First annual - what i got myself for mothers day instead of whining post

TerryJ2

Spanx? Boy, am I slow on the uptake. Couldn't figure out what was going on there, lol!

My family was very, very good to me. Still, I saw nifty gardening gloves at Target for $4.49. I did not buy them because I thought someone else would. Duh. Should have taken Star's initiative.
Tomorrow is another day ...

dashcat

Great post, Star. I bought myself a bike rack - combo birthday and mother's day gift from me to me. difficult child did spend the night and, when she went to work, I drove out to a local bike trail and did 10 miles.

Then - in the parking lot - I slipped getting off the bike and the pedal dug a huge hole in my shin! I then spent the rest of the day in ER where i was given 13 stitches. Of course, bike pedals don't make clean incisions, so it's a mess.

Let no good deed go unpunished!

difficult child and I went to a movie last night (and she bought!) so it was a good day if you take out the silly stuff in the middle.

And I'm going back to the trail today~
Dash

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... I bought 2 gallons of off-white paint, electrical outlets, 2x4s, 2x12s, and 2x6s, a junction box, some wood screws, windshield washer fluid, beef jerky, rice crackers, chocolate frosting and an Arizona Sweet Tea...

husband and I went to Lowe's - he is remodeling Onyxx's old room, because his oldest son is visiting us in June and we need to do something with the horrible black-white-and-red striped walls and bowing built-in shelves... And I needed snacks. And, yes, that ALL sounded good at the same time.

Mom2oddson

Over-all, I had a great day. I was totally surprised by the first "person" to wish me a Happy M's day. Miss Daisy woke me up at 6:30. Daisy never gets up early, she doesn't get out of bed until she hears her dogfood hit the bowl. But yesterday, she was up and in my face all happy and thrilled with the "get up, get up" licks and tail wags. As soon as I was up, she ran and got her toy so we could play. After we played, she went back to bed. It was like she knew it was a special day and wanted to help start it off in a good way.

Then, I gave myself the nicest treat.....I sat and enjoyed peace and quiet. I got myself a cup of coffee and did nothing for over an hour. Just sat. Just relaxed. Just enjoyed. It didn't cost me a penny but was worth a million.

Then it was time to get back to reality. Ant called first to wish me a Happy Day and to say that he got a 2nd job and had to work, he'd see me when he got off of work. easy child didn't call until 6pm. I was starting to get worried. Turned out that he woke up with a migraine, took some medicine and slept the whole day away. He apologized for not calling earlier, he didn't think he'd knock out for that long.

Steph didn't even send a text. (over heard husband tell Ant and he was ******. He told husband that he even called and reminded her to call).... I'm glad she didn't call or text. It was actually easier having her continue her silent treatment. (maybe detachment is working?)

We had dinner at my Mom's. My Mom is a unique person and is thrilled with the strangest gifts. For a year now, she's been using sea salt and complaining because it doesn't like coming out of the salt shakers. So this year, I found fine grain sea salt, bought it and changed out the salt in all her salt shakers. She thinks I'm the greatest daughter and that was the best gift she could ever get. I love my Mom. (I also got her a nice plant for her new planter boxes - the salt was her favorite thing)

This was the first time I've ever spend a Mother's Day with Grandma. She is still the Queen of all GFGdom! In the 5 hours that we were over there, I was told at least 2 dozen times how I need to take time off of work because she wants me to take her shopping. My difficult child training kicked in and each time I would calmly say "Sorry Grandma, I can't take time off of work." The end.

My Mom and Sister went together and got me a gift certificate for a massage! I'm thrilled. Can't wait! Grandma gave me money and on the way home, stopped at the store and put it all on a Kindle card. husband was feeling bad because he didn't get me anything. He spent the whole day with me, helped out with my Grandparents (he picked up Grandpa from the nursing home and brought him over to the house). husband makes my Mom smile and is a good friend to my Dad. My Sister LOVES husband and he always treats her so well and makes her feel like she is something special. What more could I want from him?

And the best part of the day.....Ant says he can't go to the family reunion in Oroville, CA. YAY! Not that I don't want Ant there. But Ant has no leave. If he was going it would mean leaving here on Friday night and being back by Sunday night. 24 hours of driving in a little over 48 hours. Now that he's not going....we can take a few more days for the trip! Yay!!

KTMom91

I had a very nice day! Went to church, then over to mother in law's for pizza with the family, got a hand painted flower pot with a strawberry plant from Maddie (though she still doesn't know who we are...but that's another story), came home, read, watched TV, took a nap...calm and relaxing.

Today I'm getting my pedicure (from Hubby), and Miss KT is taking me to lunch at Chipotle. I think my gift to myself will be nail art...flowers on my toes!

DammitJanet

Well...my Mothers Day gift to myself was on Friday and it cost considerably more than 20 bucks...lol. I took Tony, Keyana, Cameron and myself to Darlington. That was my gift. Best thing I could have done for me. On Sunday Billy took us out to dinner at my favorite seafood place plus he got me this leather case for my Ereader. Cory also came over once and called me 3 times checking up on me. He seems to be making friends with his neighbors which makes me happy.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Star,
I'm a major popcorn fanatic! The Orville is just the regular popcorn that you pop on the stove or in a popper. For years I popped on the stove. This year I ended up getting a fun one that actually spins it on it's own. Then I add real butter; not healthy but a treat I allow myself about once a week:)

trinityroyal

Star, what a lark! This thread made such a lovely Day-After-Mother's-Day laugh.

This year, I got a teapot shaped like an elephant. Which is perfect, since I collect elephant figurines AND teapots. A two-fer!
I was out picking up a few things for mother in law's and my annual Mother's Day Lunch, when I happened upon the teapot. It was on the sale rack, marked down to $9.99.

It now has pride of place next to the Pig teapot, the Lord Nelson teaopt, and the Writing Desk teapot.

Hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day!
Trinity

tiredmommy

I was a very, very naughty mommy. Duckie was on the schedule to acolyte so we had to go to church. But... I also had to finish my shopping list and get to the grocery store before getting together with my in-laws at an oh-so-fancy restaurant. So how to do it all? I made sure Duckie was properly vested, then snuck upstairs to the waiting room outside the priest's office to complete my busy work. I joined the service just before communion.

Then, at dinner, I had an extra glass of wine (a really nice Greg Norman Shiraz from down under, who?) and watched my husband's family interact. They be trippin! :rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Girl.............I be trippin' - you so wine - I mean uh fine!

Everbody go move out with Barney for Janet over in PE? Busta move!

Trinny!!!!!!!!! I didn't know you collected Teapots! Wish I had known that before I sold my entire collection at my yard sale - they most certainly would 'av gone to you! Glad to hear you had a good Mums day!

WO - I have a VERY spendy Kitchen Aid popcorn Poper - Brand new in the box - can't decide if i want to use it or sell it - I have an Air popper, a stove top popper and my fav - the coffee filter looking thing you put in the microwave bowl with a bit of oil - I love that one but finding the filters is getting harder. It makes the BEST popcorn. nom nom nom.

Janet - Darlington - and and empty house? Plus a Barney Rap - Girl - that's phenom!

KTmom - You are like the board inspiration for toe art - I'm looking now for Summer purple - and I think after reading your post I shall attempt daisys.....on my toes! FUN! You must tell about the strawberries.

MOM2oddson - Your Mom and me? We'd get along really good. I love sea salt and had NO idea you could find a shaker for it - DF took my shaker and drilled bigger holes in it - and I was like - AWESOME. I wondered about spending the day with Grams. lol. And Ant - that's good about the jobs - bad about the headaches. Can he take relpax? They knock me out too. It sounds like all in all you had a great day - I'm glad for you - it's been a really stressy year - and you needed a day just for you.

Step - Okay you scared me - first of all - I thought you were going to say - Step son moving back in - (WOW) and then I got excited - thinking you were going to design and divulge the nursery colors - Better put 2 cribs at least! I'm telling you! You just keep going lalalalaal all you want.

Dash - kisses for the booboo leg - but Kudos on getting out and having a great ride. I was looking at my old bicycle the other night and thought - well - the last time you rode - you couldn't walk for 2 days - not because of mylegs but the bootie - omg my butt hated me. I put a bigger seat on there - its like a bicycle seat built for two - but still - I'm not sure - I think I must have abnormal butt bones or something and it just looks beyond gay riding wtih a couch pillow under your hiney so - I'm not sure what I'm going to do - But I do envy you - I love to ride - And I'm proud of you!

Terry - Okay the first time I heard about Spanx? I thought it was two girls discussing S&M. I kinda wandered away from the conversation. Not unlike Marci's torture application - these girls also had problems getting in and out of the thing - making me think the conversation was not about support but about rough men. So like I said I just kind did the OH Uh - Dear me - and walked away. Then I felt like a dork when I realized Spanx was a support thing and OMG are they like AWESOME - but like Marci said - pass gas and it looks like a rat under wall paper trying to escape the room. And I hope you got your gloves today - You did go get your Mothers Day gloves right?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Star honey? This isn't my stepson.

I don't know how to explain it except - he is husband's kid, but I barely know him except on facebook, actually husband has only seen him once since he (M) was 6 months old (again, thanks to BM... Who threatened M's mother, who took M into hiding, and... yeah, it's like that).

So while M is my kids' brother, and husband's son... I'm kinda the outsider. Perhaps after this visit it will be a bit different.

Oh, and PS - the nursery color is: lavender. Period. Nice and restful. Neither pink nor blue, but both. because there is no nursery. It will be my and husband's bedroom to start, when child is older upstairs. My bedroom is lavender...

Marguerite

We don't do gifts for Mothers Day or Fathers Day. All I ever ask is that the kids remember, preferably for themselves. The adult kids remembered and rang me to chat, although I suspect their eldest sister reminded the other two. mother in law however, slipped difficult child 3 a card she had bought and got him to give it to me. I was a little miffed because I would rather he was left in ignorance, than encouraged in a deceit. I knew immediately what had been done, husband confirmed it quietly later with difficult child 3. Still, maybe he will remember next year.

What did I get for myself? Nothing, really. I didn't feel I needed to. Not anything material, anyway. I did ensure I got some rest after we got home from church, then I had organised with mother in law to cook a roast dinner (easy - my preference). husband & I went down to mother in law's when we put the roast on, and stayed there. Normally I would come home for an hour or so, but sitting down with mother in law and watching a movie together was good fun. I got a lot more knitting done, too. So my gift to myself, was that bit of quiet and relaxation. The phone was pretty busy, because funeral arrangements were also being discussed, for husband's uncle who died the day before. Another reason to keep Mothers Day low-key.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marg - I am sorry to hear of the passing of husband's Uncle. My condolences to your family.

On a lighter note? I'm glad that you took the opportunity to be kind to yourself and have traditions that you are happy with. In our house? I finally relented and just decided that all holidays are really not worth the upset and aren't what they were when I was a child, nor can I ever make them that way. I tried to, and not that I fell short, but with Dude being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or hospital? I can literally count on both hands how many celebrations we had in all our years together. Each one depressing me more than the former. It became obvious over a period of time, loss, death and therapy that each day, not just each holiday would be what I made of it. I have a choice, I had a choice then - just chose to ignore the fact and wallowed in my own pity.

After therapy - years of it - I realised that the therapist was right, no matter how much I wanted NOT to admit it, no matter HOW much I wanted to say "But you would think JUST this one day, JUST this once." It became more than evident when we had the "If I were to be close to death" conversation; you know - the one where you fantasize about your near death experince, being in the hospital and how you believe your family and especially your difficult child child would rally around your bedside being there every moment, worried to the ends of the world never leaving your side and that dramatic moment in time would forever change their behavior for the better. Well, I had that moment while Dude was in Department of Juvenile Justice, waiting to find out if he would get thirty years in prison as a 15 going on 16 year old child. It was unfair, we were honest and forthcoming to the police -and we were lied to by the cop and it cost Dude his future. Then I had a stroke and ended up in the hospital wondering if I would ever be right again.

When DF went to visitation and told Dude about what had happened to me, how severe it was, how close to 'loosing' his Mother he was? There was that moment of precipice for me thinking - 'could this be it? would this forever change him?" and what I got was a slap of reality that changed me for good. Dude looked, asked simply "IS she alright?" DF answered "She's going to be okay." and then in the next draw of his breath Dude asked for money for the candy machine. Once again it was self, me, I - needs met. I think at that very moment it was like my mind separated from my soul so-speak in a reality sort of way maybe only Mothers here can understand and it was like - "He really can NOT, he really is NOT, and even if I did die tomorrow - there would be few tears, few emotions, few thoughts...except What about ME, how does this affect ME?" I think that's when I finally accepted the ALL of his disability, and let go of so much of the "what about ME - for things like Why don't I get a card on Mother's Day, why isn't there a present for ME at my birthday, where is MY Christmas present?" You would think there COULD be something, you would think there SHOULD be something at the least - but I started to see him for what I have and not what I don't have. I have a son...I have occasional conversations with a few laughs, he's currently not in jail, he's trying to find a job, he's supporting himself the best way he can, he has goals - he takes care of his dog. Things like that. If I want a gift because I feel left out of what the rest of the world is 'getting'? I go get one. I don't need one to feel like a great Mom - because NO ONE has walked the hell I have - and I don't need an anniversary pin or a watch to tell ME I'm a danged good Mother - I know I am because I had a child that was supposed to be a life-long criminal, and anti-social child, a drug addict, an alcoholic - and he's not. To me - that's a Mother's Day present every day - and I'll take that over a card or a gift 24/7 365 because it's the gift that keeps on giving, and it gives to more than me - it gives to the world - because that's where he lives - and I go to sleep at night knowing - he's a better person because I did my best, sacrificed things that not many I know have, and I'm good with it - to me? That's a Mother's Day gift to myself and to my kids all the time. Everyone here? I wish they would feel the same way, because they've worked hard too. Maybe someday they'll see it like that. But until they do? They can take the money and go get a little something because it's just nice to have a little something. I really like this bath soap.

Jena

sorry i missed this, i kept wondering what oh what did she buy herself that put a smile on her face? dove is a goooood thing and without a coupon!!! shocking!!

me, i got a manicure! :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
AWESOME! You actually DID something for yourself? (I faint!) You did something without taking the kids - just for YOU? (hmmmm) Just you? No kids.......? None at all. You got selfish and went all on your onesizeies?

Jena

you talkin to me? please let's not go that far.......... i'm just beginning to "get it" remember? LOL i did not go kidless!

next year next year.......

shellyd67

Wow, how could I have missed this thread. Sorry I am way late.

husband sent me out for the day with some cash and I shopped til I dropped.

Then he and the kids took me to dinner.

easy child made me two beautiful homemade cards (my favorite kind) and she wrote some really heartfelt things. She is only 8 years old but someday I am sure will write for Hallmark.

difficult child did hug me and wished me a Happy Mother's Day, and that was pretty much it from him.

He was somewhat behaved so what more could I ask for ?