First Night of Homework with New Medication

I

iloveturtles

:919Mad::919Mad:

Makes me want to tear my hair out!

He was switched from 54mg of Concerta to help him get his work done to 30 mg of Metadate ER. I love that he ate a huge dinner that is definitely a plus, and I am hoping that he will get to sleep before 11 pm or midnight tonight. Those are the two reasons for the switch. The new medicine wears off between 3 and 4 pm. I can see the difference. I like his personality better in the afternoons with the new medication. :D

BUT hardly any homework was done. I guess I will email the teachers.

TerryJ2

Two steps forward, three steps back? Everything is a tradeoff with-these kids and medications. Is this something that has to stay in his system every day? I'm wondering if you can alternate between having him eat and having him do his homework, Know what I mean??
Best of luck. I know how hard it is.
I love your avatar! Too funny!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Can you ask your psychiatrist about adding a small dose of something like Focalin (short acting methylphenidate -- wears off in about 4 hours) when he gets home from school to help him get through the homework? Another thought is to try the Daytrana patch. We get about 9 hours of coverage on it once it starts working. You can take it off when homework is done and he should still get his appetite back about an hour after removing it. Just an idea...

I

iloveturtles

Thank you for the ideas.

I am going to take a wait and see attitude right now. I am afraid to add anything or try anything any longer lasting, because of the experience with Concerta. He never went to sleep before 11 pm, and never ate from after breakfast until 7 or 8 pm.

He has dropped aprox 8 lbs since school started. I am just going to work on getting the work done ASAP after school.

It was just a shock because it had gotten very easy to get him to do his homework.

I just hope it doesn't come down to a choice between school/homework vs. food and sleep.

Night all.

BusynMember

Has he ever tried anything other than a stimulant? Do you think he has Aspergers? If so, interventions help, medications not so much.

I

iloveturtles

I don't do just the medication that was perscribed to help him get work done, and to give him an extra minute to think during challenging times.

We see a pediatric behaviorist psychiatric once a month.
He sees a therapist every other week for the PTSD.
He attends a weekly theraputic after school program for social skills and other stuff.
Plus the school psychiatric he sees once a week.

Are there other interventions I should be looking into?

BusynMember

Is he improving? That's what you need to ask yourself.

I do know that my son gets bad on ADHD medication so he is medication free right now and only getting school interventions. But the school interventions have really done the trick. Also, we made sure he gets all his work done in school. He is mainstreamed except for a special needs study hall. He utilizes it well and is able to get all his work done. We never have homework, so there is no homework issues (which is a huge relief!)

All kids are different. Since Aspergers is a neurological disorder, and my son doesn't appear to have any psychiatric issues with it, we don't really do psychiatric therapy. It wasn't helpful for him. We focus more (and intensely) on life skills and social skills, and that's working for him.

Anyway, good luck!!!:D

Alttlgabby

I don't do just the medication that was perscribed to help him get work done, and to give him an extra minute to think during challenging times.

We see a pediatric behaviorist psychiatric once a month.
He sees a therapist every other week for the PTSD.
He attends a weekly theraputic after school program for social skills and other stuff.
Plus the school psychiatric he sees once a week.

Are there other interventions I should be looking into?

Your doctor doesn't have him on anything for the PTSD? We just saw a psychiatric last Thursday for PTSD/ADD/ADHD, etc... and daughter is now on 10 mg of Ritalin in the AM and 10 mg of Paxil in the PM with dinner. It has made a world of difference! I have not had to remind her to get her blue slips signed daily or to get new ones. No calling her 3 times when I need her. She is quick to jump into things and do her chores. She lied the other day and I waited a day and then went and talked to her and she readily admitted that she had lied. This is a child that a week ago would have just looked at me like I was speaking a second language when I asked her something. She got her homework done in like 3 hours the other night (after breaking for dinner as well), and that was with 3 or 4 different subjects, when before it would take her 4 hours with just one subject before!
I hope you find some answers because I know what it is like. Very frustrating! Good Luck!