Fix me, Mom Part II

F

flutterbee

She did ok today (Wednesday - although, technically it's Thursday now). She took Jewel for a walk and had tutoring tonight. Afterwards we went for a drive just to get out of the house, played some cards and watched Cold Case I had recorded - she loves that show.

She seemed on the edge, though. Like any second, one wrong move and she was going to dissolve.

I have to leave at 8am for a doctor appointment, but as soon as I get back I'll be on the phone again.

Her tutoring is about over, but her tutor thinks she needs more. This is the tutor the SD is paying for. She's going to put in a request for more hours. I hope this goes through because Wynter really likes her tutor and even though she hates math, she looks forward to her coming. Plus, this tutor has really connected with Wynter and she is making huge improvements. Math has always intimidated Wynter, so she would shut down before she even got started. I think it's important we keep building her confidence in this. It will be good for her overall, not just for math.

Her tutor also privately tutors Spanish and has offered us half rate, so I think we're going to take her up on that.

I hope that makes sense. I haven't slept much. I guess I'm trying to say that I want to continue with the things that are working for her right now and keep building on those positive experiences.

meowbunny

Heather, you are absolutely doing the right thing for Wynter. You're being proactive in trying to find her help while letting her succeed at home where she can. That's all any parent can do.

I wish I had had your strength and knowledge and, most importantly, your compassion when my daughter was Wynter's age. I truly didn't understand my daughter's pain and just got angry and frustrated. I forced her to go to school. I forced her to survive but I didn't help her. You are helping Wynter. It took me at least three more years of forcing mine before it got through my thick skull that I needed to help my child more. She was and is a strong young lady but not so strong that she didn't need more of my understanding and less of my strength. Wynter gets the best of both -- your compassion, understanding and your strength. You will hold her up when she needs that. You will push her when she needs that push. You can't take away her pain but you can make it bearable. That's what you are doing.

Hugs to you both. I have faith in you. You will help Wynter through this. Hopefully, she will come out of this stronger and more willing to be proactive when she needs it in the future. If not, you'll be there to push her when she needs it.