First deer of the season!

Jabberwockey

I got my first deer of the season last night. Unfortunately, it was with my truck which is now in the shop for possibly up to two weeks for repairs. We have a good insurance agent though so, in spite of the fact that we don't have coverage that would get us a rental, he's getting us a loaner from the dealership. No one was hurt besides the deer which was mangled beyond the possibility of salvaging any meat. Its all good but just added a bit more stress to our lives for a while.

pigless in VA

Ugh. I have those little deer whistles on both my vehicles. The deer do seem to notice them. I've heard some vehicles ride by that have a loud pinging noise which I believe is also to scare animals.

I'm glad you're okay, Jabber. My SO hit a deer which came through the windshield. Scary stuff.

Jabberwockey

I'm just glad it was the truck and not the car. Full coverage on the truck and she was in mid leap so probably would have gone through the windshield of the car. This is the second deer I've ever hit with a vehicle. Both with trucks oddly enough. Yeah, those whistle things don't really work. They get used to hearing the noise so they ignore it. On back roads it could work but where this happened there is so much traffic that its seriously doubtful it would have helped.

Lil

Since Jabber is okay my brain turns to the expense! I just thank God our deductible is low. I had more than a little :panicsmiley:at the thought of coming up with $500 or more, plus possibly renting a car...but it's only $100 deductible and we have a loaner coming. (We also have rental coverage - now!) I swear, we bought the cabin and the truck, with plenty of disposable income to pay for them...and since it's felt like we're just hemorrhaging money! Every time we turn around there's another bill popping up!

I'm not one that handles having to worry about the budget all that well. :nervoussmiley:

BusynMember

Jabber, i am so sorry, but glad YOU are okay. Deer are a real hazard here too. My daughter KILLED a deer in her car and it was totaled. The car AND the deer.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had several very near misses up north, but the closest I came was a deer taking a bounce shot off my hood on HWY 51 at dusk. Nice buck, too. He jumped out of the ditch, bounced off the hood of my SUV with all four hooves, hit the road, and kept on going. You could actually see the hoofprints on the hood of my vehicle.

I also had a doe, chased by three dogs, run headlong into the rear quarter panel of the same SUV at full speed. The SUV was parked at the time.

Left a dandy dent. I ran out out, chased the dogs away, and watched over the doe, who got up after several minutes and trotted off. I thought she had for certain either fractured her skull or broken her neck.

Lil

The truck is ok

"Ok" is a relative term. It's not totaled. It was towed to the shop for body and mechanical repairs.

I ran out out, chased the dogs away, and watched over the doe, who got up after several minutes and trotted off. I thought she had for certain either fractured her skull or broken her neck.

Craziest deer story I have was with my ex. We're driving down the road behind a cement truck and a doe comes streaking out of the woods, across the road, and smacks her head at a full run on the boom of the cement truck - you know, the slide thing where the cement pours out? She dropped like a ROCK, literally, only her momentum got her off the road, stone dead! Must have cracked her skull.

Cement truck didn't even know it happened and just kept going. We hopped out, tossed the deer in the back and took it to the processing plant. You certainly couldn't get fresher road-kill.

jal

I am glad you are OK. My husband just hit a deer 4 weeks ago while riding his scooter. Yes, you read that right, a scooter. It came out of the woods and jumped right in from of him. The scooter is mangled, the deer is dead and my husband was left with a broken collar bone, a concussion, staples in his head, road rash on his face and hasn't worked in a month. Yet, this story could have had a very bad ending. We are very lucky he is alive.

Lil

I am glad you are OK. My husband just hit a deer 4 weeks ago while riding his scooter. Yes, you read that right, a scooter. It came out of the woods and jumped right in from of him. The scooter is mangled, the deer is dead and my husband was left with a broken collar bone, a concussion, staples in his head, road rash on his face and hasn't worked in a month. Yet, this story could have had a very bad ending. We are very lucky he is alive.

Oh MY! How terrible! Crazy animals this time of year, but I've never heard of one hitting a scooter! I'm glad it wasn't worse!

pasajes4

My ex was on his Harley on a Friday night run with about 10 other people. A deer came streaking out of the woods and caused a major motorcycle pile up. My husbands bike was totaled, and he had broken bones and a shattered helmet. The other guys did not fair any better. No lives were lost. My ex never rode again and he had been riding for more than 15 years at the time. I chose not to go that night, because the other wives and girlfriend were not going. I probably would not be around to tell this story if I had gone.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
We have deer, bear and moose here. I have had a near miss with a deer twice. I have hit a Coyote they are all over the place here. No damage just hair in the front bumper. I hit he brakes and we did collide but I do believe the coyote survived.

Pasa
Glad you didn't go that night as well. I pass a church twice a month for work that has a wooden cross and a Blue wrap on the lawn. It always makes me think of you.

Jabberwockey

jal, I hope he is ok. I cant imagine hitting something while riding a motorcycle much less a scooter. Just a decent sized bug off the knuckles stings like a muther!

Pasa, I'm glad that it all worked out ok.

We have no equivalent.

Maybe hipsters stepping off the curb while texting is the closest.

At least with deer you only deal with the insurance company. If you hit a hipster make sure you kill it, otherwise then there will be lawyer involvement.

We have bear here but I have yet to personally see one. Tracks but no actual sightings. Deer are bad enough though since they can really do a number on your vehicle. GN, had I not known that the deer was mangled beyond salvaging I would definitely have put some of the meat in the freezer. Hell, one of the people who stopped to help kept checking his truck for a sharp knife to at least see if the tenderloins were salvageable!

jal

Thank you all for the well wishes. He is better but still concussed. I'm just thankful i was not on with him as Sunday was usually our time to ride.

We are in SE CT. Lots of deer. Not a lot of bears where we are but just recently had a moose sighting on a local highway and that's rare here.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad you are okay. Deer are a definite danger on the roads. 3 years ago my aunt and uncle were driving down the road and a deer ran out in front of them. My uncle threw himself to the side to protect my aunt, even with his seatbelt on. He saved her life, but lost his.

Back when my kids were small I was driving down a road in OH and saw my craziest deer story. We were not in a rural or wooded area. It was a residential area with no woods around at all. I saw a deer run out into the road and fall into the back of a red convertible that had the top down! The driver slammed on the brakes and was sort of stunned. The deer then scrambled to its' feet and leaped out of the car and ran into the houses on the other side of the street. All of the traffic stopped, of course, to see what was going on. That deer trashed the interior of the convertible. Just tore the leather seats all up. The driver pulled into a driveway and called the cops. Several of us stayed to give statements because witnesses were going to be needed. Who would believe a story like that without witnesses? My kids thought it was the most awesome thing they had ever seen.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Scariest thing husband and I ever had happen with animals and cars was back in 1979. We decided to take husband's car, a tiny, 69 Datsun (Nissan), up to Maine to do some camping. We were headed back to our campsite after picking up some groceries, when we came upon a mama moose and twin calves in the road. We stopped. Hell, we could've driven UNDER her.

The calves were sort of dithering around in the road. Mama got upset and started making warning charges at our car. We sat there with the realization that if mama got serious and attacked the car, we were both dead. We sat there for twenty minutes while this cow moose bellowed and snorted, and tried to chase her idiot calves into the brush on one or the other side of the road. Finally both calves exited on the same side of the road, followed by mama, who gave us the hairy eyeball until she disappeared into the brush.

It took a bit before we were able to proceed. If no-ones ever been up close and personal with a cow moose, they are nearl y 7' tall at the hump and weigh close to a ton. The bulls are even bigger.

My nicest encounter with wildlife on the road was outside of Eagle River back when I could still drive in the dark. I saw what I initially thought were two malamutes on the the side of the road. Got closer and realized they were too big and not furry enough.

It wasn't until I spotted the radio collars that I realized that I was looking at a pair of timber wolves. I slowed down and pulled wide, and they trotted alongside the car for a bit, as if it was a game of some sort.

Then the pair left the road, I heard howls in the distance and the pair answered. Sent chills up and down my spine. I pulled off for a bit on the shoulder to listen to the pack talking to each other. It was starting to snow, and as I sat there, a female snowy owl ghosted overhead.

I felt welcomed to the Northwoods.