First Times for Everything!

Pink Elephant

Okay everybody, let's have some fun and reminisce about those "first times"!

- Do you remember your first kiss? I'm talking a real kiss, outside of family/friends. How old were you?

- Remember the first time you tried smoking (cigarettes)? How old were you?

- How about changing a diaper? Were you babysitting? Helping with baby siblings? Changing your first child? How old were you?

- How about the first time you gave a spanking? Was it on your own children? Children you were babysitting? How old were you?

- Remember learning how to sew a button back on by hand? How old were you?

- Remember your first job? Was it babysitting? Working in a store or shop? Helping with a family business? How old were you?

- How about your first home (outside of living at home with your parents)? Was it an apartment? A house? A shared accommodation? How old were you?

Pink Elephant

- Do you remember your first kiss? I'm talking a real kiss, outside of family/friends. How old were you? I sort of remember... a date at a movie theatre. I would have been around age 10.

- Remember the first time you tried smoking (cigarettes)? How old were you? I was really young, like maybe age 8 or 9! I know, bad, bad, bad!

- How about changing a diaper? Were you babysitting? Helping with baby siblings? Changing your first child? How old were you? Oh yes, I remember that! Baby siblings! Age 8, and it was cloth diapers and rubber pants!

- How about the first time you gave a spanking? Was it on your own children? Children you were babysitting? How old were you? Yup, I would have been around age 15 or 16. I was babysitting for a neighbour.

- Remember learning how to sew a button back on by hand? How old were you? I sure do! Age 8 once again!

- Remember your first job? Was it babysitting? Working in a store or shop? Helping with a family business? How old were you? Babysitting, age 10!

- How about your first home (outside of living at home with your parents)? Was it an apartment? A house? A shared accommodation? How old were you? Lived in a rental single-wide trailer in a trailer park/court. Age 20!

AppleCori

Okay everybody, let's have some fun and reminisce about those "first times"!

- Do you remember your first kiss? I'm talking a real kiss, outside of family/friends. How old were you?

Glad to see that you went first, OH! I thought I was going to be the youngest on this one, but obviously not! I was in 7th or 8th grade age(12-13). Went to some French (foreign language) symposium or conference or something, don’t really remember what it was called, with the school group. Met a 9th trader who kissed me behind a bunch of props. He was my first “boyfriend” but it didn’t last long, since I wasn’t allowed to date and we didn’t go to the same school.

- Remember the first time you tried smoking (cigarettes)? How old were you?

Tried it a time or two in high school but didn’t learn how to inhale, so it fizzled quickly.

- How about changing a diaper? Were you babysitting? Helping with baby siblings? Changing your first child? How old were you?

I had a younger sibling when I was ten, so probably changed her diaper a few times, but I don’t specifically remember.

- How about the first time you gave a spanking? Was it on your own children? Children you were babysitting? How old were you?

Didn’t

- Remember learning how to sew a button back on by hand? How old were you?

Don’t specifically remember, but probably fairly young, as my mom and grandmother made most of my clothes till age nine or so.

- Remember your first job? Was it babysitting? Working in a store or shop? Helping with a family business? How old were you?

We farmed, so did that since I was young.

- How about your first home (outside of living at home with your parents)? Was it an apartment? A house? A shared accommodation? How old were you?

AppleCori

The quote thing didn’t work right, so will have to come back to answer this! I answered all the questions, but only the last one came through....

Pink Elephant

The quote thing didn’t work right, so will have to come back to answer this! I answered all the questions, but only the last one came through....
Hi, Apple. I see that, but strangely enough, when I clicked on expand, I seen all of your answers, only they showed in blue. Weird.

Pink Elephant

Yours are in blue, according to my tablet, but mine are the regular black! Strange.....
LOL, Apple! :)

Actually, I should have been specific when I replied to your last post, as your entire post is contained all in a smaller blue shaded box... not the typical plain black letters.

Yep, my answers were done in blue just to help others to see my replies.

Still think the board is wonky. :)

BusynMember

I will answer without the quotes.

I had nada interest in boys until my early teens and remember my first date and first kiss at 14 but it wasn't making out and I didn't like it lol. I was not one of those wild kids although my mother thought I was lol.

I tried smoking at 17 because everyone said I looked young and like a cheerleader and I loathed cheerleaders and the rah rah jocks. I thought smoking would help kill that image. I never inhaled. When this was brought up to me several times I stopped and that was it.i had had a similar very short fling with pot but it made me feel weird and I had no intention of ever smoking pot for long. I have never ever been drunk in my life. This is the truth. I did not try drinking. I thought people did dumb things while drinking.
Maybe we should add the first time smoking pot and first drink question too?

I changed Bart's diapers as my first time and only used paper. I did not help with my younger siblings. I wasn't expected to. My sister and I didnt like each other from early on, my mother didn't work or have any friends so she didn't have a social life for me to have to babysit for and my parents never went out as a couple lol. Truth. I never took care of my siblings nor would I have been a capable sitter. Very immature. Spacy. Probably ADHD. We never had sitters. My mom was ALWAYS home, much to my regret.

I spanked my kids less than the number of fingers on one hand, never hard and always felt bad so this was not a part of my parenting. My two husband's (first and second one) did not spank either.

Dont remember sewing buttons. Know I did but very seldom.

First job was as a clerk typist. Remember typewriters?

I lived in an apartment in Chicago for my first four years until my parents bought a house in the burbs. I remember zero about that apartment.

So that's my firsts. You?

Pink Elephant

I will answer without the quotes.

I had nada interest in boys until my early teens and remember my first date and first kiss at 14 but it wasn't making out and I didn't like it lol. I was not one of those wild kids although my mother thought I was lol.

I tried smoking at 17 because everyone said I looked young and like a cheerleader and I loathed cheerleaders and the rah rah jocks. I thought smoking would help kill that image. I never inhaled. When this was brought up to me several times I stopped and that was it.i had had a similar very short fling with pot but it made me feel weird and I had no intention of ever smoking pot for long. I have never ever been drunk in my life. This is the truth. I did not try drinking. I thought people did dumb things while drinking.
Maybe we should add the first time smoking pot and first drink question too?

I changed Bart's diapers as my first time and only used paper. I did not help with my younger siblings. I wasn't expected to. My sister and I didnt like each other from early on, my mother didn't work or have any friends so she didn't have a social life for me to have to babysit for and my parents never went out as a couple lol. Truth. I never took care of my siblings nor would I have been a capable sitter. Very immature. Spacy. Probably ADHD. We never had sitters. My mom was ALWAYS home, much to my regret.

I spanked my kids less than the number of fingers on one hand, never hard and always felt bad so this was not a part of my parenting. My two husband's (first and second one) did not spank either.

Dont remember sewing buttons. Know I did but very seldom.

First job was as a clerk typist. Remember typewriters?

I lived in an apartment in Chicago for my first four years until my parents bought a house in the burbs. I remember zero about that apartment.

So that's my firsts. You?
I never, ever did pot, not even once. Smoked cigarettes, though, but not until my ten years.

Friday nights was babysitting night (for me) in our house (baby siblings, and occasionally baby cousins, too, when dear aunt would join my folks to go shopping).

I recall the chaos surrounding bedtime roundup, where I'd hunt everyone down, usher them into the bathroom for cleanup, then whisk them off to their rooms and tuck them into their beds. Threats of a spanking were many.

Younger ones in diapers were put into their cribs, changed, and given a bottle. Read bedtime stories, too.

Oh yes, I absolutely remember typewriters! :) Took typing in high-school.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I had no large family on mother's side. My one hated uncle who gave me the willies fortunately didn't marry until late 40s and didn't breed. My dad had a big, probably, maybe? fun family but Mother ruled our domain and she didn't want us to be close to them and Dad was afraid of her I believe so I had no nieces or nephews in my life to have to maybe watch. My mother had no sisters with kids to be close to.

My life and family was very odd
My mom did not drive. I don't remember her shopping
She must have done it on Saturdays when my grandma came over. I loved my grandma to the moon! My grandma didn't drive either so l think my grandpa drove Mother to the store for food and I got Grandma babysitting time but details are unclear to me.

Except for that and grandpa driving me to drama and singing lessons (I think my mother came with) my mom was housebound and delegated no chores to anyone. She did not clean or cook much herself. She did manage to scapegoat me badly...we had a typical dysfunctional family run by Mother and she had her golden child, my brother, the child she ignored (the lost child) my sister, and the scapegoat for all that was wrong with our family unit....me. I am still seen as such which is why I no longer want any contact with my sister. She thinks that my mother was right and I think my brother does too....so there is no point in contact. But our family weirdness made my early life very unusual. I was never taught the things kids should know or coping skills or responsibility and I was made to feel by all in my little family that I was bad and crazy and the problem. I see how silly that is now, but back then I believed it. Even now my sister diagnosed me as borderline so I give up. I don't have it. I am in therapy and have been since 23, and never gotten that diagnosis, but she needs to think very badly of me.

In truth I believe my mother was the borderline. People to her were either all good or all bad and she was extremely angry, cruel to me, her bad daughter, and she had a horrible temper and little empathy. At least, she was that way to me.

In spite of being raised with no skills taught, we lived in a wealthy area although we were not wealthy and we picked up the sort of spoiled kid deal from the neighborhood peers...many I knew had maids, even butlers. Maybe some kids had chores. I was not popular. But the few kids I knew did not have chores that I remember.

I look back and these are my impressions. No wonder I never changed a diaper.

I vowed my kids would grow up differently. They did. And I was very careful not to call my kids names, even at their worst because my mother's words were in my head a long time. And they all had chores and responsibility and Princess changed diapers for Sonic and Jumper. Paper ones though...lol.

My childhood was a nightmare and I didn't learn much at home and had anxiety at school. Everything I learned, I learned outside of home. And the love came when married my second husband. Since him, I have lived a normal, peaceful life and my self esteem shot up. I so appreciate and adore my family of choice, maybe more than usual because I was so ostracized in my upside down family of origin.

Old Hand, I can feel your affection for your childhood. How blessed you are to have had that!! I am happy for you.

So many of your experiences are foreign to me. Our family was not close nor did anyone teach or guide me into adulthood. I was always a family outcast but that was good, as I am able to connect deeply and intimately with others and I don't think my sister can, maybe from staying close to so much dysfunction. She has never had a recipricated love relationship. I feel very badly for her because of that. But my mother didn't have luck in love either. Only I have. Ironic.

Sorry to rob this great topic. Guess I had to emote lol. Carry on ;)

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I had no large family on mother's side. My one hated uncle who gave me the willies fortunately didn't marry until late 40s and didn't breed. My dad had a big, probably, maybe? fun family but Mother ruled our domain and she didn't want us to be close to them and Dad was afraid of her I believe so I had no nieces or nephews in my life to have to maybe watch. My mother had no sisters with kids to be close to.

My life and family was very odd
My mom did not drive. I don't remember her shopping
She must have done it on Saturdays when my grandma came over. I loved my grandma to the moon! My grandma didn't drive either so l think my grandpa drove Mother to the store for food and I got Grandma babysitting time but details are unclear to me.

Except for that and grandpa driving me to drama and singing lessons (I think my mother came with) my mom was housebound and delegated no chores to anyone. She did not clean or cook much herself. She did manage to scapegoat me badly...we had a typical dysfunctional family run by Mother and she had her golden child, my brother, the child she ignored (the lost child) my sister, and the scapegoat for all that was wrong with our family unit....me. I am still seen as such which is why I no longer want any contact with my sister. She thinks that my mother was right and I think my brother does too....so there is no point in contact. But our family weirdness made my early life very unusual. I was never taught the things kids should know or coping skills or responsibility and I was made to feel by all in my little family that I was bad and crazy and the problem. I see how silly that is now, but back then I believed it. Even now my sister diagnosed me as borderline so I give up. I don't have it. I am in therapy and have been since 23, and never gotten that diagnosis, but she needs to think very badly of me.

In truth I believe my mother was the borderline. People to her were either all good or all bad and she was extremely angry, cruel to me, her bad daughter, and she had a horrible temper and little empathy. At least, she was that way to me.

In spite of being raised with no skills taught, we lived in a wealthy area although we were not wealthy and we picked up the sort of spoiled kid deal from the neighborhood peers...many I knew had maids, even butlers. Maybe some kids had chores. I was not popular. But the few kids I knew did not have chores that I remember.

I look back and these are my impressions. No wonder I never changed a diaper.

I vowed my kids would grow up differently. They did. And I was very careful not to call my kids names, even at their worst because my mother's words were in my head a long time. And they all had chores and responsibility and Princess changed diapers for Sonic and Jumper. Paper ones though...lol.

My childhood was a nightmare and I didn't learn much at home and had anxiety at school. Everything I learned, I learned outside of home. And the love came when married my second husband. Since him, I have lived a normal, peaceful life and my self esteem shot up. I so appreciate and adore my family of choice, maybe more than usual because I was so ostracized in my upside down family of origin.

Old Hand, I can feel your affection for your childhood. How blessed you are to have had that!! I am happy for you.

So many of your experiences are foreign to me. Our family was not close nor did anyone teach or guide me into adulthood. I was always a family outcast but that was good, as I am able to connect deeply and intimately with others and I don't think my sister can, maybe from staying close to so much dysfunction. She has never had a recipricated love relationship. I feel very badly for her because of that. But my mother didn't have luck in love either. Only I have. Ironic.

Sorry to rob this great topic. Guess I had to emote lol. Carry on ;)
I think the world of you, SOT! :) Just wanted you to know that. I love how strong you are (inside and out). It comes out in your writing, and I just love, love, love your replies!

My mom was one of those homemaker/homebodies, doing everything from scratch, staying at home 24/7 with us kids, and doing all of the typical domestic things a typical housewife/homemaker did back in the 60's and 70's. Cooking, baking, housecleaning, shopping, baby/childcare, even babysitting for friends, family, and neighbours. Mom was always busy doing something or another.

I was a little too young to help much with the oldest of siblings, other than fetching and holding things for mom, but I helped and pitched-in (a ton) with baby siblings born 1968, 1971, and 1973. I really was the other mom (and set of hands) in the home when it came to their care.

Diapers, bottles, bathing, laundry, general housework, even easy meal-prep and cooking, I did it all. Also remember babysitting for an aunt once or twice weekly as well.

We were really poor, like I remember watching mom rummage around in the pantry and cupboards days before dad would get paid, to put together a meal for us. Sad to think of now. Anyhow, as you can imagine, being poor meant standard old-fashioned cloth diapers in our home, along with all other things frugal and thrifty. i.e., Homemade baby food and formula, mom did a ton of sewing and mending, and nothing was tossed until every last ounce and drop of life had been squeezed and beaten out of it.

No meals out of the home, bagged lunches for school, and no vacations.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the responsibility of helping around the home when I was growing up, and, taking care of my baby sibs. It had a way of making me feel older... more mature, and the hands-on experience proved to be a true asset when it came to finding babysitting work when I was old enough to start babysitting outside of our home. The phone rang off the hook! Mothers for blocks around wanted me as their sitter.

So fun to be able to reminisce our pasts.

Pink Elephant

My sister was born in the late 70s, and I don’t recall her ever having cloth diapers. By that time, with many mothers in the workforce, disposable diapers were pretty common.
You're right, I remember by the late 70's, disposable diapers were starting to gain popularity, though having babysat all through the 70's and into the early 80's, there were still a good number of homes I sat at where cloth diapers were still in use, mind you, few mothers I babysat for worked outside the home.

Pink Elephant

And of course who can forget riding a (two-wheeled) bike! I would have been somewhere around age 4, possibly 5, when I learned. Took many spills.