first psychiatrist visit

idohope

Had posted not too long ago about how things were going. http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f6/things-tough-right-now-33321/ Here is an update.

husband and I went to a first psychiatrist appointment (without difficult child). psychiatrist was highly recommended. He talked to us and asked us questions for almost 1.5 hours. I liked the way he said that ODD describes a behavioral pattern but not underlying issues and that it appeared that something else was going on here. He said he does not believe medications are always the solution but he feels that the intensity of difficult children tantrums and behaviors are so outside the norm that medication is warranted. Based on the information that we provided he thinks he would start with an atypical antipsychotic. Although he does not feel she is exhibiting classic psychotic behavior he felt that given the intensity of her tantrums this was the route to go. He mentioned Risperdal and Seroquel.

But he needs to see difficult child before he can prescribe anything. We discussed how we might get her to the office. Our plan is get the PCs out of the house and for me to drive and husband to restrain difficult child in the car. psychiatrist said he will come to the car to see her if we can get her there but not into the office.

As for taking the medications once prescribed I think we will have to do a stop the world where she can only go to school and no sports, TV, computer, friends etc. unless she is taking medications. However, this will likely lead to tantrums where she will get very physical with me (slapping, punching, kicking) so we need to be ready to call crisis and have her transported. Given that as an option (hospitalization) she may be willing to take the medications. I know the medications need to happen and husband is also on board.

We have never really discussed medications with her. She totally shuts down if we try to discuss her behavior at all. I would welcome suggestions on how to bring that up with her. husband and I are both on antidepressants at this point. Should we share that info with her?

I am so thankful for this forum during this time.

DammitJanet

Well...you sound like you got a good psychiatrist there!

As far as talking with your dtr about medications....have you talked with her about her illness or disorders or anything? If not, I think I would start there. Maybe start by telling her that you know that she has a part of her that makes it hard for her to keep calm and level with her emotions but you know she is trying hard. Sometimes the reason that people have a hard time with keeping their anger and emotions calm is because the coping chemicals in the brain arent in the right combination or levels so sometimes people have to take medications to make those levels right just like some people have to take insulin to help with diabetis or medication for heart problems.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad that your psychiatrist seems so great. Having him take that much time is amazing. Having him offer to go down to the car is even more amazing, in my opinion. Seems he is a keeper, at least so far! He is right about ODD. One of the few docs whom I have heard say that, so he will look hard to piece together the real answers for her!

Will husband be able to restrain her safely in the car? Do you need another adult to sit with them so she is sandwiched between them? Before you pick her up be SURE to flip the child safety thing on the rear car doors. I am talking about that little switch thing that makes it so the door cannot be opened from the inside. It will keep her from trying to leap out while the car is moving.tor

I don't know if what I would tell her about my own medications. Is she the type to try to tell people that her problems are because you are "nuts" and the medications you take prove it? Or will she realize that everyone has to take medications at some point or another. My kids were often at the doctor's office with me, so they always knew I took various medications. It all depends on if you and husband each feel comfortable telling her that you take antidepressants.

Let us know how it goes!

crazymama30

I hope that you are able to get her there without too much trouble. I don't know if I would tell her about your medications, that would depend on her maturity level and I am guessing if she is like many of our kiddos, she is not the most mature in the world.

I am also guessing that she does not have too many friends at school. I think I would broach the subject like her behavior, that she needs help to control like many need glasses to see, is keeping her from having friends. Medications will help her with her emotions/behaviors like glasses help so and so (insert name of someone she knows and likes here who has glasses) to see. I know that many of our kiddos struggle with friends, though some like my difficult child will claim they have tons of friends and do not want to say that they only have a few if they are lucky.

LittleDudesMom

Sounds like a great psychiatrist. Talking to you and husband for and hour and half is great!

You know, my son has been evaluated at our local teaching hospital's mood disorder clinic - no signs of mood disorder or emerging mood disorder (this was prior to middle school - summer of 07). However, in the fall of 04 his psychiatrist recommended the antipsychotic seroquel because difficult child was having some raging issues and a very, very short fuse. He was on a small dose, 25 mg. His official diagnosis has always been as it appears on my sig. I can tell you that the addition of the seroquel really made a difference for my difficult child. His "tantrums", I prefer raging, were only at school and within a couple weeks we saw a real change - his fuse seemed to lengthen a little and the incidents of raging went way, way down. It seemed to just "take the edge off". Bear in mind that I also set really clear guidelines of where I drew the line and what the consequences were for particular violations. Most importantly, the discipline was Consistent, Consistent, Consistent.

He did have to get some blood draws, but after being on the seroquel for three years, he was tapered to just his stimulant. It really made a huge difference for us. I hope, with your difficult child's diagnosis of mood disorder, that you see the same positive results in her tantrum's severity and frequency.

As far as a discussion of medications and behavior, I would talk to her. She can't be happy. Perhaps do it in as non-threatening way as possible. Lay on the bed and read a book together before bed and then start the discussion. Let her know that both you and husband have feelings and emotions inside just like her. That you guys get angry and upset and made all the time. But most people are able to calm themselves and think about what is making them mad before they react. Sometimes we need a little help to accomplish that. You and husband spoke to this wonderful doctor who really thought she sounded like a great kid! He told you that he sees lots of kids in his office that have a hard time dealing with their frustration. Sometimes medicine really helps. So you made her an appointment to talk with this doctor. You really think she is going to like him and he is looking forward to meeting her. Let her know that you love her so very much and want her to enjoy being a kid without always having to worry about getting mad. That's part of being her mom.

You aren't really mentioned "behavior" so much. It's worth a try. At 11 they can't really be bamboozled and if she is having temper issues now, try springing the doctor on her the day of the appointment!

Good luck.

Sharon