Hershey's Kiss head and the marachino cherry body.

They look like little, chocolate, red eyed rats on the fudge tray ~ and they're delicious!

Barbara

donna723

Fran, the cookies I made from the frozen cookie dough came out exactly the same way that they always have. I couldn't tell any difference. It sure made it easier last night having them already mixed up! Saved a lot of time.