First call of the school year!

ShakespeareMamaX

Well....here we go.

Lay out the red carpet and sound the trumpets. The complain train is coming in!

I got home today and, sure enough, difficult child's teacher had left her first, very own message! She didn't go into detail, but it sure contradicted my son's "I was perfect today" message.

*sigh* Just when I thought I could go an entire 3 days with no calls. Well, time to reset the scoreboard.

Unfortunately, I can't speak with her until Tuesday to get all the fun facts.

See? She should have called back Wed when I requested the PPT.

By the way, does anyone know how long it takes to get a PPT together (est)? And who should I bother first about it (besides the teacher I've already tried)?

Sara PA

"Recently a bit violent towards people and animals"? Is that since adding the Wellbutrin (or any other antidepressant)?

All antidepressants have this warning:
Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk: Patients, their families, and their caregivers
should be encouraged to be alert to the emergence of anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hypomania, mania, other unusual changes in behavior, worsening of depression, and suicidal ideation, especially early during antidepressant treatment and when the dose is adjusted up or down. Families and caregivers of patients should be advised to look for the emergence of such symptoms on a day-to-day basis, since changes may be abrupt. Such symptoms should be reported to the patient's prescriber or health professional, especially if they are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms. Symptoms such as these may be associated with an increased risk for suicidal thinking and behavior and indicate a need for very
close monitoring and possibly changes in the medication

Frankly, I think those behaviors in and of themselves are unacceptable side effect and don't have to lead to suicidal ideation to be a major problem in a child's life.

DammitJanet

Well I might have a clue if I knew what a PPT was ...LOL. Im assuming that is some form of an an acronym for the IEP team right? Or the people who test for deciding if a kid needs a IEP?

If that is the case, I would look in the archives...should be something there. Probably 30 to 45 days roughly.

What did lil Mr. Ants-inhis-Pants do to get this phone call home? Im sure it had to be just so dire to get a call on day 3...lol. Surely he set fire to the teachers lounge or stole all their afterschool snacks.

Sigh...I know it is a let down. Mine got kicked off the kindergarten bus the first day of school...lmao.

ShakespeareMamaX

The violent outburts started a few months ago. He's calmed down a bit since then, so I guess I should change the profile. He does, however, still show wreckless "invincible" behavior, at times, and won't leave the kitties alone (Locks them in his room, traps them under his blanket, etc...).

Yes, PPT is an IEP. HE says all he did was talk twice during quiet time. That's all I'm getting out of him. I bet, right?

Sorry about your kineegartender, Janet. What did he/she do?

I'm trying to stay positive about the whole thing. Hey, at least they didn't have me come get him early! Hehe She didn't call my cell, either, which means it couldn't have been drastically urgent.

And I agree, Sara. There are a lot of things equally as bad as or even worse than suicidal thoughts. Thanks for the clip on the worsening. That definately seemsed to happen with all his other medications, so I'm on the lookout.

I can't wait 'til Tuesday. I'll keep you updated!

susiestar

Roll With It
Can you email the teacher to try to get some info before Tues? It seems to me that if it is important enough to leave a message this early in the year, then she should do a bit more to let you know what happened.

As far as the PPT, if it is an IEP or 504 evaluation, you need to check the archives. There is a letter there that can be adapted. Then you need to send it certified mail, return receipt requested to the principal. It is in the Special Education Archives, I think.

Hugs,

Susie

ps. If it wasn't important enough to give you detail over the message, or to call you this evening, then just go ahead and have a good weekend. It clearly can wait until next week.

K

Kjs

I feel for you. I am worried about the first day on Tuesday.

Maybe he just needs a little adjustment time.

Enjoy your holiday weekend. Wait for the facts.

In my situation, I always need to ask the teacher(s) what led up to the incident. Sometimes I find a known trigger in something that happened prior to the incident. Something that can be avoided for future situations.

Enjoy!

SRL

If you make your request for evaluation in writing next week you're probably looking at at least November before an IEP is in place.

The principal and teacher or the child study team can put some things in place sooner if it's evident supports are going to be needed.

AllStressedOut

My oldest difficult child was sent home his first day of kindergarten for threatening the teacher (I thought). So I asked husband about this recently and what he actually did was threaten to blow up the school. Nice huh? I wasn't married to husband yet at this point and I guess he didn't want to share those details with me (afraid he might scare me off I guess).

Now with youngest difficult child in 2nd he typically threatens on a person by person basis. Well, I guess its not threatening if he's actually chasing the kid with scissors and not just telling him he is going to, huh?

We made it to day 5 before we got a call from her. That is an all time high for us! LOL