First Ray Rice. Now ADRIAN PETERSON!!!

BusynMember

Wow. He beat his four year old bloody...child abuse...a felony. He turned himself in.

Now we'll see what the NFL is made of. Peterson is a huge star and the center of the Vikings team. I wonder if they will have the gonads to ban him indefinitely. in my opinion this is even worse than what Rice did because it is an innocent four year old child, his own son. He said it was done to him so it's all he knew. I don't really care.

Do you think the NFL will have the bowls to indefinitely ban a superstar? We shall see.

I am so over these baseball, basketball and football players and their abusive ways and most of them getting off with a slap on the hands.

DammitJanet

Well I think we all need to wait until he goes through the trial. Being indicted isnt the same as convicted.

Its not uncommon at all at least in the south to take a switch to your kid. I want to wait and hear what the actual evidence is before I decide what his punishment should be. Things can get blown way out of proportion when they get told from one person to another. I know. Years ago Tony whipped Cory with a switch for stealing from neighbors. We had tried everything else to get him to stop and they neighbors were saying that if they caught him in their homes again they would shoot first and ask questions later. He was 12. By the time the reports got from one person to another the cops wanted to arrest me for hitting Cory in the head with a 2x4. That didnt happen. He wasnt hit in the head, he was whipped with a switch on his butt however you can see how things get lost in translation.

For the moment with Peterson it sounds like they have benched him while awaiting his arrest. Im not sure what they should do if he is out on bail. This is America and we are innocent until convicted.

witzend

While it may not be uncommon in the south to take a switch to a kid, it's illegal in Texas just as it's illegal in Minnesota. I had the same thought that it's probably how he was raised, though.

It's not uncommon in Mexico for 40 year old men to take 13 year old common-law wives, either, but it's not legal. They look past it. It makes me sick.

In this day and age a college graduate has to have been told at some point in his life that it is illegal to cold-cock anyone, and it is illegal to take a switch to a child whether someone did it to you as a child or not. It's like saying, "Well my dad beat my mother, so it's what I know." "My middle-aged uncle had sex with the little kids at Thanksgiving, so it's what I know." They know it from experience, and they know it's wrong, too.

donna723

From what I read, this went way beyond any form of punishment that would be appropriate for a child that age. This little boy is just four years old. It went way beyond a few little swats on the butt. This child was left with big welts all down his back, bottom and legs, and the skin was broken in places. And a few times the switch had wrapped around his body causing injuries to the front of him including on his genitals. They said on TV that the child went back to his mother the next day and she was horrified. He already had a scheduled doctors appointment so the doctor saw the injuries too
If the mother hadn't reported it as abuse, the doctor would have. Ray Rice said he had no idea how many times he struck the little boy. There is a line between punishment and abuse and he crossed way over it.

BusynMember

Yep. I read the boy was bloodied all over.

Witz, agree with you. I doubt if everyone down south still takes a switch to a kid either and agree that Adrian Peterson is a college graduate who should know better. He has seen the world. He knows that this isn't the norm. If you were abused as a kid that doesn't give you a right to abuse.

Bet the NFL gets real soft at the thought of doing anything to this superstar. From what I read, Adrian Peterson has lived a very traumatic life, filled with violence and heartache, and it's sad, but it's still no excuse. But professional athletes get away with stuff all the time, which is why Ray Rice was so shocking. Even movie stars don't get away with the garbage that athletes do. I love, love, love football, but I'm glad nobody convicted of abuse is on my team. I honestly don't think the Packers organization would put up with it. They're pretty classy. However, the Vikings owner...not so much. His team is known as proudly thuggish.

S

Signorina

I am trying to write this as kindly as possible. I think you are unfairly categorizing the NFL staff & players based upon the actions of Goodell, Rice, & Peterson. I think it's very dangerous to paint an entire industry or profession - be it police officers or football players or anything else - based upon the actions of some. I absolutely condemn Rice & Peterson for their abuse and Godell for trying to sweep it under the rug. But let's be clear- if Rice or Peterson worked a regular job- they could not and would not be fired for their actions until there was a conclusion of law - a guilty verdict. And there are plenty of heinous abusers working among us all. I am not excusing of defending those abusive %{ @;$/{]** ! But they are in all walks of life and more likely to get away with it in a regular job. I bet plenty of women have been abused by their spouses or significant others in elevators. We've only heard about Rice's wife. How many surveillance tapes are simply ignored?

As for the Green Bay packers being "classy", I bet the teenage girl who was sexually assaulted by Mark Chmurra would disagree.

by the way it's also the NFL who have activated the rightfully cut Bengals player - because they found out his 5 yo daughter has serious cancer and he needs his insurance and income. His jersey is now the #1 best selling jersey in the NFL and the proceeds benefit childhood cancer treatment. The SAINTS head coach personally bought 100 of them.

We all were outraged when Adam Lanza's aspergers was correlated with Newton murders. We knew he was a killer who happened to have Aspergers. Same way rice & Peterson are disgusting abusers who happen to be football players.

BusynMember

Sig, I agree.

I did not mean most athletes are like this. They aren't. My daughter is an athlete and sports have been great for her.

There are, of course, many people in all professions who are scum. However, they are not role models for children, either. And you can fire people for any reason in any job so they can be fired if the company thinks their morals are not up to snuff. Heck, this happened at Goodwill Friday. We were all stunned as the lady had been at Goodwill for twenty years and we are not sure exactly what she did wrong.

The problem I have is when they can get away with it with little consequences. As the teachers here have said, they have morality clauses. Perhaps those in the limelight, especially who impact little kids, should have strict morality clauses in them too.

I don't remember Mark Chmurra's case and wonder if he got canned after whatever happened. For the most part, the Packers do not tend to have criminals nor court troublemakers. If they did, I would be very disappointed. If one of our guys, nobody whom, hurt a child on purpose or battered his wife in public and showed no remorse, I'd rethink if I could support the organization.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your very true clarification.

S

Signorina

Mark Chmurra was found not guilty of rape. However, he later admitted he was entirely inappropriate by getting into the hot tub with his teenage neighbor/babysitter and her teenage friends IN HIS UNDERWEAR - at her prom party.

Despite this- the Packers organization elected him to the packer hall of fame and he now coaches HS football.

Yuck

BusynMember

Oh, Sig. UBER YUK!!!!!!! High school football?????

I really wonder why they are so excused when anyone else would be ostracized?

The rich and famous live by different standards than us, most of the time.

DammitJanet

Actually in NC and maybe other southern states, it is still legal for the school system to spank your child with a wooden paddle. I was never given the option to opt out of that when mine were in school.

I dont agree with beatings but whipping a kids butt can have positive results in some cases.
It seems that lately we are demonizing whole professions for the actions of a few. And even for the actions of the few who havent been convicted. I dont know what the rules are for child abuse in the NFL but I am assuming it would be similar to domestic abuse which would mean the first instance is 6 games and the second is indefinite ban.

BusynMember

Well, Janet, if so that's too bad. If you haven't seen the pictures, this child was beaten bloody all over. He was not whipped on his butt, although I don't agree that this ever changes any child's behavior for the better. I think child abuse charges should be stricter than abusing an adult, who is not completely without recourse. A child who is abused has no recourse and is tiny and helpless and if you've seen the pictures I have no doubt you'd think it was abuse.

Beating a child has never made any child a better person or even more well behaved, but studies have shown that it does make them more prone to violence. And it makes many adult children, such as Adrian Peterson, go overboard and react when he thinks his child has been "bad."

I'm really amazed that the Ray Rice incident is getting more negative feedback than Adrian Peterson's beating of his son. I guess it's true that some parents will think a beating of a child is ok. But there is no compelling studies proving it is ever a good thing. We're not talking about a swat on a diapered butt here. We're talking about a beating. Check the pictures on the link.

This is why even spanking is banned in many countries. It can and often does get out of control and it doesn't make the child a better person and creates violence. If it's illegal for a man to beat his wife, why is it ok to beat his child? I never get an answer to this...After all, before wife abuse was illegal, men only thought they were teaching their wives a lesson...how is this different?

DammitJanet

I havent seen the pictures. If he drew blood then yes that is abuse. I had that done to me many times from a belt when the buckle would hit my skin and tear it open. The welts also would bleed.

I dont agree with beating but spanking or as they call it down here "whup their asses" can be a deterrent. Depends on how hardheaded a kid you have. Im sure you can figure out that my kids were spanked, I was beat and from what I know of Tony's upbringing I would say his father beat him too. None of us are violent. Cory has his issues but violence isnt one of them.

Personally I think a spanking two or three swats on the butt is better than being called every name in the book for hours on end.

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet, I live in the deep south and I have never known anyone to "take a switch" to a child. Also, the metropolitan area school districts around Atlanta have banned corporal punishment for many years now.

I'm sure some of the more rural schools might still use corporal punishment but I would say it is not common in the south anymore.

~Kathy

susiestar

Roll With It
I think that the high profile players are given so much leeway because they bring so much $$ to the teams. Just like that Penn state coach who abused kids for years and worked to villify the first kid who spoke out, they get away with it because many people justify their behavior as 'not knowing better' or that 'they couldn't do something like that'. I think that by treating this football player as someone special, getting him in and out of booking in under 30 min, it is clear that it will not be taken seriously by the local jurisdiction.

The NFL domestic violence policy is NEW and it is highly probably that it will NOT be applied to this player unless public outcry demands it. Why? The team and the player and the lawyers will say that this happened before the policy was widely known so it should not apply, as though before now it was okay to beat your spouse or child because there was no NFL policy against it.

When you add in the serious brain injuries, and the long term effect that Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) has on personality (and I don't know of a case where Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) made a person kinder, gentler, or more patient), well, this is likely the very small tip of the iceberg.

susiestar

Roll With It
As far as the law, OK law requires parents to discipline children. Corporal punishment IS allowed under the law, but CPS will still take your kids from you if you do it. It makes zero sense, but it IS the law. Schools are not EVER allowed to strike a child though, not even private ones. We had one private Christian school quietly close because CPS found out they were spanking kids. Parents tried to say it was allowed because they signed waivers, but CPS said they could either send their kids back to mainstream schools or lose custody because beating kids isn't allowed in schools. The teachers decided that they didn't want to deal with the entire mess, so they just refused to go to school to teach, and the kids got sent either to the public school or they got homeschooled. CPS did make it clear that they would see to it that any future employers knew about the issue if the teachers stayed at the private school.

BusynMember

So...why is it not ok for an adult woman to be beaten with a switch and ok for kids to get it? I still never get an answer.

It's not ok.

Not everyone who has been abused is violent, but it is more likely. Statistics prove it over and over again. How does it help a child to be beaten if he is stubborn and wont' listen? Maybe I'm just slow, but I don't get it. And nobody ever explains it.

Adrian Peterson's story may not go away as the child's mother is furious and the doctor saw the child's welts and said it was abuse. Hard to think he will totally get away with it, BUT that doesn't mean I don't believe the NFL would turn a blind eye if they could. Naturally, it's about money, but I believe the domestic abuse clause was in their contracts. I'm not sure about that.

The Harm of Spanking KidsBacked up by science
There is enough research to prove that spanking kids is very harmful and no parent should do it.

hand.jpg

You might say: “Well, I was spanked and I grew up totally fine”. You are lucky. Because others were spanked and physically abused as children and now they are not that fine.

Is it worth taking risk and thinking your child might be one of those lucky ones too?

1. According to study, physical punishment is linked with mood disorders, anxiety disorders, substance abuse/dependence, and personality disorders.

"The odds of a child being more aggressive at age 5 increased by 50% if he had been spanked more than twice in the month before the study began".

2. The other study proves that frequent use or even minor use of corporal punishments (such as spanking, hitting, slapping) at the age of 3, is associated with a child being more aggressive at age 5.

3. 20 years of Canadian research claims that spanking can slow down developmental growth and can cause life long developmental difficulties in children and lower their IQ.

Physical punishments can affect child’s brain’s grey matter, which is the connecting tissue between brain cells. Grey matters influences intelligence and learning abilities such as speech, sensory, emotions, memory and muscular control.

- See more at: http://www.attachfromscratch.com/spanking-kids.html#spankingharm

PatriotsGirl

I saw the pictures. He is a piece of poo. No excuse. None!! He is a 4 year old!! And he is a football player! So wrong on so, so many levels. That is not discipline. That was taking anger out on a innocent child. Makes me sick!