First IEP Meeting Today!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sorry I haven't been around the Gen. Board much.
I have had a messed up little 5 yo, N. High Anxiety
And K is a bit unstable due to parties at School and Birthday Parties outside of School. End of School is next week.

We have our first IEP today at 3.
Our Nuero-psychiatric is coming! She is so awesome. This was her idea. She has basically stated that as long as we are in the area, she will follow K's progress, and be here in any capacity to help.

K's Current Teacher wants to set K up with everything she needs to help her for next year. She agrees with everything we have asked for.
The Nurse is going to attend and agrees as well.

If we get one of the caseworkers we have talked with before, she has a son who has BiPolar (BP)!!!
So, K's current teacher has 2 children who are on the Spectrum and we could have a possible caseworker who has a son who has BiPolar (BP).
But word is that the Dept. is really pretty cool.

I was talking to K's teacher and made a comment about another parent who has a son who has BiPolar (BP) in K's class.
She is one of those who demands everything. Regardless of if he needs it or not. Just because it is his rights and the law.
She has threatened to send him in off of medications and then watch from across the street and not pick him up and make them deal with it.
I know these things because she tells me.
I have distanced myself.

She "thinks" he has food issues, but I have been to their house and they feed him carp!
But demand that the school change the food being served just for him! These things cost so much money!

She has a meeting right before us, so I said, "Oh, great every one is going to be in a carpy mood after S gets done! LOL"

The teacher said we have done everything right by taking our time and letting K's issues kind of surface, because she had a 504 and they helped her. Now that she needs more they will help her more. She was basically treated as if she had an IEP by this Teacher.

She agreed that going in with your guns blazing puts everyone on the defensive and puts the higher ups in battle mode.

She wants to save every child, but with the budget cuts... they have to weigh the most important needs.

So I feel really good about this.

This Mom was telling me to demand bus services for K. I said we don't need it. Because we are not on the bus route. This would mean a single bus would have to come get K. That is such a waste of the districts money.
But she does it. She works part time and is home in the morning!
I am a stay at home mom!
She said who cares it is your right and the law!

It just makes me sick.

I have to bake extra things for her son, because she will not send him something on the days when the kids have treats! But she will not let him have the treats that the other kids get!
I do it because I feel sorry for him.
She only does it to make a fuss!

No wonder Schools make the IEP process so hard for so many parents. They are on guard because of parents like her.

She didn't get treated like carp even by them in the beginning, they have given her everything she has asked for.

The principal even got on the bus once and helped her son make it home because he was so out of control.

Sorry to go off on a tangent ! LOL

I am just a bit nervous

Wish us luck.
We actually have someone to watch the girls for once. mother in law

totoro

Thank you! I just read my post. Sorry I went on and on.
I am sitting here writing notes and looking over the accommodations we feel she needs.
We leave in 1 1/2 hours!
We shall see.
I am glad we are in a small school right now.

miles2go

Totoro -- just curious -- how much of medical info (diagnosis/medications/dosage) do you disclose at the IEP meetings? I did disclose all, and it went into record, but now I wonder whether it was such a good idea, to make difficult child medical info accessible to so many more people down the line.
Me -- married dad, 50y.o. give or take
difficult child -- 8y.o. BiPolar (BP), ablfy 7mg

totoro

I know some keep it limited.
But I want the School to fully understand K. I am also willing to battle if I feel they are being prejudice because of her issues.
We moved a year ago because of how her School treated her. I got into a rip-roaring battle with her School. It was not pretty and they had used some of the info.

But I am still willing to disclose all of the info.
I do keep out some of the family info. They do not nee to know that most of my family are drug addicts or that my Father is a Psycho-path! So we do change the Neuro-psychiatric report a bit.

But I am also very an Advocate for Mental Illness, so I am open about my issues as well.
The School Nurse and I talk openly about it.
I feel this will help them understand K better.
But I am also in a very open School, her teacher has 2 sons who are on the spectrum.
The Principal has worked in the Mental Health field for her Doctorate.

But I think I would do it anyway.
They know she hallucinates they know most things about her. Or else they would not understand why she is doing the things she does.

But I do think it depends on the School and the relationship and how you feel about your child's issues.

I don't broadcast her issues but I am willing to share if someone really wants to know.

Hopes this helps.

M

ML

Totoro you are an awesome warrior mom. It is so hard to watch our children suffer with anxiety; they are so young! With your support and encouragement those girls will be okay, I just know it.

I've been absent from the board a lot lately too and I'm trying to catch up. The 20 minutes I used to hop in every morning I've been using to jump on the trampoline. It's such a balancing act with time!

Hugs,

ML