First-Grade Homework Battles - Desperately Need Help

S

stressbunny

SRL, I will definitely look into getting the Occupational Therapist (OT) involved with the recess issue. That's a really good idea. difficult child does have something written in his IEP about social skills, however, it's not substantial because those issues do not appear to be as significant as the other problems. I completely agree that extra help in the classroom would be SO beneficial for him.

Midwest Mom, Just wanted to mention that difficult child has received a comprehensive neuropsychologist evaluation from a reputable children's hospital team of professionals, and they told us his apraxia of speech is not consistent with autism and that he wasn't even on the spectrum for the disorder. He was tested for everything possible. They worked on testing his speech for days, and they told us it is definitely not the same as they see in autistic children; it is a rarer variety.

It wasn't until last summer that a local professional tested him and said that he was barely on the spectrum, but that he felt difficult child does in fact have some autistic traits. He said it is very mild, if he is even on the spectrum, but felt he could benefit from the same interventions autistic children receive. This was great news to us, because the more services we can find, the better.

All of the entire team of professionals difficult child has seen have diagnosed him with severe ADHD and ODD, including the autism professionals. ADHD can be very severe in its own right. Not all ADHD children are autistic spectrum.

The apraxia of speech probably relates to oxygen deprivation during birth. It is not physically related to his other problems. Kids who have apraxia can talk, but they have faulty neurological connections between the brain and their facial/mouth muscles, making it difficult to understand them. Their brains can develop new pathways with appropriate therapy and practice. My difficult child has been talking since a young age, but has been difficult to understand due to the apraxia. His speech has improved considerably over the past several years, with the help of daily speech therapy.

My point is that I don't care what the label is, really, I just want solutions to help my difficult child, and if Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) treatment will help him, then that's what I want. If you can be more specific as to the particulars regarding Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) treatment which could be helpful, that would be great. I am open to anything at this point.

Thanks,

StressBunny

BusynMember

Unfortunately, you may have gotten bad advice. Apraxia is, in fact, a part of autism. However, you need to do what you feel is best. In retrospect, knowing what I do now, if it were my kid, I'd take him for another workup. Bet you'd get another opinion. Not communicating/being unable to talk is very autistic-like. It takes a while to get the spectrum diagnosis. Does your child know how to socialize well with his same age peers? Good, strong eye contact? I could go on and on. At any rate, I do wish bot of you luck. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

wakeupcall

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I could have written your post (I think I did) a few years ago. Our life after school was HORRID!!! Our difficult child could not possibly do homework no matter what we tried. He was like a caged animal and HAD to go outside no matter the weather. His medications had been given for school behavior, not home behavior. We were already sacrificing that. Today, at almost 14, it's no different. When he was in fifth grade, we finally had it written into his IEP "NO HOMEWORK" at all. We insisted he read a little (whatever we could find that would interest him from the public library) and that was it. The NO HOMEWORK was suggested by the school disctrict's lead psychologist. To this day, our difficult child storms in the front door every day after school (medication long gone) and I know there's still no way he could ever sit and do even thirty min of homework. He is UNABLE to do that, period. He makes very good grades.....all A's and B's in the 7th grade, though I know he's not learning like the other students. He's in a social development class where the teacher is aware of the problems and gets him to work a little independently during the school day.

PLEASE for the sake of your relationship with your child, try to get it written into his IEP that his homework is eliminated or at least abbreviated to the point that maybe he could do five math problems or read one chapter. It's essential for your mental well-being as well as his. Our difficult child suffered severe self-esteem problems that took forever to overcome because he'd been humiliated at school for not doing his homework.

I DO know what you're going through. ODD is a bugger and we are still struggling with it even though we don't have the homework issue. I feel like an expert on it after fourteen years!

SRL

Unfortunately, you may have gotten bad advice. Apraxia is, in fact, a part of autism. However, you need to do what you feel is best. In retrospect, knowing what I do now, if it were my kid, I'd take him for another workup. Bet you'd get another opinion. Not communicating/being unable to talk is very autistic-like. It takes a while to get the spectrum diagnosis. Does your child know how to socialize well with his same age peers? Good, strong eye contact? I could go on and on. At any rate, I do wish bot of you luck. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

While I agree that every child needs a full evaluation by reputable professionals, Apraxia is not part of the Autistic Spectrum . Children with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder may have apraxia. Children with apraxia may also have Autism. There may be overlapping traits and children with either may benefit from the same or similar therapies such as speech and Occupational Therapist (OT). But medically they are two distinct conditions. Apraxia is neurological condition resulting in difficulty in motor planning with regards to movement which may impact speech, motor skills, etc. The social delays, obsessions, difficulty with transitions, etc that are characteristic of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are not apraxia, although as mentioned already there may be overlap.

Autistic Spectrum Disorders
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/screening.html

Apraxia
http://www.articlesbase.com/health-...erence-between-apraxia-and-autism-413872.html

I know that you parents who have been dealing with these issues understand what can sometimes be subtle differences. But I wanted to clarify for our archives and for newcomers to these disorders.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Sometimes I don't write well. I'm sorry. What I meant is that, with all the red flags for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), it's always good to get a fresh eye to look at your child. As your know, my own son was grossly misdiagnosed and we had to fight to get his diagnosis correct. Apraxia is very often a part of autism and this child has other traits that they are trying to brush off as "severe" ADHD and "mild" autism. Perhaps it's true, but, knowing what I know now, I'd take NOTHING as gospel, and I'd go for a second opinion from new professioanls, especially a neuropsychologist. Often it's best to get more than one opinion. My neuropsychologist was from Mayo, and he told me, "MAYO MAKES MISTAKES ALL THE TIME! EVERYONE DOES." No matter who does the diagnosing in my opinion it's always good to get second and even third opinions, especially when there may be some red flags that perhaps (and only perhaps) the diagnosis is focusing too much on the ADHD and not enough on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Of course this is JMO.
That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night ;)

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Hi and welcome.

Yes, we did away with all homework for our difficult child when she got into the 2nd grade. The only "homework" we will allow is reading. IF she feels like doing homework, we have her work on some fun computer math or language games or we play card games or dice that have her work her brain a little. Other than that, we refuse the homework battles. Homework simply does nothing for our difficult child except make her overwhelmed and stressed out. For our difficult child, just making it through a full school day without meltdowns is major success in our eyes.

HUGS to you, work that IEP!!

Vickie

SRL

Basically, the teacher received our e-mail (as I pasted below), and then she went to the Special Education guy and the principal and discussed this with them, getting them to agree that difficult child should miss recess time if he doesn't get his work done. She also thinks that if difficult child doesn't do homework with us at night, that he should be obligated to "make it up" in school by missing out on privileges.
?!!!

The teacher, principal, and Special Education guy agreeing on this doesn't constitute an IEP meeting to reevaluate your son's needs. You'll probably need to make a written request.

Moonlight

Homework is supposed to be 10 minutes per grade level. So, AT MOST, it should only be 10 minutes. The homework battle is not worth it.

jannie

trying to survive....
It is very reasonable to request reduced workload and modified assignments. You should also insist that your child not miss recess due to unfinished classwork. It doesn't make sense to me that the teacher feels as though she can sneak in the homework during the day and use recess as a threat...when your earlier posts suggest that at times he does not even finish the typical classwork...let alone homework during the day.

Does he lose recess now on a typical basis? If so, perhaps this is triggering some of the after school problems. I told my sons school that if he is to lose recess than he needs to be given "physical work" to do rather than sitting at his desk doing nothing. He can dump trash cans, dump recycling, carry reems of paper upstairs to the upper grade teachers.

SkunkMomma

I teach 2nd grade and since I have a difficult child and have dealt with homework battles I do my homework differently. I send all homework for the week home on Fridays. This gives the kids the weekend and it is not due until the next Thurs. I do not give that much homework but it is for the parents to see what type of things we are doing in class and it should always be something they have been working on and not new material. Ask your teacher if she can send his home the week before it is due and give him a week to do it. She should know a week in advance what she is planning for homework. This way you can catch him when he feels like it. Also, I feel if he is in the spectrum then put the no homework in the IEP. If I did not sit with mine each night doing homework it would not get done. I told you I teach but I also do things the easy way. Since they would not put the no homework in my difficult child's IEP when he was younger I did the work and he copied it. Homework was not helping him so why not.

SRL

SkunkMomma, we had teachers in K-2 who sent weekly work home packets and it was nice knowing what to expect. (With the exception of special projects, it wasn't until 3rd grade that homework was stuff they didn't get done in class). Homework flexibility in the IEP allowed carryover the weekend when needed. Any time homework had to be done after a full day of school it was far less productive and far more likely to result in fusses than morning or weekends.

Since they would not put the no homework in my difficult child's IEP when he was younger I did the work and he copied it. Homework was not helping him so why not.

I never had to resort to that on daily work but a friend and I joke about several 2nd and 3rd grade projects we were assigned. ;)

S

stressbunny

I really like the idea of a weekly packet or something that allows us to do what we can, without the pressure of having to get it all done.

Unfortunately, this classroom teacher is proving to be very inflexible. I know for a fact that a lot of other special needs kids have reduced workloads without punishment for it.

Why does this process have to be such a battle? Why won't the teacher at least acknowledge the extreme difficulties we are facing as parents in this situation? She thinks things have to be her way or no way, period - end of story. She claims recess is her only leverage, but isn't her approach very negative? Couldn't there be a more positive way of helping him, like a reward system or something? I am so tired of explaining to every teacher every year that ADHD kids are not choosing to be non-productive and non-compliant. They are experiencing neurological challenges many children do not have to deal with.

It is my understanding that we and the school can agree to make changes to the IEP without having a formal meeting, however, because we are experiencing this disagreement, I'm guessing we'll have to move forward with an IEP meeting.

The teacher is treating the issue as a problem of motivation - that difficult child is "not as productive as he could be" and is "wasting time", read lazy. I wish this were just a problem of laziness. She believes the threat of lost recess time will motivate difficult child to get his work done faster. difficult child has great difficulty focusing and staying on task. This is due to his severe ADHD, not laziness. I don't believe it's his choice to be so hyper, distracted, and off task. I believe children do well when they can. I would like to see more one-on-one assistance for him to help him stay with a task and finish things.

But he can't meet her expectations of him. And he knows it. He has told me that he doesn't think his teacher likes him. The other day at school during recess, he jumped through a deep puddle on the playground (which he wasn't supposed to do, of course), and got really, really wet - feet, socks, boots, pants, etc. He said that she told him he would have to suffer for his bad choice. We were never called to bring dry clothing or anything. He had to sit like that the rest of the day! In fact, he has dry pants and underwear in his backpack every day because he sometimes wets his pants, but he came home soaked.

I'm at the end of my rope! This teacher is young and probably not very experienced, so I don't think she fully grasps the reach of an IEP or protection under IDEA. It looks like we'll have to push the issue in a formal meeting.

The crazy thing about this is I don't think the request to eliminate homework and preserve recess time are that unreasonable at the first-grade level. I'm really surprised at how much resistance we're encountering.

StressBunny

susiestar

Roll With It
I have not read all of this, not enough time right now. I want to mention a few things.

Taking away his recess will stunt his social growth, something he needs extra help with because his autism. They are not only creating MORE problems by keeping a hyperactive child from getting exercise, they are also making it impossible for him to develop normally by taking away the "free time" with his peers. I would fight this tooth and nail, even if it meant taking time each day to be at school during the recess periods.

Taking recess away will make him LESS productive and MORE angry and defiant. At least this is how it works with many, if not most ADHD kids.

In some states, such as Oklahoma, it is mandated by the state legislature that recess CANNOT be taken away. Due to the increasing obesity of our children as a group, and the lack of physical activity most of them get, it is now mandated that children go out for recess every day unless it is raining or below 32 degrees. IF the child has a health problem they can be sent to the office or library in very cold weather or hot weather if it a problem with the heat, but this is the ONLY way they can take recess away. They can make students walk in laps around the playground rather than playing freely, but that is the LIMIT of restrictions that can be placed on recess.

Maybe using these arguments will help. You also might want to check with the state board of education to see if it is even legal to restrict recess.

As for making up work done while your son is at Occupational Therapist (OT) or speech, this violates Federal guidelines. Students cannot be forced to put in extra hours of schooling when they are pulled out for things like speech, Occupational Therapist (OT), enrichment classes, etc... I came across this when my son was in 1st grade and in a full day pull out program for enrichment. The teacher was requiring him to do ALL of the owrk that the class did on the day he was at Gifted. Essentially my then-little guy was getting 6 days of school work instead of 5. And I was expected to force him to do all of this work in the evening and have it ready to turn in the very next school day after he had been in gifted the day before. So he was told to do 2 days work in 1 day.

It was a major battle with the teacher to see that this was too much. And when I presented her, the principal AND the Superintendent of Schools with copies of the federal rule(law?) about this they were furious with me. The Superintendent's presence was NOT my call - they called him in to try to intimidate ME. (HA! He was my great-UNCLE and furious with them before he even knew it was MY child they called him in on because HE knew they were not in the right!) I am not sure exactly where to find the guideline, but I am sure if you go to the Sp Ed section of the board they can help you. Or maybe go to the Wrightslaw website.

Anyway, this school has lost their marbles. Or the teacher has. I would check in with the Sp Ed section of the board anyway on all this. I think you are going to have LOTS of trouble with the school in the coming years. Just a feeling.

Oh - has your child been tested for things like auditory processing and receptive language disorders? It is something to look into. You may need private testing to find them - I think schools frequently miss these. I would also have a PRIVATE Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment to check for sensory issues. MANY of our kids have them and working with them can make HUGE differences. You want a private assessment with someone who is trained in sensory issues, NOT a school Occupational Therapist (OT) because the school only looks for ways that the problems affect school - not how they affect his entire life.

Will read more and post more later.

Marguerite

Stressbunny, I have some suggestions for you. I'll try to put the in point form, hopefully to make it easier for you to consider and use (or not, as you choose).

The label - ADHD, autism, apraxia - it doesn't matter what we call it, your son is struggling and the overall presentation of how he functions, is what MUST be considered here by everybody, especially his class teacher. While I do agree that it always has to be kept in mind that what we are told about our kids is NEVER ahrd and fast, ALWAYS must be considered to be just an approximation and always has to be open to challenge - right now, you have more urgent things to deal with: you have to get the school to back off on their attitude to him. As I said in my earlier post - it is time for a major mindset change. This time, I mean that THE SCHOOL must change their mindset towards him. You are correct - he is NOT merely lacking motivtion. Chances are he is already highly motivated to do the work, but simply cannot do it under the circumstances.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Request an IEP meeting as a matter or urgency. The reason for the urgency - the class teacher has got things badly wrong and is about to escalate problems to a huge extent, the rages you have sen at home are likely to now explode at school, and if the school is looking for an excuse to throw him out, they're about to get their ammunition. You need to head them off at the pass.

2) IMMEDIATELY, before the IEP, begin using a Communication Book. Even with a difficult teacher, this can make a big difference because the communicarion is immediate, and also less stressful than a daily classroom steps consultation. Think about it - after a day teaching your son, the teacher will be looking forward to getting away from school and heading home for a stiff drink (as we would, in their shoes). The last thing the teacher wants is to have to meet with the parent of the most difficult kid in class, and re-hash the day. But the child's parent does need this information, on a daily basis. The Communication Book is the way out of this.
To set it up - get a fairly standard school exercise book and a plastic cover for it. Write on the cover, "difficult child's Communication Book. This is for staff, family and friends to write in about anything important, interesting, good or bad in difficult child's day. This communication is to help us all find patterns in what works for him and what doesn't."
I actually would type my notes onto a computer diary and print out just that day's entry, then paste it into the book. My handwriting is poor and this also meant that my notes had back-up copies on the computer. My notes have come in VERY handy over the years, when I need to backtrack over an incident or when the book has gone missing (as it does sometimes).
Ground rules - teachers are permitted to vent, do not use what the teacher says to plan legal action, no matter how tempting. ANYBODY should be permitted to say, "I could have cheerfully throttled him today and laughed through the entire process." The aim is to try to support one another. That doesn't mean you can't disagree, but you need to continually work towards a good relationship with the other staff. So if a teacher gets it badly wrong in your opinion, find a tactful way of saying so. For example, "I note that you made difficult child skip recess today because he did not complete his worksheets. Then you mentioned that his behaviour after recess was much worse - I do feel that skipping recess did not achieve anything positive in terms of ensuring a better completion rate in future. It could in fact be aggravating the behaviour problems, as he needs his breaks from the intense focus he needs in class. If he gets mentally exhausted, you will get even less output from him. Perhaps we need to meet to discuss some constructive ways that we can together increase his productivity."
The Communication Book travels in difficult child's school bag, but is NEVER difficult child's responsibility. In other words, nobody should give it to him to put in his bag, nobody should ask him to fetch it. The teacher must remove it from his bag at school and make sure it goes back in. The parent does the same at home.
THIS WORKS amazingly.

2) Change in mindset needed - the teacher needs to be shown that difficult child is NOT being defiant (I really HATE the term ODD because it implies the child is doing this on purpose, just to be ornery - that is so wrong). difficult child is NOT being lazy, but is in fact simply unable to do the work, under the conditions in which it is presented. But there ARE ways to make it easier for difficult child to get the work done, if he is at all intellectually capable. And these ways need to be communicated to the teacher and every effort made to ease the way for the teacher to implement these methods.
To help the teacher's mindset change, you need to bring in some educational experts. For us, there are people employed by our Department of Eduction who have the training in Special Edf to interpret psychometric test results and other test results, and explain it to school staff in ways thta also set up some practical and positive management strategies. THIS is what the teacher needs - someone who she will listen to, who can say "Try this instead." If there isn't anyone like this, then it needs to be YOU. That means two things:
i) YOU need to learn a lot, fast (but you can do it); and
ii) you need to get the school to recognise your vital strategic position as the parent and expert in thischild's method of functioning.

Where do you learn? Here is a good start. We can point you towards good and useful books. We can help you as a sounding board. You can learn from mistakes we have made and grab any positive experiences and use those too. Between us all, there are strategies that have worked, and ones which have not.

3) You need to communicate to the school, fairly quickly and preferably in writing, that punishment is not going to work here. Ask for the urgent IEP but also at the same time, ask for immediate actioning of the following:
i) homework to stop, immediately, except for an allowance of ONE day over the weekend, max, essential learning material only.
ii) NO punishments for failure to complete work. Instead, observation of conditions where work was successfully completed as well asconditions where there was less success. This is an opportunity to observe and learn, both at home and at school. There must be cooperative communiction and learning in order to come to the IEP meeting with combined material to put on the table to work collaboratively to find a solution. The aim is mutual - getting this boy education and functioning in society.
iii) Positive motivation used where possible. Again, notes taken.

4) Some preliminary recommendations to be implemented immediately where possible, and by "immediately" I mean BEFORE the IEP meeting if it is permitted to be implemented:
i) Communication Book (I know, I'm repeating myself - but this one is vital)
ii) Positive motivation only
iii) Find a quite, distraction-free place for him to actually DO his worksheets. A huge problem for the combination of autism and ADHD, is the sensory stuff. A kid with autism is often hypersensitive to even small noises and vibrations, as well as textures, feelnigs, visual distractions, smells - so much can get in the way. Now visualise the typical classroom, where the kids have been given a written task to do and are eagerly beavering away at it. It is still not a silent room. The scrtch of a pen on paper; the hard texture of the desk under the elbow. A chair scrapes. A kid coughs. Another sniffs. Pencils tap. Shoes kick chair legs or table legs. The floor vibrates to footsteps passing outside. Maybe two blocks away a roadworker is using a jackhammer and the vibrations may not be audible but they can be felt by someone sensitive. The teacher stops to talk now and then, "Don't forget to turn the page over when you've done the first side." A kid with autism is often VERY aware of every little thing and each one pulls him away from his work and interrupts his toughts. A kid with ADHD is going to have thoughts which are easily interrupted, until he develops the technique of concentrating with extreme intensity, so that he has to tune out all noises even to the extent of tuning out the teacher's instructions. I speak from experience here - difficult child 1 learned to do this at about 6 years old. He got even better at it as he got older. I remember when he was studying at home and had gone to the spare room to work; when he came back in a few hours later he said to me, "Sometimes when I'm concentrating, the silence in my head is so loud it's distracting."
The quiet, distraction-free place that the local school found for difficult child 3, was the classroom veranda. They put a second desk for him there. During the lessons, difficult child 3 would sit with the class but in a position where there were no other kids between him and the blackboard; every other person in the line of sight, is a potential major distraction. Moving his desk is an easy way to reduce distraction. Then once the teacher had finished explaining the task, the worksheets would be handed out and difficult child 3 would go to the desk on the veranda. That desk faced a blank wall, preferably a corner. No window in sight, no door. The teacher could see his back. To cut out sound, difficult child 3 wore headphones and used a CD player. We chosee the music carefully. A white noise generator would have been great, but we didn't have one, so we chose music with no lyrics (so he wouldn't sing along) and used classical but stimulating music (Mozart, Vivaldi, some Beethoven, Handel, Bach). He actually helped me choose the music and later on found that music from Japanese animé was very effective indeed.
The drawback of this method was that when the class had to stop work, the teacher would need to go to difficult child 3 and touch him on the shoulder or get his attention in some other way. But it was a small price to pay, for increased productivity.
iv) Use praise as positive motivator. Try a reward system, a sticker chart, a points system - points accumulate as he gets small tasks done. Points are NEVER taken away. Points can be cashed in for something he likes, such as computer time.
v) Break tasks up into manageable pieces.
vi) Take note of what he seems to manage easily (and under what circumstances) and what seems to give ifficulty. Do not expect what you find to make sense, some teachers can see the academic equivalent of a kid who can't crawl, but who can run a marathon. They see this and accuse the non-crawler of "bunging it on".
Example: difficult child 3's English teacher last year. difficult child 3 simply coud not write on the topic, "what the other characters thought the main character was thinking about" because it involved too many degrees of separation. But difficult child 3's vocabulary is in the extreme superior range, so the Englsih teacher claimed tat because he had a university-level vocabulary, he should be capable of university-level work when frankly, he was barely capable of elementary level. She would accuse him of being lazy, or not trying, or "trying tp put one over on me, pretending you can't do it." She is a nice person, she just doesn't "get" him.
vii) Arrange meetings at least once a term to discuss progress and also discuss any interesting observations, to see what ideas they generate.

These recommendations can be overturned at the IEP meeting if the meeting agrees; but trialling things now, gives the team a head start in seeing what could improve things. It also buys everybody time, by easing back on the pressure and also using the time to make observations on how he functions best.

Now, to ask for AT the IEP meeting - see if you can persuade them to get an aide to work with difficult child. The aim of the aide is to ease the teacher's workload, to provide someone whose aim it is to help difficult child transition from one task to another, and to also support him in helping him organise his space, his time and his efforts. Sometimes something as simple as "I can't find my pencil" is beyond a difficult child's ability to resolve in time to get any work done at all. A good aide can pick up on this and get his nose to the grindstone, happily.

Another recommendation - playground supervision. We only ever got this for one school term, it worked brilliantly but it was labour-intensive. Our school didn't want it (for too many reasons, many of which I have never worked out) and with hindsight, I should have fought harder for it. difficult child 3's current placement is working well for him and has shown me how it SHOULD have been.

The angle to take with the school - difficult child has an identified disability. He has highly specific needs which must be accomodated if he is to have fair access to the education which is his right. To plan to punish him for failing to do his work, is to first make the assumption that he is CAPABLE of doing the work. Being smart enough to do it is not sufficient indication of capability; a blind child may be highly adept at mental arithmetic, but unable to copy sums down off the blackboard. To punish difficult child at the moment for not getting work done, is the same as punishing that blind child for poor handwriting or failure to copy accurately. It's like punishing a deaf child for failing to answer when their name is called.

At difficult child 3's school, they will modify the schoolwork to reduce the workload where needed, for a wide range of reasons. Some kids need MORE work, asin plenty more opportunity to practice problems and revise. difficult child 1 at this school was given essay after essay, because he really needed to be drilled in how to answer essay questions. difficult child 3, however, needs the work made as concentrated as possible necause he is very slow in getting the work done. Other students at the school, perhaps kids who are actors, dancers or elite sports stars in the making, haven't got the time for too much revision and so they too get a concentrated program.

So it IS possible. And depending on how your son learns, it may well be the most efficient way for him to be educated.

But how can anybody know, if the school is ignoring the effects on his education of his disability and instead automatically treating him as a naughty child who is being lazy?

Good luck with this one. Have confidence in yourself as an expert on your own child.

Marg

BusynMember

I have never met a Regular Ed teacher who "gets" it. That's why we put son in Special Education. They were at least willing to listen. I always did see the teacher's point of view, even if I didn't always agree with the teachers. They have 25 kids. They have two or three who can't function in class like other kids. They do modifications, but it looks like a deliberate sloughing off to them compared to the other kids. The special needs child also knows he is different and he feels badly.
In my experience, my son didn't learn to socialize at recess. He pretty much played alone. He needed text-book-taught social skills classes in order to learn how to appropriately interact with other kids. However, I don't feel it's appropriate to keep any kid from recess. All of them need a break from a long day, and they also need the exercise.

S

stressbunny

Again, I just want to thank everyone for the overwhelming responses and support. This place really is a soft spot to land!

Susie, Marguerite, and MidwestMom, you all have great thoughts, and I so appreciate them. I have showed my hubby everything, and we do both feel better about everything. We have a lot of great ideas, and I think everything will be okay with the school once we all sit down and communicate. Unfortunately, this teacher is inflexible, but hopefully he'll have someone more understanding next year. His speech and Occupational Therapist (OT) people are great. The Occupational Therapist (OT) person even gave me a sensory brush and showed me techniques, which I use to this day when he's upset and just to help him desensitize. Teachers do have a very tough job, that's for sure.

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted.

StressBunny